ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was called to help change a belt on a Polaris General the other day. We all poke fun at the rubber band machines, I know. But Polaris has actually done something about the inconvenience of drive belt issues. Rather than reinvent the wheel (or the belt, in this case), they moved the drivetrain to the rear of the machine, and made it very easy to replace your ruined $250 belt. You don't have to remove the left rear wheel, or really any other parts - besides the snorkel and cover. Genius! I almost wish I'd have bought one of those rather than my Pioneer that will never need a belt.................almost

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was called to help change a belt on a Polaris General the other day. We all poke fun at the rubber band machines, I know. But Polaris has actually done something about the inconvenience of drive belt issues. Rather than reinvent the wheel (or the belt, in this case), they moved the drivetrain to the rear of the machine, and made it very easy to replace your ruined $250 belt. You don't have to remove the left rear wheel, or really any other parts - besides the snorkel and cover. Genius! I almost wish I'd have bought one of those rather than my Pioneer that will never need a belt.................almost
Easiest way to change a Polaris belt is to very liberally spray the cover down with starting fluid. Only tool needed then is a match. :)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
He told me he paid $250 for the belt but a quick search shows OEM belts can be had for $130

I seriously hate belt drivetrains... Imagine having to carry one of those around in case you smoke it back in the woods somewhere. This is a $130 wear and tear part, and when it fails, you don't move.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!