P1000 Potential owner/new guy with questions

T

txmedic

Jul 5, 2016
Cypress, Tx
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just got off of the phone with Kevin at Honda of Chattanooga. I'm ready to leave work, grab the trailer and head that way. I'm pretty positive that when the time comes, Kevin is the guy that I'll be buying from.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just got off of the phone with Kevin at Honda of Chattanooga. I'm ready to leave work, grab the trailer and head that way. I'm pretty positive that when the time comes, Kevin is the guy that I'll be buying from.

hah. what like an hour ago you posted you would be possibly waiting for the 2017s.

couldnt even finish a shift before you cracked.

welcome to the club. we are a simple people, and we impulse buy nearly everything. INCLUDING our rigs.

think of a name friend. you wont be leaving that dealership with an empty trailer.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I didn't get excited when I looked at the Rzr in Colorado or in the Can Am that we rented. I ride a Ranger on a frequent basis and used to ride my brothers rzr before he sold it several years ago. The Honda is a different story.. I'm excited about it, can't stop looking at them on line and keep thinking about having one on a trailer while I'm headed to Colorado. I'm excited, I want it NOW.

Damn that white is beautiful.

i chopped a bunch of my story off detailing that same thing. i went to polaris and looked at the general. the pics and website built it up to be this ferrarri mudding tractor that god used to harvest his corn.

that thing is plastic and the only thing i really liked about it was the seats.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ill be pretty comprehensive right here from a VERY VERY biased standpoint. deal with it.

ranger crew fullsize 570. broke. lemon clutch from factory. CV joint slipped out. GUTLESS. low to the ground. scraped on everything. but it was mine.

she did fine, the on demand AWD system is in my opinion matched by none. polaris has that in the bag, no questions no comparisons. i just left in in lock 24/7 and she went everywhere and never had any kind of pulling or driving issues, because it was in 2wd. amazing. and thats about it. thats the only thing about polaris that i can honestly say they are doing that everyone else isnt doing better.

we get to honda and my jaw drops. If any of you know what im talking about, polaris sells their machines with advertisements(look at their website). honda sells their machines with their machines(look at their website). the thing is gorgeous. nothing like in the picture. the picture doesnt come close to being fair.

so we take it for a spin. it was very very quiet. though we werent super stoked about HOW it shifted, we were stoked it had gears. just the violentness of it was offputting. overall that machine stomped the commander we had driven from about 2 hours prior. and the polaris people wouldnt let us ride in the general. honda literally just says "try not to tear up the grass very bad" wat. wat.

moving on, we bought it and i literally drove it from the dealer to my GF parents house. to you other alaskans reading, thats mile 10 on KGB, right past boglebluff. so it was around a 16 mile drive.

i had a headache from all the pops squeaks clangs and bangs, and tears streaming down my face, but performance wise honda murdered the competition ( keep in mind we are not comparing utility to sport) my polaris was a crap ride compared. the vikings not far behind, but man it is looouuuud.

well. a few hundred miles go by, and i do my first oil change.

dude. that is the breaking point. that is the point where you and your machine meld into one beautiful entity , and you go to hondatopia, and you witness the glory of cthulhu, and you can forgive all the idolatry your friends commited, and the first polaris and the first yamaha were washed away. the shifting is now about dead silent. everything is so smooth. and it somehow is still getting better

now here is the bad things that i wouldnt consider issues, more like things that some people may consider partial deal breakers.

1. the heat with a full cab.
2. the full cab leaves a LOT to be desired.(alaskan, winter, doesnt seal, you get the picture)
3. powering through mud or going up a very steep hill, because there is no belt to slip, the machine sort of feels boggish in rpms near idle. so if your under 3000 rpms in 1st gear, the engine just cant wind up due to things. i do like the belt transmissions for that reason, though that one issue isnt enough for me to like belts over gears. i like the gears much much much more than belts. a 8 speed transmission would fix this. having one gear lower would be the difference. I can dream.
4. because there is no belt to give it that little bit of slip, pulling the rig onto say a tilt bed trailer, is pretty damn difficult. lurching forward an inch is much harder than it seems. on the trail you wont notice it, its only when you have another 20k rig infront of you or something like that, that you realise how hard it is to just creep forward a half inch going uphill. you learn to use both feet.
5. no parking brake. truthfully, this doesnt bother me at all. polaris doesnt have one either, so meh.
6. (i consider this one an issue from the factory) when you cross water, steam pours into the cab. its only a problem if you have a window. if you dont disregard.

so here is some good points that i would like to touch, that you wouldnt really be able to understand unless you have driven it. you wont really read about them on any website.

