Pioneering among the remains of Pioneers.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Bradshaw mountains of central AZ range from Sonoran desert type terrain at the southern edges, to heavily wooded pine forests complete with turkey, squirrel, and deer. Not what the typical non-Arizonian would think of when they think of Arizona.
They are also riddled with old mines. Some known, some lost and waiting to be found by me. Occasionally, someone falls into a long-forgotten mine hidden under foot...and i am sure some of those peoples' fates have never been known.

One of the central roads of the Bradshaw's is Senator highway. Do not be fooled by this name...it is anything but a hwy, and is passable high-clearance vehicles only. It gets its name from the Senator mine, which has become an almost amusement park for amateur spelunkers in the summertime, despite the dangers involved. One web site, now-defunct, on amateur exploration claimed that the Senator had "miles" of tunnels.

I've ridden Senator many times...but there is so much to explore here...and today i wanted to try a new route on a road called Golden Eagle road ( again, named after a mine ). My favorite staging area is just a few miles north of the Senator mine...

After warming up and heading off, i soon passed the Senator...and like usual, there was a Ranger parked, no doubt exploring the handy-work of man in times past. After crossing the Hassayampa creek ( soon to be a river ) in chilly weather, i turned up Walker road and found, yet again, snow and mud. I want's sure it was even slick until i hit the brakes...but the Pioneer does that trick whenever there is slop involved.
I stopped to take a pic of Hassayampa lake; A man-made damming of the Hassayampa "river" of the same name to serve the mines.

Fenced off and posted: I am amused that what was once the site of such hard labor is now the playground for the ultra rich...
IMG 3084

The Hassayampa_River itself is quite interesting because it flows mostly underground, and nobody seems to know quite where it comes from. I'm told that some scientists have claimed that it may flow from as far away as Nevada, but i have seen no such claims elsewhere.

After snapping a pic of the lake and dodging RZR's and Rangers, i headed on up the hill and soon crested at the junction with Poland road, then began a decent until Golden Eagle road was encountered in a sharp turn. From here on, i was in virgin territory.

Climbing to the summit saw some side roads where i rolled through between plenty of fallen firewood and silent pine needles. These all proved to be short and dead ended, so back to GE road i went, and soon created the summit, and started down the west side of the mountain.

Once across, i was greeted by a blast of warmer air and spectacular views of the lower lands to the west.
IMG 3088

I was also greeted by a road that clearly was no longer meant for pedestrian car travel, with steep drop-offs on the lower side...
IMG 3087

The rock also began to take on the rusty hue that signifies mineral extraction, and soon i was confronted with a side road that lead back up the mountain, and proved to have several mines...
IMG 3089

..and remnants of mans' attempts at fortune...
IMG 3098

..and still more impressive views to the west...
IMG 3090

This road soon turned impressively steep and rocky, and crested at Mount Trittle, all of 7800 ft in elevation. The top of the world, with the peak very narrow...only enough for the trail...
IMG 3094

At this height, i had a hard time breathing when i took a stroll for photos. Just down from the summit was another trail that looks promising...but was impressively rough. I decided to leave this for a later date. After the ride, i would discover that this was the road i intended to take...but more in that in a minute.

Once back down the mountain and on what i thought was GE road, i quickly came upon a gate informing me that mining was still taking place here, and no one was allowed in. Bummer...and a quick end to what i thought was a long road, but looking at maps after the fact, i can see that the trail up to, and just down from the summit is actually GE road, and this is where i should have went. It was pretty gnarly, and i may save it until there is another vehicle for support in case something goes wrong.

Back up and across to Senator hwy again...scaring up what might have been a trophy buck, i took a few side trails that came to nothing, and then shot out Poland road, and after a few miles i realized that i had been on the backside before and just didn't know it.

This passes by Mt Union, with a lookout tower i have visited before on quad, but not this day. I made it to the gap below and hung out with some pretty nice cow pens...
IMG 3099

...until word came that my dogs had done their escape artist thing again, and i needed to head home to do some fence re-inforcing.

So it was that the ride was cut short. I headed back over Mt Union, over rock and through snow. Thumping along through the trees.
No doubt, the ghosts of those Pioneer's who worked this land in centuries past looked on from the shadows, wondering what this contraption was, and who piloted it.

This area is rich in history, and nearly every road-sign has a name with some sort of interesting story behind it. I've only scratched the surface here....but i will be back again.

Full album...
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/dg_rider/library/ATV/SxS ride 1-11-14?sort=3&page=1

Stuff on the area...
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/poland.html

http://bradshawmountainhikes.blogspot.com/2013/05/senator-highway-walker-road-loop.html

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Looks like it was a blast- with decent weather too! Thanks for sharing-

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
DG,
Very nice. You are blessed to be in a area that is so open to explore in your Pioneer.
I have always imagined what it would be like be able to go back in time and see this area being worked. I'm sure it would be nothing like we expect.
Would be even neater to take the Pioneer with you.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
DG,
Very nice. You are blessed to be in a area that is so open to explore in your Pioneer.
I have always imagined what it would be like be able to go back in time and see this area being worked. I'm sure it would be nothing like we expect.
Would be even neater to take the Pioneer with you.

It's speed limited to 45, we would need a lot of track to get it to 88 Marty.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
DG Rider,
Really cool adventure report and pictures! I wish I didn't have so much snow around here so I could use the Pioneer instead of my Sleds.

