Please HELP with New Rim/Tire Setup.

W

wildkong

Jun 10, 2022
Panama
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I live in Latin America so it is nearly impossible for me to return items to USA once I purchase so I want to make sure I ordered the correct setup.

I ordered the following:

Front = Black Rhino Parker 15x7 +36mm
Rear = Black Rhino 15x7 +51mm

Tire offset are a little confusing to me some say 6+1, some say 50mm, so I just want to make sure I made the correct choice.

I am looking to put 32" Roxxzilla tires if possible?

Another question I have is why does Honda factory have different sizes front to back? I was told to try to match whatever stock is.

Should I keep them the same offset front and back?
Would I need to use spacers if I use the same offset front/back?

Any help is really appreciated, very new to this and loving it!

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I live in Latin America so it is nearly impossible for me to return items to USA once I purchase so I want to make sure I ordered the correct setup.

I ordered the following:

Tire offset are a little confusing to me some say 6+1, some say 50mm, so I just want to make sure I made the correct choice.

Another question I have is why does Honda factory have different sizes front to back? I was told to try to match whatever stock is.

Welcome to forum. First the smaller lighter front tire helps with lighter steering and improved suspension handling via less unsprung weight.

OEM wheel offset has traditionally been 30mm fronts and 50mm rear on most all Honda SXS.
26mm being almost 1" 6+1 offset will keep stock front width and 5+2 in rear will keep stock width in back. You can run 4x136 or 4x137 rims both fit fine, also you can run all 6+1 or all 5+2 offsets if you want same wheels.

Up to 29x10x15 all the way around should be fine. Many are going that route without issues.

Good luck and send pics of your machine in local riding areas. 👍

W

wildkong

Jun 10, 2022
Panama
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Thank you for the help, I was able to do a little more research and decided to go with 51mm on all the tires with 1.5" wheel spaces in the rear. I like the idea of having the same size spare tire for all tires.

will upload pics soon!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello,

I ordered the following:

Welcome from south Fl

Good luck with the new set up and post some pics when you can 👍

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thank you for the help, I was able to do a little more research and decided to go with 51mm on all the tires with 1.5" wheel spaces in the rear. I like the idea of having the same size spare tire for all tires.

will upload pics soon!
Lose the spacers. It’s just extra unsprung weight. It will handle and turn better on dirt and asphalt if the rear is slightly narrower than the front.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think 32's will rub 'some' on the Talon X, someone will be along in a minute to confirm or deny. 32's are too tall for my extreme altitudes so I'm running 30's (over 13k feet elevation at times and regularly over 10k).

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@wildkong
Welcome from Michigan, the mitten.
will be waiting for your pics and enjoy your rig.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve built and tuned suspensions on buggy’s, trophy trucks, and 3 classes of desert racers. Spacers slow down the reaction of the shock, and mess with the steering geometry as well, not to mention the added stress on the wheel bearings. For handling purposes, you want your front width slightly wider than the rear so it tracks and turns better, except in sand. In sand, when running paddle tires, you have so much forward bite, the front tires just push. To get the front to turn, you run it narrower than the rear so it will essentially lay over on the outside tire, dig in a little, and turn. You don’t have to believe me, but I would like to know your reasoning for running spacers. Not only how the added weight helps the suspension, but how does having the rear wider help the car handle better. Please be specific, because I would like to forward your reasoning to other race car tuners in case they want to change the way they have been setting up their machines for decades. If your just doing it for the looks, and don’t care what it does to the performance of the car, then never mind.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I think the unsprung weight argument is valid, but negligible here, especially for recreational use.

The narrower rear approach is a personal preference issue as well. Clearly Honda felt a "square" approach was the best compromise for the majority (of again, recreational users).

