Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Futuristic a-arm design to limit tire size.
Off-level display to match rider experience.
Limited axle headroom.
Brake lines in a great location.

nc ohcSVgXGL A5ywAX9H2TUp nc htscontent atl3 1N pr6IlSTCtkVN8Y2RthV9S Iwo nc htscontent atl3 1 nc ohc7xvP7dzKGecAX szhsg nc htscontent atl3 2 nc ohcsZw4LBp SS4AX9q2N4r nc htscontent atl3 1 nc ohc3ftihFaDX4oAX83oCyI nc htscontent atl3 1 nc ohcTLZ5x1d3Ar0AX mcAo0 nc htscontent atl3 1 nc ohceNMlf5VtRTcAX b48aq nc htscontent atl3 2SxIRn0E36ZJGMZD 5fNr8wa HBA nc htscontent atl3 1

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Futuristic a-arm design to limit tire size.
Off-level display to match rider experience.
Limited axle headroom.
Brake lines in a great location.

View attachment 400044
A-arm design - stoopit as sh!t.
WTF is off-level design to match rider experience?
WTF is limited axle headroom?
Brake lines in a great location - well, izn't that special. A third grader could pull that off.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Several things at play with the suspension geometry.

The problem with large travel sport SxS suspension is the actual wheel camber and track width control over a large suspension travel.
To get ~20" travel the arms are long but the distance between them is not.
So the designer has to choose between controlling camber (keeping the wheels upright) as the suspension strokes or maintaining the track width.
This is off road racing 101 ever since trucks and buggies started moving away from the old VW based trailing arm system (which has its own issues).

Caned-Ham is going down a different path.
The tall knuckle allows the better camber control while maintaining the track width throughout the suspension stroke.
An added bonus is the upper arm can be (relatively) shorter allowing room for the radiator and other junk stuffed away in the front.

Some observations on the tall knuckle layout.
As the upper arm moves up there is a problem with the ball joint location (maybe you noticed).
While the upper ball joint is inside the rim it can live in an outboard position.
Once the upper ball joint is as high as the rim the ball joint is pushed inboard to a position that screws up the suspension geometry.
But once the upper ball joint is above the tire it can move back out to where the suspension geometry works again.
But it blocks changing the tire size (putting on 8 inch spacers will screw with the suspension geometry again).

Another interesting observation is the relative strength of the arms.
In a typical road car the lower arm carrier about 2/3 of the load (rule of thumb) – this is why the lower ball joint is larger than the upper.
As the upper ball joint moves up the portion of the load carried by the upper ball joint is reduced even more.
Looking at the Canned-Ham’s front suspension the lower arm looks much beefier. (and I suspect the upper arm is aluminum and therefore proportionally larger than the steel lower arm – but just a guess)

I do like the shock attachment on the lower arm.
Tried that once or twice in the past but never got away with it.
It’s strong and it has good packaging – keeps the hood lower for better visibility.

Finally, look at a mid ‘80s Honda Prelude front suspension.
On a car where performance was more important than perception I would be all over this layout.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Gonna be some Cartel guys running these things. $61, 981 + taxes with accsy package LMAO

Polaris our ADV EXPEDITION loaded is $55K

CAN AM hold our Bud Light $62K

Mav r X rs

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nope, serious as a heart attack. :cool:

Still don't know what either of these mean -

WTF is off-level design to match rider experience?
WTF is limited axle headroom?
LOL.
The display is crooked in the images. For having such high travel, the axles have very little room for play.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The polaris 1500 xd 4 door totally optioned out comes in just over $70,000
Well there ya go.

Man once you breach that $40K mark shoot just build a Bronco or Jeep. doesn't matter WHAT $50K toy goes on the trail, scratches dents etc its still $50K. Just as well solve the darn dust, heat, noise, and get 300 mile range while your throwing $$$ down the trail.

I question my sanity of investing $34k in my RMAX with all the farkles to "protect it & me"

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well there ya go.

Man once you breach that $40K mark shoot just build a Bronco or Jeep. doesn't matter WHAT $50K toy goes on the trail, scratches dents etc its still $50K. Just as well solve the darn dust, heat, noise, and get 300 mile range while your throwing $$$ down the trail.

I question my sanity of investing $34k in my RMAX with all the farkles to "protect it & me"
most intellligent comment on this site in months - as well as cant hide money

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The X3 has always been ugly to me. This new rig pins the ugly factor wide open. It will be interesting to see if any of the racers actually run this suspension setup.

These things are getting too expensive for the average rider now. This may be great for a race team but even they still have to build up a race vehicle from this consumer platform.

Oddly how Can-am didn't put the spotlight on the 7 speed transmission. I watch the S3 racing videos all the time and I can't keep track of how many belt changes they make per race!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!