P1000 Pioneer 1000 regret

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, right now it’s a regret. I recently purchased a brand new Pioneer 1000-3 to use around the farm and to use ice fishing. I put about 8 miles on it since I purchased it about a month ago. I used it two days ago to plow snow for the first time, it went ok. Yesterday I was going to take it out ice fishing and it wouldn’t turn over. About 1 degree Fahrenheit outside. Call the dealer and talk to the service guy who says that the Honda’s are low compression motors and have a hard time starting in ten degrees or colder because of this. Suggested I run Heet in the gas ( I already put sea foam in) and only use 87 with ethanol gas because of lower detonation. I did and still wouldn’t start. He then says take off air filter (freaking pain in 0 degree weather) and give it some starting fluid. It started and I ran it around for two hours. Plugged the battery tender in over night and went to start it this morning to go ice fishing and freaking nothing. Just cranks and cranks but won’t start. 15 grand sitting out there and won’t start. Calling for 10 inches of snow tomorrow. Please, any advice. Service guy says he gets a lot of these calls (fuel line freeze) on the Honda’s, hardly any on the Ranger.

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, right now it’s a regret. I recently purchased a brand new Pioneer 1000-3 to use around the farm and to use ice fishing. I put about 8 miles on it since I purchased it about a month ago. I used it two days ago to plow snow for the first time, it went ok. Yesterday I was going to take it out ice fishing and it wouldn’t turn over. About 1 degree Fahrenheit outside. Call the dealer and talk to the service guy who says that the Honda’s are low compression motors and have a hard time starting in ten degrees or colder because of this. Suggested I run Heet in the gas ( I already put sea foam in) and only use 87 with ethanol gas because of lower detonation. I did and still wouldn’t start. He then says take off air filter (freaking pain in 0 degree weather) and give it some starting fluid. It started and I ran it around for two hours. Plugged the battery tender in over night and went to start it this morning to go ice fishing and freaking nothing. Just cranks and cranks but won’t start. 15 grand sitting out there and won’t start. Calling for 10 inches of snow tomorrow. Please, any advice. Service guy says he gets a lot of these calls (fuel line freeze) on the Honda’s, hardly any on the Ranger.
There’s people all over the northern tier who aren’t having that problem. That few of miles seems unlikely that there’s water in the gas. Best get it back to the dealer so they can look it over IMO.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the reply. Any advice for today, something I am missing? 10 inches of snow on the way and dealer is two hours away and closed today. I can take the fricking air filter off again, give it starting fluid just to plow tonight and then do the same tomorrow and then bring it in. Looking for something easier for short term.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There have been several issues this year with this. Sorry. I dont know the cause.

But, you provided some helpful info.

Did you do anything else except spray starter fluid into the throttle bodies thay could have effected it starting.

If no, this tells me it's something in the throttle body thats the problem.

If it was a relay, CDI, or coil this should not have helped.

Now, I'm wondering if you warm up the throttle body like with a blow dryer or something will it start?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good questions. I only sprayed starter fluid one time at the service guys advice. I am contemplating do it again now, but it’s minus 6 out and honestly, taking that air filter cover off is a joke. Plastic rivets, clips and hard to reach Allen screws are no fun. I tried a heat gun in it for two hours yesterday while I was out chasing down long t handle Allen wrenches to take filter cover off and it did nothing.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks for the reply. Any advice for today, something I am missing? 10 inches of snow on the way and dealer is two hours away and closed today. I can take the fricking air filter off again, give it starting fluid just to plow tonight and then do the same tomorrow and then bring it in. Looking for something easier for short term.

Here is an idea to try, get yourself a tarp of some sort, put it over the Pioneer 1000 and then put 100W light bulb under the unit near the engine overnight. Obviously avoid putting it in a place where it would cause harm, but somewhere which heat can be generated and then filter upwards....

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Good questions. I only sprayed starter fluid one time at the service guys advice. I am contemplating do it again now, but it’s minus 6 out and honestly, taking that air filter cover off is a joke. Plastic rivets, clips and hard to reach Allen screws are no fun. I tried a heat gun in it for two hours yesterday while I was out chasing down long t handle Allen wrenches to take filter cover off and it did nothing.

Thanks.
I have no experience with temps below 20f but I hate seeing all these issues. Love to known what holding them up. Especially the guy who left his out in the woods for days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where in Wisconsin are you?

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for replies, I need help. I am currently running a heat gun near the throttle body again. About an hour ago, I took off air breather kit in hood and sprayed in there....nothing. I think it’s too far? I’m outside of Sturgeon Bay

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for replies, I need help. I am currently running a heat gun near the throttle body again. About an hour ago, I took off air breather kit in hood and sprayed in there....nothing. I think it’s too far? I’m outside of Sturgeon Bay
Cycle the key 3 or 4 times before trying turning it over

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So can you guys verify what the service guy told me about hardcold starting because of lower compression motor. Are there guys running these pioneers in ten below and having zero problems?

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Plumber 32, that is my starting method. Cycle it two times and then start. Other service guy said that fowls the plug. Too much gas, not enough spark. Idk

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So can you guys verify what the service guy told me about hardcold starting because of lower compression motor. Are there guys running these pioneers in ten below and having zero problems?
I do. It can be cold blooded for sure. I have a Yamaha wolverine too. That sits in an enclosed trailer on a battery tender. And It took 11 tries last night to get it to fire.

Reactions: Farmer and sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plumber 32, that is my starting method. Cycle it two times and then start. Other service guy said that fowls the plug. Too much gas, not enough spark. Idk
Come to think about it. My neighbor has a honda 1000 and last winter he had the same problem. Turns out his battery was no good. Honda warrantied it. But took a week. I'd go spend the money on the best battery you can get.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, just tying to figure out if this is unique to my machine or like the dealer said, it’s very common on the Honda’s.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I don’t know. Could it be the battery even if it seems like it’s got enough juice to turn it over many times?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I don’t know. Could it be the battery even if it seems like it’s got enough juice to turn it over many times?
Yeah it could be. These things are very sensitive to voltage. Id hate to see you drop $200 on a battery and not be it though. You could get it tested to be sure.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just tried giving it a better shot of fluid in the air intake in hood and it coughed and ran for five seconds and died again. Can’t be good to keep spraying that in there
Gotta be fuel related then. Can you hear the pump kick on?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!