Pickup Campers

J

JTW

I like it!!

We started out horse camping with a slide out and a cornpro stock trailer.. we went to Disney one year when I was but a tot and stayed in the camper in a deserted parking lot on the beach. I remember waking up to the sun coming up over the ocean thru that narrow camper door as Dad was fixing coffee in the percolator. I have fond memories of those times. It’s funny how the times when you have the least you you’re often the happiest and hold those memories a little tighter. I sometimes wonder if I’m doing right by my kids with our standard of living. We work and work to give our loved ones the “best” life... but is it really better? More comfortable? Sure! But will they hold the memories of the experiences the way I did? Or am I robbing them of that? I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@JACKAL you already have a bad ass rig but I can understand the need for something smaller occasionally. We started with tent then almost immediately went to camper. My only problem was the continued maintenance and need for a cover so that’s when the bus came around. Mileage was better but that’s different deal. After so many years of dealing with shear size and everything feeling like a chore it started effecting how often we made it out. Moved back to tent and got out more often and had more fun. That’s why we went small this time. Something so nice about getting into something efficient and not needing to drag the whole damn house with you. It use to feel like we were camping with the house and honestly ruined the experience for us.
We like to camp and feel it, sometimes good or bad but a camper imo should be somewhere to sleep and make food. Nice to have an actual mattress and a late night s***ter though lol. We will still tent camp from our roots but it’s nice to have something easy to get up into wherever you want to go.
Why I’m saying all that is a camper is an easy way to do so especially if you got the truck. You do. Dually to boot which increases your options. I don’t like carrying big campers on single axle, your truck will take anything, so like I saw suggested I’d go a lance or something nice but maybe a bit older. Be best with a one piece roof. Most of this you already know. Who knows though maybe you’ll get out more then you’d think to different places with something easier and more efficient. Whatever your decision best of luck and enjoy yourself!

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
we used to tent camp for years, we had a trailer full of bins we had to set up and the last time I remember we had to get in the car it was so cold, right after we got a 24ft coachman with no canvas, all those little campers and pop up just seem like all the drawbacks of a tent supposed to be a vacation, the trailers have room to leave all your crap and get to enjoyment quick. and the wife wouldn't be using an outside shower and john when its 20 or 30 deg in the morning. we have a lot nicer one now thankfully but that coach we had like 12years and payed like 5k. the new one I can stand and shower, super lazy setup, with remotes so we can just get to drinking, supposed to be what camping is about and the kids making memories.
20170225 134228

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL you already have a bad ass rig but I can understand the need for something smaller occasionally. We started with tent then almost immediately went to camper. My only problem was the continued maintenance and need for a cover so that’s when the bus came around. Mileage was better but that’s different deal. After so many years of dealing with shear size and everything feeling like a chore it started effecting how often we made it out. Moved back to tent and got out more often and had more fun. That’s why we went small this time. Something so nice about getting into something efficient and not needing to drag the whole damn house with you. It use to feel like we were camping with the house and honestly ruined the experience for us.
We like to camp and feel it, sometimes good or bad but a camper imo should be somewhere to sleep and make food. Nice to have an actual mattress and a late night s***ter though lol. We will still tent camp from our roots but it’s nice to have something easy to get up into wherever you want to go.
Why I’m saying all that is a camper is an easy way to do so especially if you got the truck. You do. Dually to boot which increases your options. I don’t like carrying big campers on single axle, your truck will take anything, so like I saw suggested I’d go a lance or something nice but maybe a bit older. Be best with a one piece roof. Most of this you already know. Who knows though maybe you’ll get out more then you’d think to different places with something easier and more efficient. Whatever your decision best of luck and enjoy yourself!

Exactly what you said about dragging the whole darn house, for as nice as my 45' toyhauler was, it still didn't fit a single Pioneer 1000 properly, and I wanted the option to take 2 full size sxs and a P500 on the occasions we ride away from TN, by the same token want to be able to run to Myrtle Beach etc. for 3 days and just park easily near the ocean etc. without any trailers.

