P700 Pulled the trigger on a 700-4 today...

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Missouri.
Just keep reading on this forum and you'll be well informed on everything Pioneer in no time lol

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congratulations! I own the Deluxe but drove the standard model before my purchase. It was a bear to steer in 4wd. You may consider adding power steering, which is available. If you plan on boon docking, front and rear a-arm guards are a good idea, LED lights if you do it at night. Tricking these things out can be a hobby in itself but cheaper than cars (at least that's what I keep telling my wife).

This forum contains a wealth of information and great people that are willing to help. I'm a newbie too.

Best of luck!

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats. Yes the power steering is a MUST, followed by the commander shock update. Other than that, don't pay any attention to the chatter that the 700 is underpowered or whatever. ITs an awesome machine, take care of it and it will take care of you for a long time to come.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from pa

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So... I did the deal on a new 2017 700-4 (non-deluxe) today. Bimini top, 1/2 windshield, winch, bedliner, no-cost first service, and delivery to my place.

Any particular issues or quirkiness to look out for in these 700-4's?

Thanks...
Congrats!

I personally thought the 700 steered very lightly unless you were stopped or in diff lock. Then the PS would come in handy.

Don't know if you drove it much before you bought it (hopefully), but the rear end in these tends to be on the loud side, sounding like a bad pinion bearing. It goes away with some miles and maybe some synthetic thicker gear lube. It also clangs and pops at times, and if you get on the brakes real hard, you will get a "grating" gear lash noise from the rear. This is all normal, so don't be put off by it.

If you're in colder weather-say below 45 degrees or something like that, they can need a bit of warm up before the tranny will move without slipping. Again, normal fare, and synthetic oil after break-in will shorten the time you have to wait.

The doors and dump bed latches will get loose and rattle/squeak after some miles. They have adjustments.

We've has a few 2017's with small coolant leaks from the thermostat housing, so if you smell coolant or notice low levels or stains, that'd be the 1st place to check.

Finally, the oil level in the 700 is not checked in the same manner as your car/truck. It is not a wet-sump engine, per-se...(Honda calls it a "semi-dry sump engine"). There is a time window when the level is representative of where it really needs to be, so you must follow the procedure in the owners manual to the letter, including run times vs temp and wait times to check the level, and it does make a difference in the level. I suspect many 700's are running around with the wrong level in them, which makes their durability even more impressive.

It's also common procedure to run the 700 slightly overfilled on oil to prevent starvation on long-steep climbs.

Last edited:
advertisement
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Congrats on the '17 700! Great machines!

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Follow the maintenance manual, check fluids, etc. and ride! Any problems bring them up on here. A lot of very knowledgeable people that are willing to help. Pics or it didn’t happen!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
So... I did the deal on a new 2017 700-4 (non-deluxe) today. Bimini top, 1/2 windshield, winch, bedliner, no-cost first service, and delivery to my place. Any particular issues or quirkiness to look out for in these 700-4's? Thanks...

Congratulations on the purchase. I owned one previously and added some mud flaps, because it really tosses the mud, see pics attached. The only reason I sold mine was I need something more narrow for key areas on my property, but otherwise would still own it today. One thing you might consider while it is "clean" is go ahead and get some dielectric grease and treat all electrical connections, clean application right now and even if you are taking it swimming, great protection/preventive treatment.....

Pioneer5 Honda pioneer2

Reactions: Budman
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Congrats and welcome. The wife has the 2015 700-4. The only problem we have out of it every once in a while is the exhaust header pipe seperates itself from the muffler. Then you gotta crawl under there and loosen the band, slide them back together, tighten the band, etc.. I have read that this is more of a problem in snorkeled 700's that do a lot of water riding. Other than that, feel free to use and abuse it. Its a Honda.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The longevity and versatility of the 700 have been proven with countless miles. One thing to watch even between service intervals is the air filter. The air intake is in the middle of the machine and with dusty trails or added accessories like rear panels (which I believe is a must have if a windshield is added), it gets pretty dirty pretty fast. I have a spare filter and just change it out about every 200 miles. Other then the above stated, you will love your machine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So... I did the deal on a new 2017 700-4 (non-deluxe) today. Bimini top, 1/2 windshield, winch, bedliner, no-cost first service, and delivery to my place.

Any particular issues or quirkiness to look out for in these 700-4's?

Thanks...
Congrats! Have fun and be safe!

Reactions: BWAF
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats!

Only things I routinely do after every ride: Pop out the plastic frame caps to drain water (4 of them) and check air box drain then park slightly uphill for drainage. Honestly, at this point when riding I just leave the fronts in to prevent dredging and let the rears just drain.

Once she gets some miles on her, the door rattle and bed rattle get to you. I added some sticky foam to the doors where there rubber meets jam and sliced and slid some vinyl tubing over the bed catch where it meets the latch (on both sides) to tighten up the fit.

You'll be happy with it, it's an animal and goes places you never thought it would ... it impresses me every time I go out. You won't set any speed records on a flat out run, but you'll get there without a doubt regardless of terrain.

Good luck with it!!!

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Central Arkansas...Just ride and have fun...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!