Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. So several of you have made it to or past the first service line. I would like to know how you handled it.

Did you
- take to to the dealer to get done.
If dealer, what all did they do and how much did it cost?
Or
-do it your self
What all did you do?
How long did it take you?
Did you adjust the valves? How was that?
Did you do any extra then what the owners manual said to do?

Any pointers to help other owners with the process?
Thanks.

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Dealer told me around 300 bucks. As a mechanic I was going to do it myself anyway. It cost about 33 bucks. I changed oil and filter, checked valves (1 was off a hair but not enough to change untill I hear it rattle) I checked all my fluids, brakes, tire pressure and just visually inspected every thing underneath while I had it on the lift. Took maybe 2 hrs total.

Reactions: ontime
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks.
The valves is what I am scared of... I've done them on my trx300 but not on the Rincon.
I'm sure it's the same concept.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting ready to do my first service, and in the manual it calls for jacking it up to change the oil. I've looked under the machine at the skid that has to come off, but is there any reason that it needs to be lifted to service??

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Skid plate does not have to come off. There is a plastic service door for the drain plug and a hoke cut out for the filter to drain although filter service is easiest done from top passenger side under seat near battery. Lift isn't needed I just have one so is easier

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
No problem brando! It is nice lol I'm the equipment and tool manager for my father in laws construction company so I have a lift there and live about 100 ft from it! Comes in handy. Also, when you guys service yourselfs, the aluminum washer between the spring and oil filter will stick to the old filter. Don't forget to grab it and reuse or the spring could push thru the oil filter when it gets hot thus letting the oil filter float so to speak which wouldn't make it filter all oil. Just fyi.

I thought this was neat. This is my original oil filter after the initial service. I was at 115 miles and 20 hrs. Notice all the metal shavings. Shows the importance of that first service being on time. I wouldn't want my new engine running with that in very long.
[album]665[/album]

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Doing my first service this weekend. I cant believe how many shavings are in that filter. im going to tear mine apart to see if it is similar

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Yeah they are on the outside of filter. Just down in the cracks. It is normal. I maintain a fleet of about 40 vehicles amd I hacksaw open all oil filters on new trucks at their initial service and they are way worse. Of course they are much larger engines. But ppl think 'new' and think it shouldn't need anything for a while but break in service, be that of a truck or atv or lawnmower, is, in my opinion, the most important.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
This is the first new vehicle I have owned and now see why the break in service is so important. I have 90 miles on her. I haven't been the most cautious as far as putting around slowly. Avg speed on roads prob 33 mph and I've cruised through 30 miles of trails with 4 people. I would define my first 90 miles as regular riding..at times hard on throttle and at times easy on throttle. I also got mud caked in the radiator and I realized this when the temp light went on. I quickly sprayed it out and cooled it off. Would this be considered an acceptable break in or did I take it too hard too fast?

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Nah. You should be fine. They are ran a good bit from factory before they are put in and they know we aren't going to baby them around for 100 miles. That's another reason they want it serviced that early. You are fine.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the pic of the filter and info, Chester. Much appreciated.

Jerry3

Jerry3

Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2013
Arkville, NY
So, I called my dealer to schedule my first service, as I have 98 miles on it, but only 13 hours, and they told me dont bring it in until 20 hours. They said the hours is the important part... What is everyones thoughts on this?

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's right about where mine was at 13 hrs, I was at 109 miles in 13 hrs. I would service it. After all, it is what is stated in the manual, 100 miles or 20 hrs, whichever comes first.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's your Pioneer. You tell them when YOU want to do it. Not the other way around.
I always base mine off the miles. As leaving the key on will add false hours.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finished mine at 107miles/23.3hrs took all of 90mins to do EVERYTHING Honda has listed to do. Except adjust the idle speed which it didn't need but I checked anyway.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the first oil change at camp this past weekend.
All went well.

You need a #10, #12, and #17 socket.

The drain and filter change was easy to do. But the refill took way too long in that little fill pipe.

I had metal shavings in the filter too.

I will be checking the valves and a few extra things like diff fluid change when I get time.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
The tech at my dealership told me they don't really recommend service at 20 hours, as basically, its not quite enough time for things to settle in. He said they would wait for 30-40 hours. Not sure when I'll do mine. If its $300 for the dealer to do it, I'll def be doing it myself.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!