DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The biggest deal here is the transmission: no more rubber band. It's now a steel band...

IMG 2588

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I saw their pics before I think they look better. I expect more manufacturers to break their little “pact”.

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
More s*** to break, CVTs were a disaster for cars and still can be for certain models and if not maintenance properly.

Remember kids, you can't spell Polaris without P-O-S.
I have a hard time recommending a Nissan due to those trannies. I do a few a year.
I wonder if this tranny is sourced or done in house?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a hard time recommending a Nissan due to those trannies. I do a few a year.
I wonder if this tranny is sourced or done in house?
According to the guy I bought a fifth wheel hitch from recently who is a engineer that works for Polaris. He said in discussed a lot of their issues with fires and quality is their outsourcing of manufacturing and parts. He said the top brass can’t seem to fathom or understand that. So I highly doubt it’s in house.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
According to the guy I bought a fifth wheel hitch from recently who is a engineer that works for Polaris. He said in discussed a lot of their issues with fires and quality is their outsourcing of manufacturing and parts. He said the top brass can’t seem to fathom or understand that. So I highly doubt it’s in house.
It's all about money these days.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
After watching the video, I noticed they also have an EV version. Considering all the fires started by Lithium batteries and chargers, maybe they've taken their Pyro builds to the next level. Can you imagine what a piece of s*** it has to be and the thought of having one repaired at some of their dealers. We have people constantly asking wether Kubota offers an EV side by side.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Agreed, there's no way Polaris designed this trans from the ground up, that looks like a typical automotive unit. If I were to guess it's a Jatco. They have a lot of different models of CVTs and sell them to many different OEMs.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If I were to guess it's a Jatco. They have a lot of different models of CVTs and sell them to many different OEMs.
That is what I suspect as well. Used to be owned (at least in part) by Nissan.

The smaller Nissan cars seem to start having issues with them by 130k or so. A few go much longer, some take a s*** at less than that. None of them seem to do as well as a conventional automatic.

The good news is that most Nissan dealers stock several as part of Nissans reman program. Even comes with fluid. All you need is 5k bucks or so, and it will be new again...for another 130k miles:rolleyes:

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After watching the video, I noticed they also have an EV version. Considering all the fires started by Lithium batteries and chargers, maybe they've taken their Pyro builds to the next level. Can you imagine what a piece of s*** it has to be and the thought of having one repaired at some of their dealers. We have people constantly asking wether Kubota offers an EV side by side.
EV sxs like an electric golf cart. 🤣

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Agreed, there's no way Polaris designed this trans from the ground up, that looks like a typical automotive unit. If I were to guess it's a Jatco. They have a lot of different models of CVTs and sell them to many different OEMs.
Similar to Honda cars?

Reactions: Backwoods and 906UP
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you I ain't buying no car with a CVT. I'll keep that limited to my snowmobiles.

From what I've gathered, there are a lot of them out there now. You guys mentioned Nissan and I know a guy that bought a used Nissan for his kid and wound up sending it to salvage when they found out what it would cost to fix it. I drove a Toyota rental car last year with a CVT. I'm wondering what Toyota's record is with them. Are all of the manufacturers plaguing their customers with crapcan CVT's?

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can tell you I ain't buying no car with a CVT. I'll keep that limited to my snowmobiles.

From what I've gathered, there are a lot of them out there now. You guys mentioned Nissan and I know a guy that bought a used Nissan for his kid and wound up sending it to salvage when they found out what it would cost to fix it. I drove a Toyota rental car last year with a CVT. I'm wondering what Toyota's record is with them. Are all of the manufacturers plaguing their customers with crapcan CVT's?
I think they are normally good till around 100,000 miles. I checked 3 or 4 years ago and it was generally cheaper to replace the whole unit versus overhaul. That might have changed now.

Reactions: Backwoods and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Similar to Honda cars?
Yup, I know Nissan, Subaru & Honda used Jatco. Think Toyota may have in the early days but they build their own boxes now. I worked on the one GM is building now for the Trax size cars. Stupid high oil pressures in them......think it was 15000 psi if I remember correctly.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!