1. the gears dude. the gears. if you want power, it has a sport mode. it keeps your engine wound up and you make lots of power. if you want quiet, keep it in normal, and high and you can downshift and the thing runs at like 2000 rpms? belts cannot do that, and you WILL use that function ALL THE TIME.
2. the filler cap for gas, is IN the cab. that means the cap isnt caked in mud, and is normally pretty clean. if your the type that only does light dust riding, you probably wont enjoy this as much as those of us that drive through skegs, this is great. minor, but great.
3. the suspension is stupid. you can go 3 or 4 times faster than the ranger to have the same ride. i mean it is just buttery smooth. some people say the front will sag with time, i dont really know. i think maybe thats people just wanting an excuse to upgrade things that dont need upgraded?
4. paddle shifters. while this feature is an option (really a requirement) and every other rig doesnt have gears, im not comparing this point to any other machine. im comparing this as an extension of the transmissions, and comparing those to the other utility rigs. if you need more torque, you can downshift while in AUTO mode for a split shot of power. if your going down a hill, you can downshift and literally the steeper the hill the less you need to ride the brakes. the engine braking is that good. if you want less engine brakes, tap up a gear. its ridiculously good. other rigs with engine brakes, dont have the ability to adjust on the fly the ammount of braking applied.
5. with the 1000-5 (which i recommend highly over the 1000) has a roof that extends to cover the seats in the back. what does that mean? all your crap stays dry when its raining. only downside is you get turned into a minivan and your friends lose 2d6 points of respect for you. you can roll for a charisma save.
6. seating. if you opt for the 1000-5 as i did, you get 2 crappy little jumper seats in the back. 2 FULL GROWN MEN can ride back there fine. there is plenty of leg room and its just as smooth of a ride as the front. its the whoops that get you (think rollercoaster or riding the schoolbus). the ability to use them is great. but if you dont want to, its nearly the same bed as the NA version. its amazing how often you will use them.

welcome to the forum. get a honda or our lord and savior Cthulhu will smite you.
this is classic! @Hondasxs ^^^this gets my vote for post of the year!lol

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i chopped a bunch of my story off detailing that same thing. i went to polaris and looked at the general. the pics and website built it up to be this ferrarri mudding tractor that god used to harvest his corn.

I for one would like to hear "the rest of the story". Particularly the part about the General.

I have sat in one, I didn't really like it that much. My brother wants one really bad though and tried to convince me to get one. Have to fight as much as I did to just get the darn door to close was enough to make me lose interest.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love my white p1k5. The whole family is comfortable for hundreds of miles at a time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I for one would like to hear "the rest of the story". Particularly the part about the General.

I have sat in one, I didn't really like it that much. My brother wants one really bad though and tried to convince me to get one. Have to fight as much as I did to just get the darn door to close was enough to make me lose interest.
Honestly bang for buck and please don't anyone hate me for saying this but...here goes the 570 was kinda fun. Never owned one but been around many and driven many "for the money " a used one if I had to have a Polaris and again please no one fry me here...they are one of the better "belted older American rides" they beat and bang a lot are hot are under powered are very very common and aren't the most dependable but compared to the bigger rzr's being who I am would choose that. I know I maybe don't say crap like that very often but I will give credit where I feel I should. The general is a pos! Pos! I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Seats were cozy but they flexed really bad. Dash layout felt great but cheap, nice ride but only a little better (keep in mind Honda gets better popo will get worse) good power but not the same,good looking but cheap. That's the good.. It was sooooo cheap. Felt like an '80's small dodge product. The doors on the low mileage one I drove were like a Snap-tite model. They came apart just shutting it hard (required) just horrible! I don't have any clue as to how that could be same class it's just not.ill always choose dependability even if it drastically effects the fun factor but that not a problem here the pioneer is also fun. We are very hard on things and people keep telling us all these "stories" of popo holding together forever, not with us. If you beat a Honda and immaculately took care of Polaris and Can-Am they "might" live close. For us it's Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki in that order but we chose Honda. I've said this " I bleed red but on very special circumstances you get some blue out" after gears I can't go back

Last edited:
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
please don't anyone hate me for saying this but...here goes the 570 was kinda fun.

