P1000 Pros and cons, Winch Mounts: Top vs. Bottom vs. Receiver

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm trying to weigh my options for the upcoming winch project now that my dual battery is complete. There are many pros and cons to each of the three ways to mount a winch on a P1K. Mine will mainly be used for property management, so plowing, moving logs, potential recoveries. Very little mud or deep water issues, lots of snow and salt considerations, Heavily wooded lots with narrow trails. Higher end I'm considering a KFi Stealth 4500 but because the winch will see light duty except in the winter, I was also considering lower end one like a Badlands or a Traveler.

I know a bottom mount is the most efficient because of it's lower center of gravity and stronger mount to the frame, but isn't is a pain to free spool the winch because of access? Harder to access if you bury the front end in mud or snow?

A top mount means I have to buy a $400-$700 bumper to mount it on and it will sit up higher which means it's not gonna pull as well as a bottom mount. Top mount is exposed so it's much easier to free spool and it's not buried in the mud. Access is much better but then it's exposed to elements. I could get a cover for it.

A receiver hitch mounted winch is attractive to me because I'll only have to have it out there when I need it. Of course where to store it on the rig will become a concern. Access to the winch would be very good. Also will it work with a plow set up? I fear it might stick out to far forward to lift a plow properly. I think wiring a second rear quick connection point to be able to use the trailer hitch would be useful at times.

Just wondering if anyone else had some input or advise on the direction they went when deciding to mount their winch and why?

Thanks!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the low mount with access. The lower frame has a lot more material to bolt to between the lower bumper mount and the differential mounting bolts. I've been running the KFI winch mount since I got the machine. I agree it's not perfect for the stock bumper but the stock bumper isn't good for much. I have access to see the whole drum, I can reach the freespool knob and I have a beefy skid plate. I should have grabbed a pic today but I notched the skid plate for a bit more cable clearance today out of the fairlead

Img 20170806 101900299 hdr jpg

I'd never want a receiver mount because it would rarely be in the right spot when I need it and it would be a pain to install when you're stuck. I think the top mount winches leave a lot to be desired in mount strength when you look at the front bumpers available for these machines, the mounts are terrible.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the low mount with access. The lower frame has a lot more material to bolt to between the lower bumper mount and the differential mounting bolts. I've been running the KFI winch mount since I got the machine. I agree it's not perfect for the stock bumper but the stock bumper isn't good for much. I have access to see the whole drum, I can reach the freespool knob and I have a beefy skid plate. I should have grabbed a pic today but I notched the skid plate for a bit more cable clearance today out of the fairlead

View attachment 63218

I'd never want a receiver mount because it would rarely be in the right spot when I need it and it would be a pain to install when you're stuck. I think the top mount winches leave a lot to be desired in mount strength when you look at the front bumpers available for these machines, the mounts are terrible.

I saw some earlier photos of your bumper install and it appears you've made some impressive access modifications. It was those photos of the winch being encased behind the fairlead by the bumper made me wonder how the heck to do you get to it but it seems like the access has evolved. I like the Tough Country bumper when it comes to top mount but I agree, it still won't be as strong as a bottom mount to the frame. I was leaning towards the KFi receiver mount because I will rarely use it outside of winter. I do agree that it's really mounted far from the center of gravity which leads me to believe it would only be good winching in a straight line. That rarely happens.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw some earlier photos of your bumper install and it appears you've made some impressive access modifications. It was those photos of the winch being encased behind the fairlead by the bumper made me wonder how the heck to do you get to it but it seems like the access has evolved. I like the Tough Country bumper when it comes to top mount but I agree, it still won't be as strong as a bottom mount to the frame. I was leaning towards the KFi receiver mount because I will rarely use it outside of winter. I do agree that it's really mounted far from the center of gravity which leads me to believe it would only be good winching in a straight line. That rarely happens.

I smashed the RD skid plate my first trip out and found that I wanted more access to the cable. I moved the lower edge back 1.5" and tubed the lower mount to beef it up. I'm pretty happy with the evolution.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my thought.

Bottom
Bad
If you mud ride it gets wet a ton and stays dirty. It want last as long.
Good
The lower angle will help pull you out of a hole. Lower center of gravity.

