Pioneer Storage: DIY??

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good morning guys. Just purchased a 2018 Pioneer 700-4. I plan on using the 4 seat option quite often which greatly cuts down on places to put the gear that 4 hunters will have. Therefore, I'm looking for the best options and rigs that ya'll have found or come up with for racks. The hood racks are obviously the most expensive. Have ya'll come up with any workarounds for this? I've also heard of people getting regular automotive roof racks and somehow adapting them to the roof of the pioneer. How about the bed extensions? Are there any cheaper options there? That seemed quite high as well. I'm just trying my best not to spend close to $1000 strictly on storage. Post some pics of what ya'll have done and found has worked. Thanks!

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I don't know about your hunting grounds but I do know that a roof rack would be torn up where I hunt and have hunted in the past. The 700's are too tall as it is. I wouldn't mind having a bed extender but don't want to pay the price for a metal pre fabbed bolt on. Quiet a few people use the hitch style cargo carriers. That would be the cheapest route to take like $60 at harbor freight with coupons. A hood rack would be good too but you would either make one or purchase a fabbed one. Some guys make bed extenders out of plastic pipe from lowes/home depot and they look good in pictures.

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm mostly duck hunting in fields and such, so overhead trees really aren't an issue. I really like the hood racks but man are they high priced.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good morning guys. Just purchased a 2018 Pioneer 700-4. I plan on using the 4 seat option quite often which greatly cuts down on places to put the gear that 4 hunters will have. Therefore, I'm looking for the best options and rigs that ya'll have found or come up with for racks. The hood racks are obviously the most expensive. Have ya'll come up with any workarounds for this? I've also heard of people getting regular automotive roof racks and somehow adapting them to the roof of the pioneer. How about the bed extensions? Are there any cheaper options there? That seemed quite high as well. I'm just trying my best not to spend close to $1000 strictly on storage. Post some pics of what ya'll have done and found has worked. Thanks!
Seems that it would be difficult to house all the gear for four hunters in any fashion on the Pioneer. Many people have very small trailers to pull behind for that.

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been looking at the homemade bed extenders. That's definitely a done deal. Now I'm looking for some tips and tricks for the front and or top. There's definitely a lot of options in the auto roof rack world. I'd just like to see some pictures of how you guys have applied them. They seem to be long and narrower rather than shorter and wide as to go across the bike. That front rack by strongmade sure is nice, but I'm not prepared just yet to drop $381 on a rack.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Pa
You get the front rack,it holds 100 lbs.
And a roof rack that you can detach easily.
And you get a bed extension,you will have lots of room.Bed extensions are easy to make yourself.
I haven't seen the roof done yet.most of us guys would smash that off.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm intrigued about the idea of making a front rack. Front baskets are a dime a dozen and can be gotten anywhere. If all it takes is to fab a couple brackets... that'd be no problem. I have a friend that has one I'm going to inspect today to see exactly how it attaches.

Reactions: Koda
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm intrigued about the idea of making a front rack. Front baskets are a dime a dozen and can be gotten anywhere. If all it takes is to fab a couple brackets... that'd be no problem. I have a friend that has one I'm going to inspect today to see exactly how it attaches.
It would really be cool if you could fab it with quick release pins so you could get under the hood.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I started on the rear basket extension. I had to order some weird 90 degree 4 ways off Amazon that won't be here until tomorrow. Ill be sure to post some pics when it's finished.

Reactions: Montecresto
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well that’s done! Pretty easy and highly recommend it. Still brainstorming on how to anchor it down but there’s plenty of bolts around the bed/tailgate area I can tap into.

I’m going to go ahead and buy the strong made front rack. It’s a ton of storage, isn’t way up on the roof, and I can see it.

Lastly, I want to rig up some type of toolbox. Store some pliers, wrenches, small rope, maybe a small snatch block. I’ve seen several under hood storage DIYs but they seem to be on standard pioneers. It looks like my power steering might get in the way of the plastic tubs people are using. There’s a giant void under the drivers seat. Anybody ever messed with a dry box down there?

6BF31FB4 6AC1 4183 BB09 629829CFE89D

advertisement
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here's the newest addition. Roughly $5 at Walmart. Ziptied the rear handle to the bar above to keep it standing straight and ziptied the bottom to the square tubing. Works perfect.

12345 123456

Reactions: Azcardinal
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've ordered a front rack from Strong Made. Do any of you guys have pictures of cargo racks from vehicles that ya'll have retrofitted for the roofs? Or cheaper ATV roof racks? It looks like the auto version is a much cheaper option for a roof rack, I'm just having trouble finding one with the right dimensions.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
@LADucks I've were people use plastic trash cans underneath the seats of a 1ooo but not sure about the 700. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fit a small one under the seat. You would have to move the oil filler neck to the inside of the bar it is currently bolted too.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is a link to my poor man's storage:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!