P500 Pioneer vs ATV - regrets?

P

Papaw1971

Aug 3, 2017
Webbville, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum Paw. Congrats on the new machine and post us some pics.
I don't know which is more addictive, this place or the rig? Either way...BOTW! (Bust Out The Wallet) :D
GOT THE 1000-5 deluxe in camo and had em put winch, windshield, roof and A-arm guards on it. It's not my fault really. We will blame the wife, she told me I should get what I want!!!

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
GOT THE 1000-5 deluxe in camo and had em put winch, windshield, roof and A-arm guards on it. It's not my fault really. We will blame the wife, she told me I should get what I want!!!
Welcome from Central Arkansas.... I can tell you are one happy camper with your new machine... Have fun....This club is a great place for any questions, and advice you may or may not want...haha

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have both . A Rincon and a P1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sounds like you married well!!!!!!!

Reactions: Papaw1971
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Back in summer of 2014 I was riding my Honda Rancher 420 2wd across a clear cut on our deer lease. I was 75 miles from home, with no cell signal, I had 200 pounds of corn on the front rack, 200 pounds of fertilizer on the rear rack and 200 pounds of me in the middle. I dropped a wheel off in a stump hole and in an instant the rig was upside down on top of me. Only thing that kept it from being really bad was it was muddy. I was able to dig my way out and right the thing. After I finished filling the feeder and spreading the fertilizer I got to thinking that I was too old (59 at the time) to go out that way. On the way home I took the long way and went by a Honda dealer with the idea of buying a lot bigger and 4wd ATV, never thought about a UTV, mainly because the price and the size of the rigs. When I got to the dealer and told them what and why I wanted a new ride, they showed me the P500. They only had one and it had just come in that day. When I found out it was cheaper than a big ATV, I was sold. Best I can tell I bought the first one sold in Arkansas. I still have my old 420 Rancher and use it around the farm a little, but all my hunting and cruising is in the 500. I've had it to the Colorado mountains several times, in south Arkansas gumbo, hauled lots of feed, fertilizer, grandkids and dogs. Besides servicing it, I've not touched it, mechanically, a single time.

advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Back in summer of 2014 I was riding my Honda Rancher 420 2wd across a clear cut on our deer lease. I was 75 miles from home, with no cell signal, I had 200 pounds of corn on the front rack, 200 pounds of fertilizer on the rear rack and 200 pounds of me in the middle. I dropped a wheel off in a stump hole and in an instant the rig was upside down on top of me. Only thing that kept it from being really bad was it was muddy. I was able to dig my way out and right the thing. After I finished filling the feeder and spreading the fertilizer I got to thinking that I was too old (59 at the time) to go out that way. On the way home I took the long way and went by a Honda dealer with the idea of buying a lot bigger and 4wd ATV, never thought about a UTV, mainly because the price and the size of the rigs. When I got to the dealer and told them what and why I wanted a new ride, they showed me the P500. They only had one and it had just come in that day. When I found out it was cheaper than a big ATV, I was sold. Best I can tell I bought the first one sold in Arkansas. I still have my old 420 Rancher and use it around the farm a little, but all my hunting and cruising is in the 500. I've had it to the Colorado mountains several times, in south Arkansas gumbo, hauled lots of feed, fertilizer, grandkids and dogs. Besides servicing it, I've not touched it, mechanically, a single time.

Seem to regularly hear of riders being hurt on their quads. One guy at work lost almost a year of work after flipping. I'm also 59 and didn't even consider a quad. As someone noted here with age comes the cage :cool:

lwhite571

lwhite571

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2016
Central, IN
Ownership

1. 500
20150904 172915
This was my first ATV

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I havn't really rode our P5 yet, only had it a couple of weeks but I know it is the right move after oct 10 2015 when I got hit on my KQ 400 by a RZR flying down the trail, fractured ribs, bruises from left shoulder down to left foot but you should have seen my quad, it was a mess to the tune of $5200 in repairs, yes insurance rebuilt it DOH! looks great runs fine and I still use it around the property and plow with it but no more trail riding on it with me being in the over 50 club.
I may sell the quad and the wife's raptor and I'd guess we wont be needing our good ole mule 2510 much anymore now that we got the perfect for us, run around the property and get out on the trails for a bit of fun and scenery vehicle. Having a front/rear windshield and roof will be nice.

Reactions: elkguide
Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
1736A634 FC58 4C2B 88AD 002F9EEE4149
68964513 5D1D 4EC5 83BD 56AA6DEE5460
I just traded in my 2017 rancher 420 for the 18 P500. I don’t regret it one bit. Me and the wife ride together and it’s just easier. She likes to ride too but the steering on the rancher would hurt her wrist after a little while. She is loving the P500 and that was my biggest reason for buying it. Now if Honda will ever make a sxs with the power of a can am but the reliability of a Honda I will probably own 2 sxs. I honestly did not know about the P500 when I bought my rancher 420. My local dealer didn’t have one on the sales floor and only had the p1000 at the time and I just couldn’t spend the money at the time on it. Had I known about the P500 I would have bought it over my rancher. I did like the rancher and it was fun to ride but the p500 is way more comfortable when the wife is with me. My only problem with the P500 is I want to put all the goodies on it now and my wife and wallet keep telling me one step at a time..

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my p5 last year and was torn between it and a foreman rubicon. I sometimes wish I’d gone with the foreman but the p5 is definitely fun.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my p5 last year and was torn between it and a foreman rubicon. I sometimes wish I’d gone with the foreman but the p5 is definitely fun.
I still have the first Rubicon sold by a local dealership back in July of 2000. Just broke in at 13,000 miles. I only use the P5 any more, so will probably be selling my 2001 Rubicon.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just traded in my 2017 rancher 420 for the 18 P500. I don’t regret it one bit. Me and the wife ride together and it’s just easier. She likes to ride too but the steering on the rancher would hurt her wrist after a little while. She is loving the P500 and that was my biggest reason for buying it. Now if Honda will ever make a sxs with the power of a can am but the reliability of a Honda I will probably own 2 sxs
The big plus for me is the wife and dogs ridging together and if she doesn't like the trails or the way i'm driving, I just let her drive. Has added for fun to our out door adventures.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!