Question about diff drain plug

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
More than a little redneck, but given that this plugs only function is to check the level why not stick it in with something like jb weld, maybe even silicone. If you measure the amount of fluid you put in with a dollar store measuring cup and nothing is leaking it should be fine

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
More than a little redneck, but given that this plugs only function is to check the level why not stick it in with something like jb weld, maybe even silicone. If you measure the amount of fluid you put in with a dollar store measuring cup and nothing is leaking it should be fine
not redneck....if its just the check plug, jb weld will hold to about 4 Ft\Lbs....good enough

lets not make an engineering project out of this - lol

can always do plan B later...

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It’s the drain plug, not the fill/inspection plug which is 30 mm

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It is check plug 8mm, it takes a 11/32 bit to tap it up to a m10, I added a couple washers to it right now and some rtv, it’s tight but want it fixed where I have no trouble changing fluid

Dug2024

Dug2024

"Super Chicken"
Lifetime Member
May 22, 2019
West Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I think so too , ordered 2 bottles of diff fluid so I could flush it out a little, my only worry is shavings getting in there, but with them being aluminum I can’t see it hurting much
If you will put some wheel bearing grease on your tap you will catch most all the shavings..

Reactions: Stilly1155 and CID
G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Got it done, everything went clean, used grease to keep metal shavings out, then you could spin axle forward and it would push oil out oil with few tiny particles that got threw, looks great, had to take top radius arm loose to drill and tap straight but that was no issue at all, put it on a friends lift to get everything close and at eye level helped a lot, but can easily be fixed like this for about 15 bucks for diff oil and new drain plug,

7BC3430C DE6A 4479 A066 675B4EEEE466 C9069318 C7B0 4208 86EC 753EBE420816

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got it done, everything went clean, used grease to keep metal shavings out, then you could spin axle forward and it would push oil out oil with few tiny particles that got threw, looks great, had to take top radius arm loose to drill and tap straight but that was no issue at all, put it on a friends lift to get everything close and at eye level helped a lot, but can easily be fixed like this for about 15 bucks for diff oil and new drain plug,

View attachment 382552 View attachment 382556
Just to clarify. What was the final solution choice?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 382552 View attachment 382556
outstanding - plus bling, but red woulda added 2HP

Reactions: Dankathy
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
With those pesky drain plugs I just snug them up good, then put a bead of silicone, after removing any oil/film, about half way around the plug and the area it is screwed in to. I have yet to find one loose and no danger of overtightening the plug and messing up the threads.

With the oil filter caps, I just got studs and used blue Lock tight on them in place of the bolts. I used nylon lock nuts with a washer to hold the caps in place. As a little over reach I take a red paint pen and mark the plug like the factory does. In fact I mark a lot of my fasteners like that so only a visual check is all that is needed to insure nothing is loosened up.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!