P1000 Pioneer 1000 Back-up alarm review

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another (minor) attempt to help out some folks.

I installed the official Honda Pioneer back-up alarm on my 1000 today.

Not a bad job, just a nuisance. Remove the seat. Remove the lower side trim, left and right. Remove the air cleaner cover. Remove the engine cover/mud guard. That's a total of, I don't know, 20-30 or so screws, bolts and those lovely plastic trim clips. (A $7.00 trim clip removal tool from your local auto supply will be your best friend for this job.)

Then the bracket mounts right to a pre-drilled frame hole, the alarm slips onto that in a supplied waterproof sleeve, then remove the dummy plug from the 2 pin connector that's already wired into the harness (at least it was on my 2016), plug it in, and you're set. Except for replacing all the plastic. And the push pins and screws and bolts.

Total time: Took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. I'm guessing the Honda flat rate is probably 45 minutes. Like most jobs, the second time around would go a lot quicker. Works fine - makes the noise when you shift into reverse. Plenty loud and irritating. Should be enough to wake up Ol' Blue and get him out of the way.

Pricey (IMHO), but aren't most name brand accessories? And not a reason in the world this requires two part numbers, one for the alarm, the other for the install kit. It should just come as a kit. (And the official Honda site will tell you you also need a third part, a supplemental harness. You don't if you just want to install the alarm, at least on a 2016.) If you've got a little more than an hour to spare, it's not a bad job, just a bit tedious. Good job for a rainy Saturday morning. Once again - c'mon Honda. There has to be a better way. Why do so many installs require half dismantling the bodywork?

Last edited:
Reactions: screaminfast

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!