A single piece aluminum roof is a must, been looking at decent used stuff online, several options in the $1,500-$4,000 range of the older Lance models, which is the standard others are judged by.

Just like you mentioned, just want a comfortable, warm, and dry place to sleep any time of year. Don't need a ton of room, a decent shower and the portable toilet can do the trick.

After essentially living on the road in my pickup the last 3 years, you can make out most of the time hitting truckstops for getting a good long shower, etc. Using the camper bathroom for when your parked away from such amenities.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Exactly what you said about dragging the whole darn house, for as nice as my 45' toyhauler was, it still didn't fit a single Pioneer 1000 properly, and I wanted the option to take 2 full size sxs and a P500 on the occasions we ride away from TN, by the same token want to be able to run to Myrtle Beach etc. for 3 days and just park easily near the ocean etc. without any trailers.

A single piece aluminum roof is a must, been looking at decent used stuff online, several options in the $1,500-$4,000 range of the older Lance models, which is the standard others are judged by.

Just like you mentioned, just want a comfortable, warm, and dry place to sleep any time of year. Don't need a ton of room, a decent shower and the portable toilet can do the trick.

After essentially living on the road in my pickup the last 3 years, you can make out most of the time hitting truckstops for getting a good long shower, etc. Using the camper bathroom for when your parked away from such amenities.
You’re truck sure won’t care what you bring but ya if you’re trying to bring more then one Sxs I can see the need for something different. Good problem to have lol.
Another option would be throwing a couple goods in your trailer, and making it usable. But with your pickup and that trailer I think camper is way to go and especially if you’re finding something nice for under 4K. You got all the room needed in the trailer so the camper wouldn’t ever need to be packed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I really like the 4 Wheel Camper pop ups, like what @100Acre Has (but without the extra tall 9.5' interior height)(and I'm thinking I don't need the 5 gallon bucket either).
At the takeover last year he kindly gave my wife the grand tour.
Got permission to replace the toy hauler but no budget.
(Its kind of a trick she pulls on me, have permission to park an antique bus behind the barn, but no budget for that)
Wife doesn't like the tent section due to her concerns about cold weather.

I'm thinking my 2nd choice is something on Craigslist cheap.

You need to establish that no budget, means exactly that, no limit. I got 2 ex wives that would testify that's what I thought it meant. :D

Reactions: Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You’re truck sure won’t care what you bring but ya if you’re trying to bring more then one Sxs I can see the need for something different. Good problem to have lol.
Another option would be throwing a couple goods in your trailer, and making it usable. But with your pickup and that trailer I think camper is way to go and especially if you’re finding something nice for under 4K. You got all the room needed in the trailer so the camper wouldn’t ever need to be packed.

Somebody has to take @Hondasxs unit to the rides all over (TX, UT, etc.) don't see anyone else volunteering :D. Still I have 5 young grandchildren that will be riding age soon enough so, getting the right size trailer early will help, then if I travel more often and with more than just wife will explore a bunkhouse motorhome, but that's over 5 years away.

Now if Honda will get thier ass in gear with youth SXS with the 125cc GROM motor that 48" wide, that would be nice.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been the big toyhaulers route x2, considered the motorhome and enclosed trailer route, but what if already have a capable HD pickup and only make occasional trips and only need to sleep 2 people?

Seriously considering going the pickup camper route with an enclosed 28ft trailer for the toys.

This unit, Capri Campers built in TX is half the price (about $19k as pictured and equipped below)of the equivalent LANCE or Artic Fox campers with similar equipment at $45k range.

