Pioneer-4 on dusty roads

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Posting this topic as it is an issue for the rear seating of the 4P. I now have over 100 miles on mine and spent quite a bit of time on dry dusty roads this weekend. I have the full length hard roof and like it a lot. Not sure if the roof has any impact on dust but I will definitely be addressing this issue. A small amount of dust gets circulated from the rear tires and gets in the rear seating area. I think the solution to this problem will be adding the fabric rear panel and I plan to order mine tomorrow.

As far as dust getting in the front there is Zero. The footwell in the front is nearly one piece and there is no dust that gets in. The doors do a great job as well with keeping dust out.

Reactions: AndrewsSeed
S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
And just for clarity.. the dust is circulated from over the tailgate and none noticeable from beneath. If you ever rode on as a passenger on an atv down a dusty road it's the same thing happening. I expected this would be a concern before buying it but I think they addressed it with the fabric rear panel. I'll let everyone know when I get it.. may even make my own for a quick test.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So. Are you saying it is more then you expected? Or is it about the same as on a atv?
I expect some dust as this will be hard to stop without a full cab.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
No, not really more than expected its about the same as an atv.. but i'm not fond of hosing and wiping down the rear seating every time i take a rear passenger for a ride. I want my passengers to remain comfy and clean. I'm just suggesting that it will be worth adding a rear panel or some other mod to reduce the dust.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Added the fabric rear panel and gave the pioneer a good washing last night to test the dust protection today. After riding an hour on the dusty roads I am very pleased. The rear panel eliminated dust in the rear seat area as far Is I can tell so far. It rolls up in a minute when you need the dump bed and it looks sharp. Definitely recommend this accessory for taking passengers off road in dry conditions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,861
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 2,236
F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Am I correct that you do not have a windshield? That might make a big diff on how the dust is blown about.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I agree and that's one reason I don't yet have a windshield.

M

Mandride

Sep 17, 2013
I will order mine now, I have the two piece Windshield but haven't tried on dust roads yet. I would suggest the two piece and leave the bottom section open to help with the airflow.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Let me know how that works out please

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
That looks sharp swamper. I am looking to get a full hard coat windshield, a bimini (sp?) 4p top and the same rear panel. I ride on many dusty roads and 4 months of snow. It should help with keeping the cold breeze out of the front and rear seats. Thanks for the pics so I can get an idea of what mine will look like

advertisement
F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Mandride said:
I will order mine now, I have the two piece Windshield but haven't tried on dust roads yet. I would suggest the two piece and leave the bottom section open to help with the airflow.

I'm going with the glass windshield. Too much cold weather here in MN.....and I intend to get a heater and a wiper too. If I see a need.....I may swap out for a 1/2 windshield in summer - or remove the glass altogether (?).....but I don't forsee a problem with air flow.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Red4Life - I had planned to get the soft top but it wasn't available yet so I got the hard roof and I'm glad I did. The hard roof provides a ton more coverage in the front and acts as a good sun visor. And it also works a lot better on trails as it slides better across low hanging branches and trees which could damage the soft top. Just something to consider. But I like the look of the soft top. I think the Bimini is just a cheaper version of the soft top.

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
I don't have a windshield yet and I get virtually no dust. I have ordered a 1/2 windscreen, I have found that they work great for deflecting the air over your head without causing dust to swirl up from the back. I only put the 1/2 hard top on my Pioneer, that may also change the aerodynamics.

R

rofday

Sep 19, 2013
i changed my exhaust pipe to blow straight out instead of pointing towards ground stirs up less dust on trails.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
rofday - Be careful... I think the exhaust is turned down to avoid melting the tailgate when you use the dump bed. May want to check and see how hot it gets.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Swamper......have you got a pic of how that rear pannel stows away. Roll up and tie at the top?? I think I need to add one of those. TKX

RacerX400600

RacerX400600

Jun 22, 2013
rofday said:
i changed my exhaust pipe to blow straight out instead of pointing towards ground stirs up less dust on trails.

Be careful that the exhaust gasses aren't recirculating into the cab. It might make you sick :oops:

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Not the best pic but this is the best I could do in the garage tonight. It wraps around the top roll bar with a full length zipper. It appears to be great quality with a tag that says "Made in the USA" !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 943
S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Oh, and when rolled up it is held by the two straps shown that have snap buttons with the male buttons being in the correct place on the upper window. Unsnap the bottom corner straps and unhook the bungees on the tail gate.. roll it up and snap it in place. 2 min max.

R

rofday

Sep 19, 2013
no worries guys open cab plenty ventilation; with the bed & tailgate down 3 in. clearance to pipe, i dont use the dump bed except to wash it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!