Plow help request

M

Mickey7

Jun 10, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
FNG here, my first post. I’m about to buy a P1k which I’ll be plowing with here in central WV. I’m retiring my 6.0L Silverado w/ 7.5’ Meyers plow and am gonna try a Boss or Western V plow.
I live down in a holler and have two miles of dirt/gravel road, mostly uphill on the initial pass. That’s why I’m going with a V plow, so I can cut through a big snow rather than trying to push it uphill.

I don’t have any experience plowing w/ a sxs and have some questions. Do I need a second battery for a hydraulic plow? I haven’t bought the plow yet but none of the dealers I’ve spoken with have mentioned this.
I’m looking at 400 lbs, will the front suspension need beefing up? What’s best?
Any tips or advice on what I’m in for are welcome, I really appreciate this forum where everyone shares their experience.

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FNG here, my first post. I’m about to buy a P1k which I’ll be plowing with here in central WV. I’m retiring my 6.0L Silverado w/ 7.5’ Meyers plow and am gonna try a Boss or Western V plow.
I live down in a holler and have two miles of dirt/gravel road, mostly uphill on the initial pass. That’s why I’m going with a V plow, so I can cut through a big snow rather than trying to push it uphill.

I don’t have any experience plowing w/ a sxs and have some questions. Do I need a second battery for a hydraulic plow? I haven’t bought the plow yet but none of the dealers I’ve spoken with have mentioned this.
Any tips or advice on what I’m in for are welcome, I really appreciate this forum where everyone shares their experience.
I don't have to plow, but I know the winch weight did the stock shocks in on our P1 Deluxe, so I would be guessing yes. But you don't plow fast, The LE's come with adjustable spring preload adjustments on there shocks, or you can buy some accessory shocks that do?

M

Mickey7

Jun 10, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't have to plow, but I know the winch weight did the stock shocks in on our P1 Deluxe, so I would be guessing yes. But you don't plow fast, The LE's come with adjustable spring preload adjustments on there shocks, or you can buy some accessory shocks that do?

Thanks Smitty, I didn’t know about the LE’s adjustable springs. Im still shopping around for my P1, that’s another option to look at.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you are interested in the motoalliance Denali brand plows I can cut a great summer deal on the whole package with hydraulics.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

Mickey7

Jun 10, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you are interested in the motoalliance Denali brand plows I can cut a great summer deal on the whole package with hydraulics.
Thanks.

Don’t know anything about Denali. Do they have a 6’ V plow? Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Don’t know anything about Denali. Do they have a 6’ V plow? Thanks
No.
Just a common stright and the PRO plow in 6ft. The pro is curved like a DOT plow it rolls the snow to one side for constant plowing.

Here is a link.
Denali UTV Pro Series Snow Plow Kit

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I say that you absolutely need a second battery! The best there is-Optima Yellow Top! ;) I’ve plowed for years but have never had hydraulics but the use of the winch alone has drained my secondary! Also keep in mind that with only one battery your electrical system will be strained and may cause you problems!
Add a dual battery kit with isolator and you will not regret it! @Hondasxs has them for sale here in the store;)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I plow with hydraulic turn straight blade. You define need another battery no doubt. I've seen the boss V and they're nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: wildbill
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A friend has a 700 with a Snowdog V plow on it. He runs the factory battery only.
When he uses the plow, he loses his power steering due to the draw of the plow. I keep telling him to go with a second battery, but he seems content with no power steering while moving the plow.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you have to keep it on a battery charger after too, stock rectifier is not going to charge two batteries in the time it takes to plow

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!