P500 polycarbonate tip out windshield

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi. I'm caper. I have a Pioneer 500. I've hade it since they came out in Nova Scotia. I have the second one in N.S. that is what I was told. I bought the poly tip out wind shield in July of 15. I only have 700 klm's ( around 400 miles ) on the bike total,so only around 200 klm;s since I bought the windshield. I don't drive it at all in the winter, and here that's around 7 months, so not much use for me on the bike. injury. I was cleaning the dust off the bike in the garage ,where it is always, getting it ready for the first trip to Cape Breton, and noticed the windshield has cracks between both set's of screws on top that hold the hinge. there is also a crack starting from both inside screws towards each other, about a half inch long each. Not good for a windshield that's not supposed to crack. I called Honda customer service and was told that they can't do anything about it. The bike is taken very good care of and still looks like new. I talked to an auto glass tech and he said the only way that would happen is a defect in the glass from the drilling.
So keep an eye out for cracks between the screws, if it below a year old, and if not , than your like me. S O O L. It really sucks, because it cost's around $800 up here. The only way to stop the cracks is to drill a hole at the end of the cracks. I've worked with polycarbonate before. but it still sucks that I have to drill holes in a windshield that was defective from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.
Sorry for the rant. But it made me mad.

Caper

Last edited:
Reactions: 500oneer
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
You don't have your clamps super tight do you? That may affect it.

That was my thought. I haven't seen others post about this, and just checked mine. No cracks at 1900 miles.

I'd take pictures and do a full write-up and pass up the chain at Honda. The dealership should be able to do a deep discount on a replacement, regardless.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey C
Make your own windshield.
P500 - DIY half windshield

From the other Coast
Al
Hi AL. Thanks for the email. I have made my own lexan, or polycarbonate windshield. Had it on for about a year and found the little scratches were hard to see through in the bright sun. The hard coat is very scratch resistant and it is a nice windshield, but shouldn't have cracked. But thanks, and I will probably put it back on if the drilling doesn't work.

Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Trigger. That's the first thing I checked, and they are really easy to unbuckle, and they sit in the same spot when unbuckled. they didn't crack towards the frame, just between the two screws and then out towards each other.
But yeah, it was a good thought.
Thanks
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That was my thought. I haven't seen others post about this, and just checked mine. No cracks at 1900 miles.

I'd take pictures and do a full write-up and pass up the chain at Honda. The dealership should be able to do a deep discount on a replacement, regardless.
Hi FuzzyGrub. Good name. I have taken pictures and given them to the dealership, who sent them to customer service, and they are not willing to do anything about the cracks. Even though it says on the website, " WON'T CRACK " not true. I have been a Jointer for about 20 years, and I have to be able to do a bit of everything, fitting wise, so fitting the windshield was pretty easy. I have also been a jointer foreman instructing my guy's on how to install polycarbonate. So what I know about poly is that the holes must have hade a little chip , when drilled, and they just got bigger over time. You can probably tell , it still makes me mad, hahaha. I hope you have a great day FuzzyGrub.
Caper.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, that name comes from a walleye jig, spelled differently. It is not a grooming statement! :D

I couldn't remember if I installed the bracket/grommets direct to the plexy or came pre-installed. Looking at the instructions, they appear to be pre-installed.

I am disappointed they didn't offer you some sort of discount. :(

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Well, that name comes from a walleye jig, spelled differently. It is not a grooming statement! :D

I couldn't remember if I installed the bracket/grommets direct to the plexy or came pre-installed. Looking at the instructions, they appear to be pre-installed.

I am disappointed they didn't offer you some sort of discount. :(
Hi FuzzyGrub, and I laughed out loud at your explanation of your name. I just got off the phone again with Honda CS and after the third time calling, they are going to take it to mediation, fingers crossed. I told her my Bday is Monday, so that would be a good present. Thank god I didn't drill the cracks to stop them. Going to Cape Breton this afternoon with my brother, no bike. might even have a drink of rum when we get there. have a great weekend.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Trigger. The first thing I did was unbuckle the two top buckles and unscrew them one time and reclamp them. They were so loose they jiggled. too loose. But thanks. I talked to Honda again and they are taking it to mediation. fingers crossed.

Caper

Reactions: trigger
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi. I'm caper. I have a Pioneer 500. I've hade it since they came out in Nova Scotia. I have the second one in N.S. that is what I was told. I bought the poly tip out wind shield in July of 15. I only have 700 klm's ( around 400 miles ) on the bike total,so only around 200 klm;s since I bought the windshield. I don't drive it at all in the winter, and here that's around 7 months, so not much use for me on the bike. injury. I was cleaning the dust off the bike in the garage ,where it is always, getting it ready for the first trip to Cape Breton, and noticed the windshield has cracks between both set's of screws on top that hold the hinge. there is also a crack starting from both inside screws towards each other, about a half inch long each. Not good for a windshield that's not supposed to crack. I called Honda customer service and was told that they can't do anything about it. The bike is taken very good care of and still looks like new. I talked to an auto glass tech and he said the only way that would happen is a defect in the glass from the drilling.
So keep an eye out for cracks between the screws, if it below a year old, and if not , than your like me. S O O L. It really sucks, because it cost's around $800 up here. The only way to stop the cracks is to drill a hole at the end of the cracks. I've worked with polycarbonate before. but it still sucks that I have to drill holes in a windshield that was defective from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.
Sorry for the rant. But it made me mad.

Caper
Good news. Honda came through with one for half price. Better than nothing. And they let me keep the old one. So I drilled a hole at the end of the cracks and I'll use it until it cracks across. Three calls to Honda, finally went to mediation. Thanks Susan. The first two calls went nowhere. So thank you Honda. So keep an eye on the top screws for cracks in between the top four screws.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!