Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I have a bit of useful information for my fellow Missouri p5 owners. I bought my p5 back in November, I went in to my local DMV to pay my sales tax and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I didn’t have to pay up since it’s a side by side.(we only pay on atvs) I couldn’t believe that was the case, how many governmental agencies aren’t standing there with their hand out ready to take your hard earned money? Well after some digging and an email to the DMV in Jefferson City I found out that my local office was wrong. I did in fact owe sales tax on my P5..... why??, because it’s classified as an atv because of its width and dry weight. My local office waved the penalties for being late since I hade to prove it to them and show them I was right. So why not play dumb?? The problem comes when you go to renew your tags on your vehicle, when you bought your P5, your dealer sent a copy of the title app to the state DMV. Just imagine being told you owe $567 when you are standing at the counter trying to renew your tags which aren’t cheap either. They will actually not let you renew without squaring up! Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who has been disinformed about this subject, have a good one.

Reactions: jinx and Chooglin
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys, I have a bit of useful information for my fellow Missouri p5 owners. I bought my p5 back in November, I went in to my local DMV to pay my sales tax and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I didn’t have to pay up since it’s a side by side.(we only pay on atvs) I couldn’t believe that was the case, how many governmental agencies aren’t standing there with their hand out ready to take your hard earned money? Well after some digging and an email to the DMV in Jefferson City I found out that my local office was wrong. I did in fact owe sales tax on my P5..... why??, because it’s classified as an atv because of its width and dry weight. My local office waved the penalties for being late since I hade to prove it to them and show them I was right. So why not play dumb?? The problem comes when you go to renew your tags on your vehicle, when you bought your P5, your dealer sent a copy of the title app to the state DMV. Just imagine being told you owe $567 when you are standing at the counter trying to renew your tags which aren’t cheap either. They will actually not let you renew without squaring up! Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who has been disinformed about this subject, have a good one.

We've been in MO for a little less than a year and been wondering about the tax procedures here as well.
When we bought our 700-4 the dealer stated that they don't charge sales tax on 50" and larger width SxS's. I've been a little paranoid since waiting for the shoe to drop lol

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've been in MO for a little less than a year and been wondering about the tax procedures here as well.
When we bought our 700-4 the dealer stated that they don't charge sales tax on 50" and larger width SxS's. I've been a little paranoid since waiting for the shoe to drop lol
I’m not a big fan of taxes to begin with, but to selectively charge sales tax is pretty ignorant in my opinion. They are losing revenue by doing this, if someone wants to depreciate their side by side it should be up to them to do it. Seems to make more sense to me. As I understand the document the DMV sent me you are good to go on your 700. It is pretty confusing to say the least.

Reactions: jinx
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree, and I agree it's a confusing state in some ways but we're slowly learning. I have to say that in most ways and the cost of living is great though. Especially compared to California lol

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, and I agree it's a confusing state in some ways but we're slowly learning. I have to say that in most ways and the cost of living is great though. Especially compared to California lol
Welcome to Missouri, the cost of living is pretty reasonable here for sure. Hope you enjoy everything the state has to offer.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I live in Wyoming, but I bought mine in Montana where there is no sales tax. After about 2-1/2 years I decided in case I ever want to sell it or trade it that I probably better pay the WY sales tax so I can get the required title. So ended up paying thru the ass, as there was a penalty and interest from 45 days after date of purchase. Cost me $731 :mad:

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Wyoming, but I bought mine in Montana where there is no sales tax. After about 2-1/2 years I decided in case I ever want to sell it or trade it that I probably better pay the WY sales tax so I can get the required title. So ended up paying thru the ass, as there was a penalty and interest from 45 days after date of purchase. Cost me $731 :mad:
Ouch!!!

R

Rustell

No way around it... they're gonna get you one way or another.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No way around it... they're gonna get you one way or another.
I wish you were wrong but unfortunately you’re correct. If only we made the rules ;).

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I went through the same hassle when I bought my 500. The local DMV office said that I didn't need to register/pay taxes on it since it's a Side by Side/UTV. About 6 months later I got a really nasty letter from the state saying that I owe taxes and a hefty late fee. I called Jefferson City to get the scoop and was told that since the Pioneer 500 is 50" or less on width, it has to be registered the same as an ATV. Yes took all that info to the local DMV and they didn't believe me until they called Jeff City themselves. They did wave all the late fees for me.

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went through the same hassle when I bought my 500. The local DMV office said that I didn't need to register/pay taxes on it since it's a Side by Side/UTV. About 6 months later I got a really nasty letter from the state saying that I owe taxes and a hefty late fee. I called Jefferson City to get the scoop and was told that since the Pioneer 500 is 50" or less on width, it has to be registered the same as an ATV. Yes took all that info to the local DMV and they didn't believe me until they called Jeff City themselves. They did wave all the late fees for me.
They waved the fees for me as well. You would think your local office would at least know what to collect on. In my opinion, they should charge sales tax on all atv/utv’s, if someone wants to take it off their taxes it should’ve up to them to do so.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!