Capri Camper | World's Best Truck Camper

View attachment 118420
View attachment 118413 View attachment 118415 View attachment 118416 View attachment 118417 View attachment 118414 View attachment 118418 View attachment 118419
I've spent a lot of time trying to decide what the best camping set up is that would accommodate all the different kinds of trips I take. I like the pickup camper idea as I could easily add trailer and toys or just take the camper. But when the prices are equivalent to a 5th wheel and not even half the space it's hard to rationalize. I havent seen this brand before and the price is certainly very appealing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've spent a lot of time trying to decide what the best camping set up is that would accommodate all the different kinds of trips I take. I like the pickup camper idea as I could easily add trailer and toys or just take the camper. But when the prices are equivalent to a 5th wheel and not even half the space it's hard to rationalize. I havent seen this brand before and the price is certainly very appealing.

I had been doing quite a bit of additional research on the Capri campers. They offer a fairly good value compared to the Lance pickup camper series. After closely seeing how the capri is constructed out of 2x2 wood I began questioning my choice.

When it was all said and done I have chosen to go with a Lance 850 model. After involving the wife a regular crapper with a tank instead of a cassette toilet was mandatory. Using some contacts in the RV industry was able to get a great deal on a new unit that I just couldn't pass up, especially since it is all aluminum welded structure with azdel core insulation throughout and the 1 piece roof. Icing on the cake was the refrigerator / freezer is double the size of most pickup campers and can run 12v, LP, or 115v with 200 watt solar panels on roof to keep everything going. The efficient AC setup can run off the super quiet Honda EU2200i generator for 8 hrs on less than a gallon of fuel.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had been doing quite a bit of additional research on the Capri campers. They offer a fairly good value compared to the Lance pickup camper series. After closely seeing how the capri is constructed out of 2x2 wood I began questioning my choice.

When it was all said and done I have chosen to go with a Lance 850 model. After involving the wife a regular crapper with a tank instead of a cassette toilet was mandatory. Using some contacts in the RV industry was able to get a great deal on a new unit that I just couldn't pass up, especially since it is all aluminum welded structure with azdel core insulation throughout and the 1 piece roof. Icing on the cake was the refrigerator / freezer is double the size of most pickup campers and can run 12v, LP, or 115v with 200 watt solar panels on roof to keep everything going. The efficient AC setup can run off the super quiet Honda EU2200i generator for 8 hrs on less than a gallon of fuel.

BUT if you have a truck that can pull a 5th wheel toyhauler or carry a Pickup camper and the price for a toyhauler is LESS why not not buy 5th wheel if you have the space to store it?

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sounds like a pretty nice set up.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
BUT if you have a truck that can pull a 5th wheel toyhauler or carry a Pickup camper and the price for a toyhauler is LESS why not not buy 5th wheel if you have the space to store it?

There are times I want to camp for 2 or 3 days without bringing any trailer, thus I can sleep anywhere you can park just a pickup, so the root answer to why is versatility. Additionally I have yet to see a Toyhauler that can carry 3 SXS and sleep people without having to unload the toys. That's the 2nd big reason.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are times I want to camp for 2 or 3 days without bringing any trailer, thus I can sleep anywhere you can park just a pickup, so the root answer to why is versatility. Additionally I have yet to see a Toyhauler that can carry 3 SXS and sleep people without having to unload the toys. That's the 2nd big reason.
True 2-3 would be a benefit.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the same issue. I want to travel up through Montana and not drag a big camper the whole way. A nice pickup camper with an enclosed if needed would offer a variety of options. I've got the trailer now I need a pickup camper.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same issue. I want to travel up through Montana and not drag a big camper the whole way. A nice pickup camper with an enclosed if needed would offer a variety of options. I've got the trailer now I need a pickup camper.

Not to many with a bathroom for a 6.5" bed.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to many with a bathroom for a 6.5" bed.
For years in my travels, I always tried to camp next to water. It was a free bath in the wilderness. A great thing, especially after a solid day of overlanding western trails. Almost every place was near cold as snowmelt. Made you feel alive. Invigorating it was... I still look for water to camp next too. If I know I'm gonna be in state for a while, I will sometimes pick up a out of state fishing liscence.
I am an aquarium you know.....
IMG 0797
Fullsizeoutput 314

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!