BOX1

P1000 Power loss

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How much power loss with 28" tires. I don't have to go with 28" the factory 27" are fine. I have about 1100 miles on the factory bais tires and I can see it won't be long until I need tires. Here's my problem. Opinions welcome. Two things:
*I will be pulling a 4' x 6' trailer fully loaded with fire wood, with the bed loaded also, up and down hills and it's muddy in spots.
*I ride on the road some and when I'm off road, where I'm located, I will have to drive through some mud and cow crap. And when I say mud I mean tractor ruts in winter in feed areas and some ditch and creek crossing.

I've had ITP Envolutions on a rig before that did pretty good but I'm wondering if there is anything out there that could give me more tire life and mud traction.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So many variables with your question. Tires, wheels what your pulling. Very hard to give u an answer. Thats just something your going to have to just try see and give us a report.
as for better tire life? LT tires will give u the best. I have an LT/MT and have lasted me 10times longer than any UTV tire ive had. traction is not an issue either. There a bit heavier but Im not on the race circuit

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your a fan of ITP's might try the Terra Hooks, it's what I run and will it's time to replace, a new set will go on.
I've looked at the Versa Cross Series also. I also like the Carlisle Versa Trail. I local dealer deals in both these brands. What I'm trying to do is not get hung up after spending $$$ for tires. I had dirt bike I road on the road a lot and wore out tires quick, so I decided to try and on/off tire. That was a bad idea couldn't go anywhere in the mud. I've got to have traction in the winter and I just wanted to see if anyone else done the same type riding and would have a better wearing mud tire. I need to hit the lottery and have a set of wheels and tires for summer and winter. Also with the Veras and Terra Hook, they don't come in my size wheels. I have the 12" wheels. I'm not married to the 12" wheels but now were talking and a lot of $$$. I remember buying 33" mud tires for less than $100 back in the day. It's hard to believe they rape you on these small UTV tires. Supply and demand and idiots like me that buy them. Ha Ha.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So many variables with your question. Tires, wheels what your pulling. Very hard to give u an answer. Thats just something your going to have to just try see and give us a report.
as for better tire life? LT tires will give u the best. I have an LT/MT and have lasted me 10times longer than any UTV tire ive had. traction is not an issue either. There a bit heavier but Im not on the race circuit
I guess that's one of my questions. I read about people getting a lot of life out LT/MT tires but I need more information about how well they go in mud. I'm not mud running but it can deep quick in the winter and it's that old sticky red clay mixed with cow crap in my area.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess that's one of my questions. I read about people getting a lot of life out LT/MT tires but I need more information about how well they go in mud. I'm not mud running but it can deep quick in the winter and it's that old sticky red clay mixed with cow crap in my area.
The Terra Hooks aren't a great mud tire or anything else tire, they just work in all terrains reasonably well, that do clean out the mud easily.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't noticed any power loss going from the stock tires to now having 28" itp blackwaters. I think you'll be fine. The back tires did rub on the roll bar a little under full compression when I hit a big bump. I have 28x11 on the back. 28x9 on the front. I feel like the LT tires @Remington has would last a lot longer but you would lose some traction in the mud. Idk how much though

I used to pull a 4x6 trailer of firewood with my 700. I'm sure my 1000 would pull it much better.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No power loss -
I actually think the 28" x 10 roll better than the Bighorn 2.0 - 27". These are not the best tire for everything thing, but good in most all conditions and reviews say they wear really well. 8 ply, 3/4" tread, DOT @ < 50# per each tire & wheel.
Time will tell.
Resized 20220806 181014

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They've been great for me and many others in the mud. Ive had them at the TO at RRB to Colorado And no complaints. Even at my cabin in 2’ of snow in areas.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I feel like the LT tires @Remington has would last a lot longer but you would lose some traction in the mud. Idk how much though
Should have tagged u in the last post lol.
none whatsoever. Compaired to my other UTV tires and my carnivores on my Talon as well

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with 28X9.5-14 DOT 8 ply tire all around and never noticed any power loss. They are wearing like iron and seem to be good in all conditions including mud. I haven't tried them much in the snow yet. I still have the factory bighorns and rims that I'm thinkin about getting studded for the winter.

IMG 5542
IMG 5549

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with 28X9.5-14 DOT 8 ply tire all around and never noticed any power loss. They are wearing like iron and seem to be good in all conditions including mud. I haven't tried them much in the snow yet. I still have the factory bighorns and rims that I'm thinkin about getting studded for the winter.

View attachment 348795View attachment 348796
I like those

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 348795View attachment 348796
Man, those things are cheap. Not. Nice looking tire.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Man, those things are cheap. Not. Nice looking tire.
The ones I posted are 1/2 that price btw But mine are 30x9.5x15
heres a set I would not pass on in the 28x14 size LT’s nice tread and cheep. Remember there not going in your truck going 75mph on the highway 🤣 Dont overthink it!

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 Mud-Terrain Tire - 27X8.50R14 6-ply (1891613) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVB9W80/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Last edited:
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I think I'm gonna get a second set of rims and get a more agressive tire than the Terrabites. I like the idea of the LT tires. especially for road riding where we do 85% of our riding

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!