P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 build

chad484

chad484

Sep 14, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hking94 they are a set of shocks like Elkas or walker evans or fox type in yahoo 814utvsuspension.com

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hking94 they are a set of shocks like Elkas or walker evans or fox type in yahoo 814utvsuspension.com
Not really as they are not adjustable, they are like a stock shock with improved valving.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just because no one has done it smitty335
20200510 020119

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are the 2 knobs marked C and R for, if not to adjust?
True you can fine tune them but they aren’t quick adjusting for soft, medium and firm based on terrain and you have to make sure you dial all four corners exactly, can’t just change all 4 corners in 5 sec exactly and you may not adjust them enough the first time so will need to play with them. They are an old way of doing a shock, doesn’t mean they are bad, but they are not worth $1300 in my view, tell me how many race teams do you see using this shock tech with a basic shock?

I guess I should of said they don’t have a quick way to adjust compression and are more of a set it and leave it, I’m not knocking them and if people think they are a good shock and are happy with them that is all that matters but I wouldn’t put them on the same level as Fox, Elka or WE, I would say Elka stage 1 shocks are similar to 814.

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True you can fine tune them but they aren’t quick adjusting for soft, medium and firm based on terrain and you have to make sure you dial all four corners exactly, can’t just change all 4 corners in 5 sec exactly and you may not adjust them enough the first time so will need to play with them. They are an old way of doing a shock, doesn’t mean they are bad, but they are not worth $1300 in my view, tell me how many race teams do you see using this shock tech with a basic shock?

I guess I should of said they don’t have a quick way to adjust compression and are more of a set it and leave it, I’m not knocking them and if people think they are a good shock and are happy with them that is all that matters but I wouldn’t put them on the same level as Fox, Elka or WE, I would say Elka stage 1 shocks are similar to 814.
Let me say ... I am NOT a shock expert, BUT my understanding is the C knob Is to adjust the compression and R knob for rebound adjustment. As for the Fox that come with Honda, pretty sure they don't compare to Elka 5. I doubt there are many race teams running any $1300 shocks. I doubt any 4 shocks can be adjusted in 5 seconds on the machine, but 814 can be adjust within one minute, which seems fast enough.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me say ... I am NOT a shock expert, BUT my understanding is the C knob Is to adjust the compression and R knob for rebound adjustment. As for the Fox that come with Honda, pretty sure they don't compare to Elka 5. I doubt there are many race teams running any $1300 shocks. I doubt any 4 shocks can be adjusted in 5 seconds on the machine, but 814 can be adjust within one minute, which seems fast enough.
Haha, true on the Elka stage 5 and also their pricing, does Shock Therapy have any upgraded valving/springs etc for 814 shocks? Many use their service to upgrade Elka, WE and Fox for Baja racing, not sure anyone in Baja uses 814 but could be wrong, many use Elka, WE and Fox.

The Fox can, they have a nice setting knob to quickly turn all 4 sides to the same setting or whatever you want, takes seriously a sec for each shock But this is only for compression.

All 814 did was take a factory mono shock, change the spring and maybe some valving, to me they should be priced around $700-$800 for what they are, not $1300. The Fox shocks are only $175 more then the 814 if you look around. Now if you feel the 814 is a better option then I’d go that route.

The Fox aren’t perfect and can be improved for sure but for the cost of the 814 why not get a better foundation with options?

Is the 814 compression and rebound clicks or do you just turn it? Hopefully clicks so you can set them all the same easily.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha, true on the Elka stage 5 and also their pricing, does Shock Therapy have any upgraded valving/springs etc for 814 shocks? Many use their service to upgrade Elka, WE and Fox for Baja racing, not sure anyone in Baja uses 814 but could be wrong, many use Elka, WE and Fox.

The Fox can, they have a nice setting knob to quickly turn all 4 sides to the same setting or whatever you want, takes seriously a sec for each shock But this is only for compression.

All 814 did was take a factory mono shock, change the spring and maybe some valving, to me they should be priced around $700-$800 for what they are, not $1300. The Fox shocks are only $175 more then the 814 if you look around. Now if you feel the 814 is a better option then I’d go that route.

The Fox aren’t perfect and can be improved for sure but for the cost of the 814 why not get a better foundation with options?
On doubt, always smart to get the best of the buck. My point was, I doubt any race team is using the stock honda Fox shocks either, for $1400. They all pretty well get the BEST they can afford. Like I said, I have no knowledge on the INTERNAL workings of shocks, but do know there are external adjustments for C and R on the 814s. That was my sole reason for replying to statement of .... they are not adjustable.

Reactions: Lady01 and tdhanses
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
814's are just Viking shocks with the 814 sticker on them. They are a generic shock in the sense that they aren't specific to any machine, which is why you need limit straps with the shock setup he sells as they are too long for the Pioneer. There are compression and rebound adjustments on the shocks that can be adjusted externally. I don't think they are a bad shock, but I think a lot of people screw up all the settings by getting in there and turning those knobs thinking it's like the Fox QS3 and then it's so far gone they don't know where to begin to correct it. I think they (814) started doing "custom" setups where he will mess with the valving for you as well but I have never seen/ridden in a machine with those.

This is straight from his website:

Tyrel

Tyrel

Jul 31, 2018
Jonesboro Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well here’s my build 4inch portals with 814 shocks supertav arched a arms 1.5 inch wheel spacers swamp donkey stereo super atv heater rear window 30 inch system 3 xtrs doors and mid panel should be here this week and the dynojet tuner

View attachment 239683 View attachment 239684
What is the height of your rid to the top of the roll cage? I am running the forward arched a arms and 32s with 4in portals and have rubbing issues at full turn. Thinking about buying the 814s but was curious if it would add overall height to the machine or just bring the wheels in a bit because I know I'm squatting with the stock shocks.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!