Places to ride in tx close to houston?

jrplaza2008

jrplaza2008

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2014
Richmond, TX
Friends, Anyone know a nice place to ride close to Houston, Tx. Looking for a nice family weekend, trails , nature exploration. any suggestions?

R

rlthomas

Oct 6, 2013
There is mud creek in Jacksonville. Shiloh ridge in Alto. And a new park called river run I'm not sure where its at though. Mud creek has some good trails and kept up

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I suppose you've already checked out Sam Houston National Forest? We used to ride 2-wheelers up there. About 80 miles of trails...

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I've only walked trails in Brazos Bend so I'm not sure about 4-wheel-ers, UTVs, etc. It is, however a fun place to go if you like BIG (10'-13') gators. Just don't take your dog along; it well could be a one-way trip for him. And watch your step - the gators are NOT docile.

If you're down in the Freeport/Surfside/Lake Jackson area, there are places along the Freeport levy one could ride. Lots of swamps but few trees and trails. Again, watch for gators out there.

Then there's Bolivar Peninsula. The danger there are the babe's in bikinis or those getting their full body sun tans.

I do recall a seldom used motocross track out around Hitchcock. And there's Rio Bravo on the north side of town. Both of those are maintained tracks so to speak, and have some sort of entry fee. I haven't actually driven or rode on either of those though.

Sam Houston was always my favorite. There definitely are some wilderness areas in Sam Houston. There are a few marked trails maintained by the San Jacinto Riders, and many unmarked trails. Take a compass and spare fuel if you go there. Your IN the Big Thicket there. Son & I came very near running out of fuel (and totally lost) on dirt bikes in there. The Fun Meter will absolutely blow up in Sam Houston if you'll get away from the camp grounds.

P

pmpislander

Dec 2, 2015
TX
U also have down south offroad in crosby and general sams in huntsville, oh and creekside edge in splendora. Those are the three that i visit on a regular basis. Dso is by far the best for the buck within fifty miles.

P

pmpislander

Dec 2, 2015
TX
Friends, Anyone know a nice place to ride close to Houston, Tx. Looking for a nice family weekend, trails , nature exploration. any suggestions?

Let me know when ur gonna go ride.....ill try and meet ya out there......after I get all my mods wired up and going. Nothing like spending 20k and then putting another 5k in accessories on

Reactions: vince

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!