P1000 QUESTION?

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While riding yesterday my model 18 unit just dies it happened while i was on and off the throttle cranked right back up no issue a few later happened again same thing while going up a hill on and off the throttle dies cranked back up no issues again both times it happened i don’t recall what code or lights on other than the oil light ( oil level is good btw )could this be a fuel injector wire issue
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sounds kinda like it.
You can test it by pulling on the injector wires.
Remove the seat back and center cover. You have access to both injectors here.
Crank it up and pull on the wires to see if it messes up.
Do both front and back injectors.
Commonly it's the rear plug. But we have seen both.
If one is bad. I recomend doing both while in there.

Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel injector wire repair kit. SXS1000

Reactions: 99NTRAIN
Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds kinda like it.
You can test it by pulling on the injector wires.
Remove the seat back and center cover. You have access to both injectors here.
Crank it up and pull on the wires to see if it messes up.
Do both front and back injectors.
Commonly it's the rear plug. But we have seen both.
If one is bad. I recomend doing both while in there.

Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel injector wire repair kit. SXS1000

Ok thank you i will probably go ahead buy couple of them just to b safe definitely a cheap fix if thats it

do u know if that was something that was fixed supposedly on the 18’s i know the 16-17 models had the trouble

Reactions: Isaiah
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok thank you i will probably go ahead buy couple of them just to b safe definitely a cheap fix if thats it

do u know if that was something that was fixed supposedly on the 18’s i know the 16-17 models had the trouble
I dont know and I havent kept track.
I do know some 2019's have had same trouble.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I assume this is something that should be covered under warranty. I had this issue last night. Glad it didn’t happen while climbing. Probably less headache to order the plugs and fix it myself.

Seems this has been a problem for many. No recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DDDonkey

I assume this is something that should be covered under warranty. I had this issue last night. Glad it didn’t happen while climbing. Probably less headache to order the plugs and fix it myself.

Seems this has been a problem for many. No recall?

Are you getting a code? There are videos out there that show the code if you don’t know what to look for, I could pm you a link if you like. If your machine is under warranty I would have the dealer fix it if the they are competent. It is an easy fix with the pigtails if you fix yourself.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah they will fix it under warranty but it calls for replacing entire wiring harness and dealer said they would have my machine for couple of weeks. Also said anything aftermarket they took off wouldn’t go back on. Was easier for me to just change the ends. I didn’t want my machine torn apart just for that.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I didn’t know to look for the code. I’m gonna try to get in there and wiggle the ends around this evening while it is idling. Any advice on the least invasive method of accessing the electrical connections on the injectors?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I didn’t know to look for the code. I’m gonna try to get in there and wiggle the ends around this evening while it is idling. Any advice on the least invasive method of accessing the electrical connections on the injectors?

Check out @DDDonkey’s vid on post #3 in the linked thread below.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

That video will be a great help.

Remove the seat back and mid cover for best access.
Start it and let it idle. Then wiggle the wires 1 at a time. Any changes in idle then that's the problem. Mostlikley the rear plug.

advertisement
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Awesome resource and video. I'll try to get on that tonight. Are the new plugs different than the factory, or attached to the wires better? Is this a factory defect that is permanently solved by the new plug? Whats different between the two?

Thanks again for the guidance. I was pretty sick last night. Still not real happy. I've owned Honda's for years. NEVER had an issue like this.

@Hondasxs, I'll message you or order thru the store. Also, do you make switch panels for the LE?

Reactions: TripleB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Awesome resource and video. I'll try to get on that tonight. Are the new plugs different than the factory, or attached to the wires better? Is this a factory defect that is permanently solved by the new plug? Whats different between the two?

Thanks again for the guidance. I was pretty sick last night. Still not real happy. I've owned Honda's for years. NEVER had an issue like this.

@Hondasxs, I'll message you or order thru the store. Also, do you make switch panels for the LE?
Wires are large gauge using automotive TXL wire with shrink tube and looming. Same connector style and everything.
This is not an "official Honda" fix. Honda's fix is a complete wire harness replacement with the same thing you have now. Just not broken. There has not been anything suggesting the harness has been improved. So take your chances with that and a months downtime waiting for it to be fixed. lol.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Ok, so I took out the 3,549 plastic rivets to take the heat shield off and removed the seat back. I started the engine. Ran fine. I wiggled the wiring going to both injectors. No change. Continued to run fine. I did this for about a minute.

Then I turned it off. Unplugged both injectors to see if I could look inside the connector and see if a wire was disconnected. Couldn't see a thing. Plugged them back in and cranked it. Now it won't start back. Just cranks and cranks. My check engine light flashes one long flash and three quicker flashes. I assume this is the '13' code and I have lack of voltage to the rear injector?

Not sure why it didn't quit when I wiggle the wires, but won't start back after I unplugged them and plugged them back in.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 70Bones
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh boy.. lol.

1 - You pulled the plugs and NOT the wires when removing them? If you pulled the wires you could have pulled a wire apart.
2 - Possibility, tho I haven't seen anyone say this, is you bent a pin on the injector. If so, it should not "click" back together.
3 - Removing them was just want it needed to pull the wires apart enough to no longer make a connection at the broke location.

Reactions: 70Bones and TripleB
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, pulled the connectors. They both 'clicked' when reinstalled.

I cannot see any visible wire separation/breakage? From what I've seen, the wire generally breaks in the connector, right? Maybe the wire isn't making connection to the pins in the connector? I dunno. Little disheartening. I haven't even made a payment on this joker yet, lol!

The humor in this is that the machine had 66.6 hours when this happened... I'm not real superstitious, but? Hmm?

Recon there is a connectivity issue between the wire and pin inside the plug?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Well, I unplugged and measured for voltage at the wiring harness end of the plug. The result was zero. Measured again about a half an inch back from the plug and have 12.29 with the key on. Guess I'll be ordering a pigtail. Disappointed in you HONDA.... I bet they give a sh*t, lol.

Thank you all for the quick help. Saved me a bunch of headache and aggravation. This forum is amazing.

Reactions: TripleB and Adam490
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Most of the breaks are non-visible. But with a decent tug, the wire will pull apart right at the head of the connector.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Took the harness end of the connector apart. Wire was broke inside when I pulled the ends out. I skinned the red wire back and used a pick to open the microscopic metal part inside the connector. Placed the wire inside and crimped. Reassembled, taped, and plugged back in. No codes and fired right up.

I'll still be ordering a pigtail. These angel hair wires are a joke.

I really appreciate the help and resources. Y'all are the shiznit! Saved me a ton of headache and pissedoffedness!

Plus, I need this thing right now to chase Turkeys. Woulda done me no good at the dealership for two months.

Truly, Thanks!

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Just took a spirited run across the hill and back.... About 10 miles of floggin it across a gravel road, up one side and down the other. Idling in the driveway as we speak. Thanks again!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!