B

Biggs

Dec 6, 2013
Thanks for sharing this adventure. Finding a old mining area like this is pretty amazing, it's like setting the clock back 100 years.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Great story. I am very envious of the places you have access to. Is this public land? Around here in Pennsylvania, you can't ride on state land, or even dirt roads unless the townships allow it, which they don't in my area. .....but, we still do. We just keep our fingers crossed that we don't run into any forest rangers. We are fortunate in that our camp is located within 1/2 mile of a state atv trail. But it's only about 20 miles long. Even on that, there is a width limit of 58 inches. The pioneer at 63 inches barely fits through some areas. Again, we potentially could get busted for being on it. We try to keep our rides at night when hopefully the po po isn't watching.

With the snow, mountains, and forests, you totally screwed up my vision of Arizona being a hot flat desert.

Thanks for the pics.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Cool story looks like fun exploring .u do this trip on one tank of gas. I haven't drove minr enough to know how mileage will be seems like it labors hard.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Clarky said:
Great story. I am very envious of the places you have access to. Is this public land? Around here in Pennsylvania, you can't ride on state land, or even dirt roads unless the townships allow it, which they don't in my area. .....but, we still do. We just keep our fingers crossed that we don't run into any forest rangers. We are fortunate in that our camp is located within 1/2 mile of a state atv trail. But it's only about 20 miles long. Even on that, there is a width limit of 58 inches. The pioneer at 63 inches barely fits through some areas. Again, we potentially could get busted for being on it. We try to keep our rides at night when hopefully the po po isn't watching.

With the snow, mountains, and forests, you totally screwed up my vision of Arizona being a hot flat desert.

Thanks for the pics.
Yeah, AZ didn't fit my image when i got here either. This is known as state trust land. The majority of STL has forest service trails, and can be accessed with a $20 permit or sticker. This is the big difference between the west and back east where i grew up. Thousands and thousands of miles of trails. Quads and SxS's can be made street legal easily, and you can ride down main street. AZ is really hard to beat if you like to off-road.
Shane said:
Cool story looks like fun exploring .u do this trip on one tank of gas. I haven't drove minr enough to know how mileage will be seems like it labors hard.
This was only about 25-30 miles. Mine has been averaging about 25-35 miles per gauge bar. Seems like about 120 miles is the range on a tank.
Let it break in, it really picks up after that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I told you i'd be back again...

Today the Brother-in-law and i got back to this area in slightly warmer temps...yet several sections of Senator hwy were still sheets of ice.

Today was a good day, like nearly all on the trail. The Pioneer, for whatever reason, seemed to have its dander up and was running strong and smooth as we revisited Mt Trittle again...
IMG 3107

Heading back down, we stopped at the 1st mine shaft pic in the 1st post, only this time we looked in, and there are rails for a mine cart! Tempting to explore this one...we shall see!

Last time i was out here on a side road and met up with a hunter in a truck who advised me that a perspective trail i was looking at "just went out there and ended". He was right...it only went about 4 miles, skirting the top of the mountains with great views before it turned to single track...
IMG 3116

Great little trail i almost missed.

Anyway, gliding through the pines and back to Senator hwy, we headed south again. The plan was to make a loop on FS89/89A using Crooks Canyon rd to connect the 2, and do exploring of some side trails in the area that i have never ridden. Time caught up to us, and the side trails didn't get done, as you have to get back across Senator before it gets too late, lest you freeze your ass off.

On the way down, you pass historic Palace Station en-route to the FS89 split. At this point, you are in solid pine forest, and what looks like classic mining country. Looks aren't deceiving...as there are tons of abandoned mines in this area.
Then, after the 89 split, in only a few short miles, you go from pine forest, to classic mid/high-desert chaparral, warmer temps, and an band of oatmeal colored landscape that makes for interesting formations as you drop towards the community of Wagoner.
IMG 3119

It is surprising to find a creek in this terrain...
IMG 3118

We ate lunch at this tiny creek, while a group of SxS's and ATV's roared by...one of several groups we encountered today, and the most i have ever encountered while riding in this area.

Once at the bottom of 89A you are dumped onto Crooks canyon rd where you head west for a few miles to an unmarked trail that takes you back north, and eventually to 89. This lower trail is very interesting in that in first crosses relatively lush washes, then climbs a series of step switchbacks in that same band of oatmeal soil that is spread across this area....
IMG 3122
IMG 3123

Once you climb a bit, you leave the lower terrain and begin to hit the more familiar terrain of high-desert chaparral i live in, and eventually FS89.

Slowly the climb is made, gates are crossed, and you reach higher elevations. Winding your way across the mountains and deep canyons, complete with chilly shadows and thick underbrush. Cattle graze here, and i must wonder what else comes out of this remote area after dark...deep in the desert's hidden crevices. Only Pioneer tracks are left as testament to our trespasses this day.
And soon you reappear in the pines south of Palace station, as the sun is getting low, and the cold begins to nip at your fingers.

One more surprise is glimpsed out of the corner of my eyes heading back north. Despite having ridden through here many times, i spot a old road leading down to the creek, and decide to check it out. At the bottom are remains of one of the Pioneers of this land...
IMG 3128

It's too small for residence...so who knows why it was here. We only know that they liked Michelob...
And back on the trail north to the vehicle. Crossing creeks, eating dust, breathing cold mountain air. Another day's adventure done.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There might need to be a Western trip that I'd be up for , that is awesome DG!

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
ohanacreek said:

I was thinking the same thing. Long haul from Ohio hauling a trailer though. It's on my bucket list at the very least haha.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pipefighter577 said:
ohanacreek said:

I was thinking the same thing. Long haul from Ohio hauling a trailer though. It's on my bucket list at the very least haha.

Yeah prob 30+ hour drive for me, It was 27 straight with 3 people swapping out last time I made it. Still be a really cool experience.

Wonder what the overweight baggage fee for a P4 would be?

Reactions: bobbyhill
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about those POD things. You could pack it all up and have them deliver it.
Still. Im sure it will be cheaper to drive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!