Pioneer aux. power system. Will it handle...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So the Pioneer has a class leading alternator on board. How do you think it will handle a full light set up, radio, and gps? I read a upgraded battery is a good idea as users have done to the Big Red. I'm sure the Pioneer will benefit from this upgrade as well.

what do you think?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Don't really know what size battery is actually going to be in the Pioneer. Only extra's will be a winch[only used if needed] and a cab heater.I'am sure it will be enough,depending on the battery that comes installed.

N

nutmeg

Jun 15, 2013
I'm sure it will handle it. I read somewhere how powerful the alt. was but I cant find it. I'll hunt it up.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I ordered a winch & installation kit from my dealer. she ordered them but said I also need to get the voltmeter switch plate fuse block kit. I asked if I can install it without this kit. she called Honda and they said. no that they recommend it for any accessorys. I had her order it. before the preorder deadline. I figure I might put on some extra lights in the future and I wll need the switches. just another way for Honda to price their machine so low they make you buy everything extra.

T

TrailTamer

May 10, 2013
I have found out what kind of battery and generator the Pioneer has.
Battery: USA YTX14-BS 12v-12 Ah (10HR), Canada GYZ16H 12v-16 Ah (10HR)
Generator: 0.45 kW/5,000 rpm

Another important fact. The main fuse is a 40 amp so you cant pull more then that total.

atvsnowman

atvsnowman

Mar 28, 2013
Battery size is not a concern for those with lots of attacments... as they will more then likley be replacing that battery with a full size battery. With this new LED craze you really should not put that much drain on a battery. Adding a radio is not really a major drain either unless you are a 15/45'er... meaning ride for 15, beer break for 45.... lol...

I think it will be Ok with the gen.

C

cannon

Jul 31, 2013
I had a ATV and the battery went dead when I would leave the lights on for only 15 mins. I sure hope this has improved.

N

Nhsteve

Sep 8, 2013
The generator puts out 450 watts maximum while the engine or generator is turning 5000 rpm.

Think of that as four 100 watt light bulbs.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
There's no replacing this battery for a larger one. It sits in a small cubby hole under the passenger side of the bench seat.
I'll take a pic later...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
BigRiver. We are talking about relocating it somewhere. Like in the extra space under front fenders. There is a pic in the gallery of the current location and the extra space.

Just a idea.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I addressed this in another thread.

pioneer-accessories-and-modifications-f48/auxiliary-battery-location-t306.html

I was thinking about adding an additional battery as some people have done on their BigReds. The main difference is that on the BigRed, the battery is under the hood, as I understand. Our problem is that our battery is under the passenger side of the bench seat, offering no additional room for a second battery, much less a larger one.

Image2 1

Image1 1

Image3 1

BTW, no offense taken...but it's BigRiver, or Riv to my friends.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got it.. BigRiver. I think it was my auto correct. I saved it this time.
Thanks for the pics.
I dont really know if i will look into relocating mine unless i start to have power problems.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Ya know, if the stock battery handles the power load adequately, like my Rubicon does, I may fabricate a storage locker of sorts in that space under the hood.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
BigRiver said:
Ya know, if the stock battery handles the power load adequately, like my Rubicon does, I may fabricate a storage locker of sorts in that space under the hood.
Make them up and i'll buy one from you.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Something simple such as 2 flying U brackets if you can imagine, then find a small hard plastic tool box to bolt onto the brackets.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
BigRiver said:
Make them up and i'll buy one from you.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, already started making a template out of foamcore....there is also the option of under the driver seat against the outside of the plastic...hard to get to and you would need to plate the heck out of the battery to protect it though.

Attachments

• red-yellow.png
    red-yellow.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 401

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!