Questions About non-Ohioans Riding in Ohio

N

Nvrgiveup

What's required to ride the public trails in Ohio? I've been told the machine must be registered, but I live in a non-registering state (KY).
Are those trails in SE Ohio worth a 3-4 hour trip from Central Kentucky to ride? Thanks in advance!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I live in Ohio and go to KY and TN to ride. Wayne national and Tecumseh are the only option I really know of. I have rode Tecumseh and it is small. Probably won’t ever go back. There are some others that have rode Wayne and hopefully will comment @lee. I kind of doubt it’s worth the drive.
I don’t know anything about requirements since we go out of state all the time. Ohio is not very UTV friendly.

N

Nvrgiveup

I live in Ohio and go to KY and TN to ride. Wayne national and Tecumseh are the only option I really know of. I have rode Tecumseh and it is small. Probably won’t ever go back. There are some others that have rode Wayne and hopefully will comment @lee. I kind of doubt it’s worth the drive.
I don’t know anything about requirements since we go out of state all the time. Ohio is not very UTV friendly.
Thankya, sir. I was a trooper in Ohio for 26 years and they always used to hound us about wearing out the folks riding on the road. For some reason, I was always keying the mic and saying "Unable to locate!" 🤣

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
As I understand the Ohio rules you must have the Ohio ORV registration to ride on state or federal land.
Actually National Forests are required to mirror the state rules.

It’s not worth it for the ride areas in Ohio if you are from out of state.

Some states like Colorado, Tennessee and Utah have a pay a fee - get a sticker mentality (for off road).
Much more friendly way of doing things.
And I am happy to spend my money there.

N

Nvrgiveup

As I understand the Ohio rules you must have the Ohio ORV registration to ride on state or federal land.
Actually National Forests are required to mirror the state rules.

It’s not worth it for the ride areas in Ohio if you are from out of state.

Some states like Colorado, Tennessee and Utah have a pay a fee - get a sticker mentality (for off road).
Much more friendly way of doing things.
And I am happy to spend my money there.
Agreed. We travel 4 hours to Hatfield McCoy 3-4 times a year and absolutely love it over there!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I did a quick search and I stand corrected, the rules have changed in the last few years.

To ride at Wayne you need to have your vehicle registered by the state and you need a permit for the rider.
I'm only digging in to the vehicle registration requirements.
From the Wayne National Forest website:

This looked suspect to me based on my previous research so I looked up the Ohio BMV rules.

Back in the day, Ohio had language about 'approved' states for reciprocity.
But when you looked up the approved states there where none.

Note: Wayne NF is still 50" restricted.
There are some (4 to be exact) state ride areas but the width restrictions vary on those.
However all 4 are postage stamps and not worth riding unless you are meeting friends there to drink, I mean ride.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I emailed the State of Ohio ask them when they were going to allow wider machines and they said the had no plans to do so. So, forget, Ohio doesn't want your money I guess. By the way, I live in Ohio.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I emailed the State of Ohio ask them when they were going to allow wider machines and they said the had no plans to do so. So, forget, Ohio doesn't want your money I guess. By the way, I live in Ohio.
The Ironton section of Wayne is going to get changed to 64”. They have started some trail widening. The Perry and nelsonville area is going to stay 50”. I live between them all and there was a big debate about it with the communities and congressmen

Reactions: Squeegee and Scoop
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Ironton section of Wayne is going to get changed to 64”. They have started some trail widening. The Perry and nelsonville area is going to stay 50”. I live between them all and there was a big debate about it with the communities and congressmen
When did this happen? I emailed them about 5 months back and they didn't mention any plans. Where can I locate information on the subject? I'm about less than a hour from Ironton Ohio, I'd love to try some new trails.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Awesome. My sister lives in Ironton, guess I’ll have to take machine when I visit.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When did this happen? I emailed them about 5 months back and they didn't mention any plans. Where can I locate information on the subject? I'm about less than a hour from Ironton Ohio, I'd love to try some new trails.
In the spring. It’s not officially open to that yet. Where its National Forest crap has to be done on a federal level. But there are places where the have “overpasses” ready to be connected across some of the small 2 lane state routes. People obviously ride it with bigger machines illegally already but there os definitely risk associated with that especially since last month people left the trails and wandered off onto a golf course and tore things up.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also when they open this it will be nice. I believe close to 50 miles of trails but it will not replace HMT or TN. There are not enough trails.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just looked at something. Why are they cutting so close at 64"? I have hard doors and fender flares, that puts me over 64". Surely they give you some leadway.
I’m assuming because that’s what Perry, Pike, and Richland riding areas already are. Though my friend did take his KRX on those so you can sneak a little wider through the gates.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!