P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree these guys have their heads up their ass. I wouldn't want them touching my stuff either.

Call Honda and tell them what you've been told, they cant refuse to do a warranty update.

FYI _ drove 200 miles round trip to go to the next closest and hopefully more competent dealer.

Besides it being half a quart low on oil?

procedure: run engine for a minute, shut off and wait 1 minute. Drop dipstick in to check. Don’t thread in to check level. Right?

it appears the clutch update was successful. i Only rode it for 2miles but can’t tell a difference. Dealer said clutchs were fine and they just replaced covers. Had them do throttle assembly as well. 2 hours and they were done.

I called Honda and complained abou my local dealer. How they broke paddle shifter wire when doing cabin comfort update and how they refused to do clutch update because “every one they did made it worse”

honda said Sorry and recommended dealer 200 miles round trip away.

guess I need to take pioneer out for a longer ride to ensure everything was done correctly.
C05EE7A9 1B4D 43C7 9BA2 14DBE24C8203
EE545247 001D 4CDC A283 D7431D1C5BF6

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI _ drove 200 miles round trip to go to the next closest and hopefully more competent dealer.

Besides it being half a quart low on oil?

procedure: run engine for a minute, shut off and wait 1 minute. Drop dipstick in to check. Don’t thread in to check level. Right?

it appears the clutch update was successful. i Only rode it for 2miles but can’t tell a difference. Dealer said clutchs were fine and they just replaced covers. Had them do throttle assembly as well. 2 hours and they were done.

I called Honda and complained abou my local dealer. How they broke paddle shifter wire when doing cabin comfort update and how they refused to do clutch update because “every one they did made it worse”

honda said Sorry and recommended dealer 200 miles round trip away.

guess I need to take pioneer out for a longer ride to ensure everything was done correctly. View attachment 182858 View attachment 182862
It’s run the engine 3-5 minutes and let sit 2-3 minutes.

tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are your thoughts on having this done if I haven’t had any issues at 3400 miles? Should I take it in or just carry on?

Reactions: Biteme
2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are probably asking Honda Tech....

My opinion is get it done only if your dealer has done a few already. It's free, all the new 2018+ come with it from the factory.

I drove mine 75 miles after the update and noticed:

Update done at 1200 miles, they replaced covers, did NOT replace clutch as they were within spec.

Smoother takeoff when cold. Not as lurchy and jerky.

Warm shifts seem maybe slightly smoother.

Low range still jerky, especially with new drivers who don't know how to finesse the throttle in low.

Check your engine oil level before leaving dealer!

J

Jaybird8805

Apr 14, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at purchasing a used 2016 1000-5 with 300 miles. Was just curious with anyone’s experience doing this upgrade themselves. I’m personally not one to rely on “shops” to fix my stuff. I’m an hvac tech by trade and have plenty of mechanical ability. Just looking for information.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess mine has been fixed, correct?

For the guys that aren't really sure how to find and check this, it's super easy. Dump ur bed, go to passenger side, on the rear floorboard in-between where your feet would go is a plastic cover that says "NOT A STEP", remove the four pushpins and the cover comes off, look inside and there it is. Hope this helps.

Fixed

Last edited:
J

Jaybird8805

Apr 14, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was not hard with a little assistance from some knowledge people on this forum, when the new parts list came out I found all the updated pieces and ordered them myself and completed the task. I’m sure it probably comes in a kit now days.

Copy that, ya I mean I rebuilt the automatic transmission in my 06 dodge Cummins. I feel I should be able to handle changing the clutch cover. I’m going to get the service manual as well as I tend to fix my own stuff.

advertisement
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had the update done on my 2016 and it was noticeably better at first. It has gradually gone back to touchy engagement and hard shifts. Is there an adjustment?

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just performed the procedure, made a huge difference in the smoothness of shifting. Still touchy on the engagement. Is there another procedure for that?

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So thanks to this forum, and all the great input, I ordered all the parts and did the clutch change out and added the new upgraded plate myself. Everything went fine...no leaks...works great except for one thing, when its all warmed up and I'm on a down hill angle, I get an oil light on the dash sometimes. I've triple checked my oil level hot and cold. (Not screwed in but just resting in the hole) Its perfect. I go to level ground, shut it off for 2 seconds and its fine and light goes off. Level ground and high speeds, its all good. I also want to say I'm not doing big off-roading. I work cattle so if I go to a pasture where there's a slight incline to get out and open a gate, that's when I notice it. Suggestions?

H

HondaTech

So thanks to this forum, and all the great input, I ordered all the parts and did the clutch change out and added the new upgraded plate myself. Everything went fine...no leaks...works great except for one thing, when its all warmed up and I'm on a down hill angle, I get an oil light on the dash sometimes. I've triple checked my oil level hot and cold. (Not screwed in but just resting in the hole) Its perfect. I go to level ground, shut it off for 2 seconds and its fine and light goes off. Level ground and high speeds, its all good. I also want to say I'm not doing big off-roading. I work cattle so if I go to a pasture where there's a slight incline to get out and open a gate, that's when I notice it. Suggestions?

Does it ever shut off when the oil pressure light illuminates?

Id pull the emergency valve piston, id bet its scarred up ans sticking.

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Nope. I just see the idiot light come on...never shuts down.

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have to buy the book on this thing. It may be as when the first clutch burned up, it was pretty dirty. Can you point me to where its located?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!