P500 Power Steering Installation Wiring Advice

S

StateLine

Oct 21, 2020
Northwest Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased the SuperATV EZ-Steer power steering kit for my 2020 Pioneer 500. This is the first upgrade that I'm going to try myself and I'm walking through the steps beforehand as I don't have a lot of mechanical experience. To prep, I've read the instructions, watched some videos (for models that weren't Pioneers), and I've read some great threads on this forum, such as Power Steering Install by Code54. But still confused on a few points.

The instructions say to connect to the white wire of the EZ-Steer harness to the white w/ black strip wire in the stock 12V AUX plug. I had a wench installed at the dealership when I bought the P500. In the picture below, am I correct in thinking that an accessory harness was used in the wench installation?
Wiring Labeled Resampled

In the close-up of what I think is an additional hook-up on the accessory harness, the green and white w/ black strap wires match the wire combination found in the stock 12V AUX plug.

Additional Hook Up Close up
Stock 12V AUX Plug Close Up

Would you recommend I try connecting to the accessory harness hook up or the stock 12v AUX plug? Also, do people cut off the spade connector at the end of the white wire on the EZ-Steer harness or what are you supposed to do with it?

Reactions: Brmcg324
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, it does look like the accessory harness was used.
Eiter will work as long as you make a good connection.
It's not the main power source, it's only used for a trigger wire.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
All of the accessory harnesses that I've seen have had 4 bundles of wires coming off of them. I'd pick one of those and use as your trigger wire (as HondaSxS mentioned). All it's doing is telling your powersteering to turn on. You can do that however you like. Most go with an ignition-on wire via the accessory harness. I tied mine into my accessory power switch so I could turn it on and off for any reason I wanted.

If you want to know what wire you've got, and you have a multi-meter, or even a test light. Take a poke at it while you turn on the ignition to see what it does. Or use your tongue...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Or use your tongue...
Hmmmmmm, seems someone tried that once and didn’t fancy it…..🤔 It also sounds strikingly like something she would say…..

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
S

StateLine

Oct 21, 2020
Northwest Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. Great to have a place where these kind of questions can get answered. Hopefully next weekend I can actually get the kit installed.

Reactions: Montecresto
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't fully read your question(s), so to clarify, you can use any of the connections on the accessory harness, and yes, I cut the white wire to the proper length.

As for the install, on the replacement shaft u-joints note that the clamps are different sizes for the motor than for the rack/pinion or steering wheel. Also, remove the bolt in the u-joints, slide them on the shafts, then replace the bolt.

The trickiest part was getting the mounting bracket tightened down as far to the passenger side as possible to ensure clearance so the shaft doesn't hit the master cylinder. As I tightened it down it wanted to wiggle back toward the drivers side. I had my wife use a long screwdriver for leverage and apply pressure between the frame and mounting bracket until I got it tight. Someone else said they used a ratchet strap to hold it over while they tightened.

ADDED: Oh, and if you didn't already know, you can tie power to the winch block instead of running it to the battery.

Last edited:
S

StateLine

Oct 21, 2020
Northwest Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Actually, I had no idea you could tie into the wench block, so thanks for sharing! I’m going to be sure to keep an eye out for movement on the bracket as I don’t want it to damage the master cylinder. Those are some good ideas for keeping it in place.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I didn't fully read your question(s), so to clarify, you can use any of the connections on the accessory harness, and yes, I cut the white wire to the proper length.

As for the install, on the replacement shaft u-joints note that the clamps are different sizes for the motor than for the rack/pinion or steering wheel. Also, remove the bolt in the u-joints, slide them on the shafts, then replace the bolt.

The trickiest part was getting the mounting bracket tightened down as far to the passenger side as possible to ensure clearance so the shaft doesn't hit the master cylinder. As I tightened it down it wanted to wiggle back toward the drivers side. I had my wife use a long screwdriver for leverage and apply pressure between the frame and mounting bracket until I got it tight. Someone else said they used a ratchet strap to hold it over while they tightened.

ADDED: Oh, and if you didn't already know, you can tie power to the winch block instead of running it to the battery.

Hindsight Pro-tip - Drill a locating hole through the bracket plate and into the bar and run a self-tapper through it to hold it in place while you tighten the other bolts. If I had to do it over again (I struggled too...), this is what I would have done.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Hindsight Pro-tip - Drill a locating hole through the bracket plate and into the bar and run a self-tapper through it to hold it in place while you tighten the other bolts. If I had to do it over again (I struggled too...), this is what I would have done.

Good idea. I read someone else say they drilled and tapped a hole, and I'm not set up to tap, but never thought about a self tapping screw. 👍

Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500

How do you tie the power into the winch block? And do you have to add any extra relays or anything

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!