Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here is a photo un-boxing of the A-Arm Guards for the Honda Pioneer.
[album]538[/album][album]542[/album][album]549[/album][album]548[/album]

More Photo's Here - A-Arm Guard Photo Gallery

My basic findings before install leave me less then impressed...
As directions were NOT included I post them here.
Directions for install:
(front - 1, 2)
(rear - 1, 2)

Front guards:
Though the guards offer additional protection from below they do not provide much more protection from the sides. In this picture HERE you can see that the only side guard is for the inner joint. The outer joint is left with the factory plastic protection. From the rear the plates do not provide any additional protection.

Rear guards:
The rear offer a bit more protection then the front and are worth in in my book.

If you want to powder-coat them... Now is the time. The rough surface of the guards will allow a great stick for the powder-coat that should last for years. However, once a better aftermarket guard is made for the front I will be replacing them.

I will post install pictures once my Pioneer arrives.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Heres a few pictures from the install.
Fairly simple to do.
I decided to start all the bolts but 2. With them being loose there was enough room to slide them on.
I was using a hand ratchet but it was starting to be a pain so I changed to a air powered ratchet. Ended up breaking one of the bolts.
So be careful, they are fairly soft. Hand tight is enough as are locking nuts.
[album]581[/album][album]582[/album][album]584[/album][album]585[/album][album]588[/album][album]586[/album][album]590[/album][album]591[/album]

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i just installed these on my green 2 seat pioneer and your right no directions but not that hard to install. once you get them on you will see that they do not cover the cv boots its more like the bottom of the swing arm. for 300 dollars you would think they would cover more our mabey they were made like this so you have to take it back to the shop to get a cv boot replaced. i am waiting for oxlite or some other aftermarket cv boot covers to come out and replace these from honda . so ir your not in a hurry save your 300 dollars and get some that will cover the cv boots. i have oxlite cv boot guards on my honda rubicon and they cover both cv boots and swing arm PS. we love the pioneer!

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I also have the A-Arm guards. Despite the fact that they don't completely cover and protect the CV boots, I suppose that it's better than nothing.
As Hondasxs had suggested, I'm going to get mine powder coated before installing them. I'd think that the bright aluminum among all the black components wouldn't look right.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Installed mine today. Yes, no instructions but it is obvious how they should be installed. I don't find the look bad at all and am well satisfied with the fit and protection. Agree it doesn't offer full coverage of the boot but I'm satisfied it will be fine for my use.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
They look better in black.
still not a fan of the front guards.

Attachments

• IMG_1328 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_1328 (Copy).JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 2,542
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Picked up my A-Arm Guards from the powder coating company the other day. Finish came out good. Have to say that the guards uncoated had a rough textured surface that would have undoubtably held some dirt and mud and made it harder to clean. The company actually sanded down the surface some before coating them.

Image1 3

Image 5

Installing them went fine. Want to point out a difference that I notice from the start. The instructions that we download are incorrect in describing the difference between the rear guards. The instruction describe the rears being of two different sizes and also they have only two large holes instead of the three that are actually there. Also, as per the instructions, make sure that the slots are facing aft. Don't ask me how I realized this.....lol!

My biggest grip with this kit is the hard ware. I try my very best to follow advice and instructions to the letter, and these instructions call for the hardware to be torqued to 7 ft. pds. Well, I found the hard way that at 7.5 ft. pds. , the cheap azz bolts will shear off. Not impressed with Honda's hardware selection.
I ended up securing the hardware the good ole German fashion way.....Gootentight. Shouldn't have any worries also for the fact that the nuts provided have inner metal locks similar to nylon lock nuts we see often. I may still replace the rear bolts due to the fact that under pressure, the guards still move a little bit. Some good stainless hardware would be a better solution!
Image4 2

Image8 2

Image3 3

Image2 3

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
very nice BigRiver. I love the black. Thank you for sharing.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
My 2 cents. The honda ones are more of a arm skid plate and the ebay ones are full protection.
I have the ebay ones but modified the monts on the rear. I dought the rears would have stayed on. The inside mount was a weak aluminum flat bar that is made to clamp the gard in place. I made clamps like honda uses.
I think if your thying to keep the a arms from getting dented and scratched the honda ones. If you are looking to keep brush out than the abay ones are probably the ones you want.
If I was not so cheep I would have bought the hond then again I have never had to replace a cv boot.
He ebay ones look a lot cooler and the price is almost half.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
I went with Honda guards too. I painted satin black and am satisfied with the fit for my style of riding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,517
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,512
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought the Honda a-guards when I got my pioneer because the Honda guards were the only ones you could get at the time. for 300 dollars they do not offer much coverage. so I just bought a full set of a-arm guards from Universal Parts Inc. for 149 dollars and I used the mounting hardware form the Honda a-arm guards and they worked great with a lot more coverage for half the price.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!