Bad
Want do as good pulling you out of a hole. Out in the element (if you don't have a cover)
Good
Easier access, If you are hooking to things on the ground it will pull the front end down that will help keep it from sliding forward. ((But this could make the back end pick up easier.))

Receiver
Bad
Gets in the way, Have to plug in and keep plugs clean, noisy, Out in the element (if you don't have a cover)
Good
Can be moved to back, Can be moved out of the way.

I like the top best if I was doing it.

J

JTW

If I were doing it over and I were looking at mainly using it as a work machine... Tough country bumper, no questions!! Going to run you about $600

You know the pros and cons already.

Reactions: BigOL3
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too was considering a top mount bumper. At the end of the day the cost, added weight and diminished approach angle outweighed the inconvenience of accessing the winch low. I just mounted my winch low.

Reactions: ohanacreek
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 63218

Apparently you have not seen the Tough Country bumper...... it is anything but terrible. Shipping weight was 125#, bumper itself ..... 80-85#. Beside the exposed top plate, there is an additional plate under it to support the winch bolting area. It ain't going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too was considering a top mount bumper. At the end of the day the cost, added weight and diminished approach angle outweighed the inconvenience of accessing the winch low. I just mounted my winch low.
Not home to check/verify the angle, but I don't think it is a problem with Tough Country.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparently you have not seen the Tough Country bumper...... it is anything but terrible. Shipping weight was 125#, bumper itself ..... 80-85#. Beside the exposed top plate, there is an additional plate under it to support the winch bolting area. It ain't going anywhere.

I don't consider throwing 85lbs on weight on the front of the machine to be a good use of payload capacity. Additionally the upper tube mounts provided by Honda are not overly supportive of any side load generated by the winch.

advertisement
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't consider throwing 85lbs on weight on the front of the machine to be a good use of payload capacity. Additionally the upper tube mounts provided by Honda are not overly supportive of any side load generated by the winch.
When it rips off/bends/gives way ...... I will post up the pics, but hope you are not holding your breathe for that failure .... lol

Reactions: Gassygordo
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KFI mount behind the stock bumper works for me.
Freespool access is a PITA. But I plan to take a knife to the plastic surround to give me a straight shot at the knob.

Reactions: JTW and Hondoman
J

JTW

KFI mount behind the stock bumper works for me.
Freespool access is a PITA. But I plan to take a knife to the plastic surround to give me a straight shot at the knob.
I love it when you talk dirty like that!!

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
I went with top load on a slasher bumper works for me don't do any deep mudding everyone has there preference.
Good Luck!

Reactions: BigOL3 and JTW
H

hondamark4life

Jan 11, 2018
houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the KFI stealth 4500# with the short spool and used the KFI mount kit. I dont have a problem reaching and activating the free spool. Its a nice clean fit

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Part two of my question, which I probably should start another thread for:

Anyone with a Tough Country or Slasher bumper or any other top mounted winch on a bumper have it set up with a plow? I searched this question and it has been asked a couple times but no one knows for sure. This may solve my original question because I have to be able to mount a snow plow for a 400' driveway.

Manshoon

Manshoon

Jul 5, 2016
Eastern Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
Part two of my question, which I probably should start another thread for:

Anyone with a Tough Country or Slasher bumper or any other top mounted winch on a bumper have it set up with a plow? I searched this question and it has been asked a couple times but no one knows for sure. This may solve my original question because I have to be able to mount a snow plow for a 400' driveway.

I would probably just stick with the stock mount setup because of A Plow. I plow the roads around me in the winter and depending on the depth of the snow you are dealing with, these plow's take allot of abuse. I have the Red 72" Denali on my Red Pioneer and I love it. EASY to hook up and take off. I will say that not all winch mount plates are created equal, stay away from the cheap mounts that want to bolt to the sub frame.

Emp makes a stock bumper winch mount, that's a real pain to install by your self, but once done it is probably the strongest out here for winching purposes. Consider the extra weight of a aftermarket winch bumper and the cost.

Last edited:
D

DDDonkey

I went with the Super ATV winch mount, it was easy to install and easy to get to the winch. I don't mud so low and out of the way is what I wanted.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!