H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With the price so high I expect Honda will sell a lot more Talons and Pioneer 1000's. Can-Am did endorse the use of a DCT. The Maverick R is a full-on race car and not suitable for most trails except in the southwest. It's too heavy and wide with too much HP for trail riding. I want to rent one for a day of riding. They do offer a much better race car then the belt drive Polaris for about the same price. My 40-year-old Can-Am Maverick buddy is saving up for a few years plus he wants to make sure it doesn't have any major problems.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My doucebag co worker (who may have a brother on here) tells me that these have "smart" lighting options that will automatically illuminate (or change intensity) on the mirror your turning into. And that the uppers will automatically change from flood to spot as you gain speed. That sounds like typical Can-am, delivering complex, expensive solutions to problems that don't exist.
And at 77" wide and $40k? Nothing on this earth could persuade me to buy a SxS at that price.

Maybe next cycle you make a "smart" frame that doesn't crack, or a simple, locking diff that actually works?

I do like that mfgs are now acknowledging that the belt is a perceived weak point by many, and are moving away from it. Now put one in an affordable machine at a usable size and maybe you'll have something.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
solutions to problems that don't exist.
the belt is a perceived weak point ~. Now put one in an affordable machine
I get that the cost is out of control.
But remember this is just the flagship vehicle, it's there for you the customer to Ooo & Ahh over while picking up something cheaper.
It's like looking at a Talon R4 Live Valve while picking up a p500...
The cost that bugs me is the p500 is priced above what the p700 used to (and still should) cost.

Problems that don't exist, some honda engineer back in the early 1970s put an extra wheel on a small motorcycle creating the ATC.
The profit from that over the next 15 years financed selling and making cars in the USA taking honda from an also ran to a major car maker in the world.
Maybe headlights wouldn't make or break a SxS, but I bet the steering sensor was already in the EPS and all it took was a little computer coding to execute this.

Non belt trans (no-homo) in a SxS.
I bet honda engineers look at the CVT in other brand SxS and wish they could spend the difference in cost to the DCT on something cool that mattered.
Man, a 12 inch screen head unit with tunes, GPS, captured service manual linked to the DCT codes and a payment calculator built in...

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I get that the cost is out of control.
But remember this is just the flagship vehicle, it's there for you the customer to Ooo & Ahh over while picking up something cheaper.
It's like looking at a Talon R4 Live Valve while picking up a p500...
The cost that bugs me is the p500 is priced above what the p700 used to (and still should) cost.

Problems that don't exist, some honda engineer back in the early 1970s put an extra wheel on a small motorcycle creating the ATC.
The profit from that over the next 15 years financed selling and making cars in the USA taking honda from an also ran to a major car maker in the world.
Maybe headlights wouldn't make or break a SxS, but I bet the steering sensor was already in the EPS and all it took was a little computer coding to execute this.

Non belt trans (no-homo) in a SxS.
I bet honda engineers look at the CVT in other brand SxS and wish they could spend the difference in cost to the DCT on something cool that mattered.
Man, a 12 inch screen head unit with tunes, GPS, captured service manual linked to the DCT codes and a payment calculator built in...
Ok.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Even with the full service manual in HD right on the dash. 90%

A. Won't read it.
B. Will still post the questions on FB trusting opinions of equally lazy and ignorant people who want to see themselves talk.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Several of the 2024 Maverick X3 models have the SHOWA HPG piggyback 2.5 (Dual Speed Compression, Dual-rate spring) shocks. I'm not sure I want a Talon live valve model. It does add several sensors and an ECU. The Can-Am's have way too much electronic crap. I like to keep it simple so a base Talon with the Showa shocks may be my choice.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Several of the 2024 Maverick X3 models have the SHOWA HPG piggyback 2.5 (Dual Speed Compression, Dual-rate spring) shocks. I'm not sure I want a Talon live valve model. It does add several sensors and an ECU. The Can-Am's have way too much electronic crap. I like to keep it simple so a base Talon with the Showa shocks may be my choice.
While I think the Live Valve will evolve into an awesome suspension concept, I think they forced it into the market before it was ready - too much complication in a really harsh environment. What this would end up meaning for me is this - something minor but hard to find fails and I end up riding with a failure light on my dash forever.

Although there are good dealers and Honda techs in some places (like our own HondaTech right here), there are just as many high school dropouts pretending to be techs. I bought my Talon from a very large dealer here in Denver and the quality of work done was embarrassing. It's obvious that he was racing the flat rate manual and didn't give a crap about craftsmanship.

At this time, LV only controls compression damping, not enough for me (and adding rebound adds more complication).

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!