i would have really enjoyed mine if i didnt get the crew. theres the skinny. but its nowhere near the machine i have now. no regrets dumping that pig.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

so my polaris dealer is trash. they are very rude and condescending. I looked online about the general. i didnt HATE my polaris because of the machine. i didnt like my machine because i got the crew. thats on me.

but polaris is a bunch of asshats. I walked in and i said i was interested in looking at a general. The guy laughed at me like i said something stupid. He then said we dont have any and have no idea when they will get another one.... like this is some hard to find item? you have one job, to sell me polaris machines..... and your telling me you know as much as i do when they get in? are they made of gold? like they are handcrafted by craftsman? i mean give me a break.

so anyways i hang around and see the manager who sold me my rig. she is rude too. but i asked her if they had a general i could look at. she said they had 3 back for warranty and i could go check them out.

before i continue. rewind about a year and a half. when i bought my crew, i kicked my back ramps off the trailer when loading. back wheels hung off about 3 inches past the back. not a big deal. so i call them up for warranty work. my rig wouldnt idle. the clutch was basically stuck. the dude kept saying to put more miles on the thing, and finally he gave up. i couldnt start the damn thing.... how do i put miles on it? (you have to have your foot on the brake to start, and if the brake is on the thing cant move forward so its bound)

anyways fast forward. manufacturer didnt install clutch correctly. missing weights and stuff. mechanic said he was suprised they sold it to me that way, and that they should have been able to feel the difference (funny thing was that i commented on how much harder it shifted than some other ones when i was test driving)

so faster forwardser. back at polaris talking to manager to see one of the generals. She tells me she knows that i spun the belt out when i was loading it. i told her that it was a warranty for the clutch and she literally again said no you spun your belt out i watched you.

so whatever. the general. I was sold on it before i walked into the door. It was the rzr meets ranger. problem with ranger is its super low gears and is very very utility. problem with rzr is there is absolutely jack s*** for storage. ima hunter first, so i need that bed.
enter the general. the answer to my prayers. looking online the thing was amazing.

get to the damn dealer, get treated like crap, and finally see the general.

plastic. flimsy plastic. thats like 80% of the general. doors are s*** to close, though they are gasketed. everything about it is for a casual. its for someone that wants to buy a pretty thing and park it out front and occasionally go down a dirt trail (groomed of course)

its not quite the rzr. the rzr just seems way more polished and sturdier. no bed. no storage kills it for me.

the snorkel would be near impossible. they like to use these super dumb weird shaped pipes so you have to buy the kit. pretty mean. THANK YOU HONDA

so yeah. the thing was just lackluster. it sat way lower to the ground than they lead you to believe, and the dash and everything just seemed built cheap for a 19k rig.

there was literally nothing about that machine that really got me going. even the styling was lackluster. they hype it up so much online and you see it in person and they just look like crap dude.

my polaris dealer literally lost my business not by selling me an inferior product (which they did sell me a lemon) but beacuse they treated me like crap.

go to honda, and the dude is like yeah dude go take it for a test run. wouldnt even talk to me anymore (not in a rude way, but in an insisting way). the thing sold itself. online, i was NOT impressed. i thought it kind of sucked. it was just the opposite of the general. no advertising. didnt look aggressive. didnt look all that great.

i would tell your buddy, that the general is NOT the honda. its a pretty thing, and possibly not a pile, but if you look online you will see driveline issues people are having. Guess what? polaris refuses to warranty them. im over polaris. they lost me as a customer, and i will tell everyone to consider something else.

so the story sucks. but thats because it is about polaris. what did you expect? a good story? then let me tell you about my savior, Cthulhu.
thread hijack end.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
i would have really enjoyed mine if i didnt get the crew. theres the skinny. but its nowhere near the machine i have now. no regrets dumping that pig.
Oh nowhere close! But I do enjoy driving one they are fun especially because they can be had so cheaply but I did mean the two passenger and that wouldn't work for us at all I wouldn't go back to belt even if it were as dependable as a Honda. I was just being honest. No regrets here either!! I flipping love the Pioneer understand that!

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Did you look at the shocks?

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had mine a week yet and I love it so far. I usually get some sort of buyers remorse on big purchases like this one, but not with the 1000-5. I have been having all kinds of fun with it, and just loaded the bed with firewood a little bit ago (first job for it). Has great power, and rides great. My only complaint so far, is the door rattles are starting to get to me, and its freezing cold with no windshield!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!