These boil down to personal preference, with both approaches being valid; this is not a political discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington and CID
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve built and tuned suspensions on buggy’s, trophy trucks, and 3 classes of desert racers. Spacers slow down the reaction of the shock, and mess with the steering geometry as well, not to mention the added stress on the wheel bearings. For handling purposes, you want your front width slightly wider than the rear so it tracks and turns better, except in sand. In sand, when running paddle tires, you have so much forward bite, the front tires just push. To get the front to turn, you run it narrower than the rear so it will essentially lay over on the outside tire, dig in a little, and turn. You don’t have to believe me, but I would like to know your reasoning for running spacers. Not only how the added weight helps the suspension, but how does having the rear wider help the car handle better. Please be specific, because I would like to forward your reasoning to other race car tuners in case they want to change the way they have been setting up their machines for decades. If your just doing it for the looks, and don’t care what it does to the performance of the car, then never mind.
Your experience Is impeccable Ill give you that.
I wont bore you or brag on my experience in the Racing field. This aint the place or thread for that.
But, For Racing and all things that the average person on here dosnt do yeah spcers are not Ideal. you did say they weigh alot witch is not true there quite light lol.
Again, for the average person riding on here, what your talking about dosnt apply and wont matter. All thats gonna do is confuse the Fuc out of them And make them think they need a machine to run the Baja 1000 😂 Yeah and for looks, you can bet your ass its for looks! A machine with the right set up they look BA on there. Thats what most of these folks want is there $hit to look good. ;)

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your experience Is impeccable Ill give you that.
I wont bore you or brag on my experience in the Racing field. This aint the place or thread for that.
But, For Racing and all things that the average person on here dosnt do yeah spcers are not Ideal. you did say they weigh alot witch is not true there quite light lol.
Again, for the average person riding on here, what your talking about dosnt apply and wont matter. All thats gonna do is confuse the Fuc out of them And make them think they need a machine to run the Baja 1000 😂 Yeah and for looks, you can bet your ass its for looks! A machine with the right set up they look BA on there. Thats what most of these folks want is there $hit to look good. ;)
Well said

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just put 4x3 on my rears with the 1x6 on front and did not use spacers and did not want to mess with them,,, I was not concerned about the spare tire deal if needed I can use a odd width wheel just to get where I want to go or back to the trailer.

A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Mainly the spacers are so you can run the same aftermarket rim in all four locations. Just makes it easier to swap tires if you have a problem out riding. Plus I think it looks weird with the back narrower than the front.

wyogz

wyogz

Nov 23, 2020
Cheyenne, WY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Welcome to forum. First the smaller lighter front tire helps with lighter steering and improved suspension handling via less unsprung weight.

OEM wheel offset has traditionally been 30mm fronts and 50mm rear on most all Honda SXS.
26mm being almost 1" 6+1 offset will keep stock front width and 5+2 in rear will keep stock width in back. You can run 4x136 or 4x137 rims both fit fine, also you can run all 6+1 or all 5+2 offsets if you want same wheels.

Up to 30x10x15 all the way around should be fine. Many are going that route without issues.

Good luck and send pics of your machine in local riding areas. 👍
I run 31X10X15 Tusk Terribite with Raceline Trophy Wheels on all four on a 1000X-4 2021 Talon, and it works really good for me.

Z

ZahraM5

Jun 28, 2022
POLAND
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run 31X10X15 Tusk Terribite with Raceline Trophy Wheels on all four on a 1000X-4 2021 Talon, and it works really good for me.

Thank you for the feedback, mate. Im also interested in such wheels.

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have 31x10x15 terrabites as well. I put them on Tusk beadlocks. I have been very happy , no air loss in over a year, no rubbing..
I went 5+2 on all four corners and 1.5" spacers in the rear. I wanted to be able to rotate them if I ever decide to plus I like the looks of matching wheels. As for spacers, I was not at all concerned about the extra 1/2 pound (or less) added to my rear end.
I don't know if we are aloud to say where we bought our add-ons... but you can PM me if you would like to know. I saved a couple hundred $$ over the big retailers.
Parker2
Night

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!