P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe - Accessories - Lights ? - Small Fortune Tied Up In This Thing?

C

Clew In

Oct 9, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4

3. 1000-5
I have a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe ordered and I have decided to order the Honda hard roof, under dash pocket, rear bumper and the Super ATV Flip up windshield.
I am thinking about adding some lights and wanted some thoughts from others.
Long light bar for hood or top of roof? Curved or straight (does it really matter?)?
I saw some post about the branches ripping off roof mounted light bar and I understand that; however, it seems the light from top would be ideal? - How durable are these lights (will they hold up to brush and small branches that grow over trails?)
Rear lights - Should I go with. a small light bar near middle bumper or two lights from each side of rear roof?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Tom

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe ordered and I have decided to order the Honda hard roof, under dash pocket, rear bumper and the Super ATV Flip up windshield.
Long light bar for hood or top of roof? Curved or straight (does it really matter?)?
I saw some post about the branches ripping off roof mounted light bar and I understand that; however, it seems the light from top would be ideal? - How durable are these lights (will they hold up to brush and small branches that grow over trails?)
Rear lights - Should I go with. a small light bar near middle bumper or two lights from each side of rear roof?
Tom
Your current list is a good start. I would recommend pod lights. Easy to install and maintain and could be used to create a 360 degree output of light if installed around the ROPS. Bars put out alot of light and can sometimes be annoying for those riding around you. There are many options for lights. Anything name brand is good and most can be installed using bar clamps from Amazon. The Hondasxs store has some good light options. Amazon pods with good reviews can make awesome budget setups. If money ain't a worry then name brand would be the recommended way to go.

C

Clew In

Oct 9, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4

3. 1000-5
Your current list is a good start. I would recommend pod lights. Easy to install and maintain and could be used to create a 360 degree output of light if installed around the ROPS. Bars put out alot of light and can sometimes be annoying for those riding around you. There are many options for lights. Anything name brand is good and most can be installed using bar clamps from Amazon. The Hondasxs store has some good light options. Amazon pods with good reviews can make awesome budget setups. If money ain't a worry then name brand would be the recommended way to go.
What is the maintenance for these bars? When they go out do you just replace the bar lights as needed or are there bulbs inside you replace?
Thanks
Tom

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tom
Dont over think it lol. The machine is a money pit and a corse of trial and errors. What works for some wont work for you and the like. Alot of it depends on the riding you do.
Id never mount a light bar on the roof. A, too much vibration there, and B, easier to rip the thing off. C, if you ever roll…bye bye bar!!lol.
mine is curved and on the lower cage (ROPS) aka bottom of the windshield. Very sturdy there no issues with vision either. As for pods insted? I did that rout before But the advancement in the brightness was not there then. Pods are a great option for a light bar. But again, its your preference, you just have to try and see what works for you. Check out my build and youll see the two different options and rear pods and mounts

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I view maintenance as how often and easily will it get smacked. Smacking it can cause it to come out of alignment or worse, crack it.

There are no replacement bulbs in pods or bars. If they go out then it's a complete assembly replacement.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your just getting started. The money pit gets deeper. Light bars are pretty tough that’s why they are so popular in the off road world. Not indestructible but tough. Light bars are usually replaced not repaired. Try a small one on the front bumper to start with. Mount your windshield before you try to mount a light above or below it.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's not one right answer and some lights are purely for style, not function. There are spotlights and floodlights and mix and match.
You should consider what and how much you want to light up and what may hit the lights. I, like others here, have suffered the sunburn from too many lights coming at you. You can easily overkill lights - if you are not going to go straightline in the dark at 60, why do you need to daylight the horizon 300 yards away?
For plowing (not your problem in Georgia) and to keep my lights up from behind the blade, I used round floodlights up by the mirrors. This keeps them well protected from the Pinyon Junipers that overgrow many of the Utah trails - the ones that can rip off your roof - and lights up enough for my night rides and plowing. Also, the LED highbeams on my machine work well to spotlight out farther.
Best.
Front Turn signal

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some pics for example. I'd start with dual battery setup first with a good size terminal block. Makes wiring easier. But I went with a curved light bar on the front from amazon on PBR mounts, rear backup lights from the club store, and right and left side lights from amazon. The lights themselves arent that expensive compared to everything else!!

5Z 3TSo6TZa9V5tGHwS3uQ Df4RXkD3S2SVo6unc8zyxQ  GVhOFvoQP6FbRZDk0mSDg Ow1j7MtZRpmIuWX ymE5yw QTZPiE6PQFiHUeJke77Yeg

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Tom
I mounted a 36” led light on my roof and it works great . Don’t have any major issues with branches , just have to watch

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tom
Have you seen how the installed headlamps light up things? I have been satisfied with status quo.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
no replacement bulbs in pods or

Your just getting started. The money pit gets deeper.
Ain't that the truth. *Almost* bad as owning a (bigger) boat (Break Out Another Thousand). Did that for ~17 years.

I've literally only owned my P1K5 for 18 calendar days and I have already spent $5,118.18 in accessories and farkles ... and I'm not quite done yet.

That's an average of $284.34 per day thus far ... o_O

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 12" FLOOD pattern Light bar mounted on the front bumper. I know, this looks small, but it does a perfect job of filling in the dark spot left directly in front by the stock headlights. I went with a smaller bar for a few reasons. First, Much less power consumption, it only draws about 1 1/2 amps. Second smaller and easier to mount in a more protected location. Third, does not restrict airflow through the grill. I also used a smaller version of this bar mounted under the back edge of the roof and pointing downward as a backup light. This is hooked to the reverse warning circuit, so it only works when the vehicle is in reverse gear. Mine is a 2016 1000-5 D, so the LED Headlights are pretty bright by themselves.

LED Light Bar

Last edited:
D

Docwilles

Sep 30, 2020
McGill Nevada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hav the 12 inch light bar on the front bumper also, it does a great job there and is out of the way. The over grown trails here in Nevada would damage light bars on the roof quickly. I have the small plug n play back up bar on the back, I think it’s 6 inches and from the Honda SxS store. I like that a lot.

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Attachments

• Jbad9ur28dcYyncVu68Gj3tQpwLI41OFSUeB_2JtgFIpX92IB.mp4
    374.5 KB
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
oh yeah @Acmech1 gotta have the rock lights!! kids love them
I was hunting through the pole barn for something and I found a set of rock lights that I bought for my Grizzly 700 EPS that I never installed. They will end up on the P1K5. :cool:

A

Acmech1

Oct 10, 2020
El Reno, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
L

larochelbirt

Jun 17, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tom
I got these, they are great .Auxbeam 5 Inch LED Pod Lights with Wiring Harness Kit, 110W 11000LM Offroad Driving Light Bar IP68 Waterproof Off Road Spot Lights for Truck ATV UTV S https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09578MBZ4/?tag=sxsweb24-20 And not all mounts are the same i got these super strong. MNJ MOTOR Off-Road Light Bar Mounts Mounting Bracket Clamp Kits, Aluminium Bar Tube Clamp Fits on 1.25"/1" Bull Bars Roof Racks Roll Cage Holder Compatible with ATV UTV Truck, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQFG3ML/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ain't that the truth. *Almost* bad as owning a (bigger) boat (Break Out Another Thousand). Did that for ~17 years.

I've literally only owned my P1K5 for 18 calendar days and I have already spent $5,118.18 in accessories and farkles ... and I'm not quite done yet.

That's an average of $284.34 per day thus far ... o_O
🤫 If you did it right those numbers all disappear while you stare at your pioneer. I promise.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!