DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Never got an owner's manual and search didn't turn it up. What's the minimum octane required for the 500?

Pretty sure I was getting some ping yesterday.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Calls for Regular 86 or higher.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DG Rider
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree the manual permits the 86, but would recommend getting non-ethanol, high grade and for good measure keep some SeaFoam or similar in the fuel. Also, I would keep the tank full at all times.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'll just add, theres absolutely no benefit of running premium fuel.....89 or 91 octane.....

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'll just add, theres absolutely no benefit of running premium fuel.....89 or 91 octane.....
Just to ensure the comment (assuming you're comment was directed at my post) was directed towards Ethanol fuels overall and not specifically to the blends. Where I live, getting "non-ethanol" fuel is a challenge and I know ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air.

D

Deleted member 3748

Just to ensure the comment (assuming you're comment was directed at my post) was directed towards Ethanol fuels overall and not specifically to the blends. Where I live, getting "non-ethanol" fuel is a challenge and I know ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air.
Higher octane isn't a performance boost. Higher octane just keeps fuel from combusting under pressure. If you're running 87 octane in a high compression engine, the fuel will ignite from the compression, before the spark plug fires, and cause spark knock. Higher octane is more resistant to combusting under pressure. This doesn't mean higher octane fuels don't have other additives which do increase performance, but it is not the octane rating.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
...unless you have a little pinging. Then higher octane is beneficial.

Might have been an exhaust heat shield or something else. I've done the "chase the heat shield noise" on the 700. It's easier to throw in some higher grade and see if it goes away.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Usually the only ethanol free we can get in this area is the premium 91 octane. And we all know how bad ethanol sucks. Then they try telling us how great of quality this new fuel is when it goes stale in a month and causes all kinds of issues with any fuel system components.
I get to work on the results of this so called high quality gas everyday at work. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Actually didn't see your post, I think we were typing at the same time. I was merely stating that there isn't a benefit of running higher octane fuel than what is required by the engine based on compression & timing. Ethanol is another matter, corn should be used for food and wood should be used for building things or heating homes! I try to avoid it if possible.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Still getting some ping on 91. Will try some different gas...but I'm betting the owners manual has some verbage about light pinging under load being normal?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Still getting some ping on 91. Will try some different gas...but I'm betting the owners manual has some verbage about light pinging under load being normal?
Is it a ping or do you need to adjust the valves?

Reactions: DG Rider and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is it a ping or do you need to adjust the valves?
I wondered this as well, the P5 is such a noisey little fkr I'm not sure you could hear spark knock

Reactions: DG Rider
P

PBishop

Jun 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I was told, from the dealer, that the higher grade fuel is recommend and will last longer which will prevent your fuel system from gumming up if it sits for a while.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I was told, from the dealer, that the higher grade fuel is recommend and will last longer which will prevent your fuel system from gumming up if it sits for a while.
This is true to a point depending on where you live, most 87-89 octane fuels in the mid-west have 10% ethanol which can absorb water if it sits for an extended period. This flip side of that is in colder climates higher octane fuels can cause hard starting because the flash point of the fuel is higher.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody riding high elevations never needs high octane gas, anyone going to Taylor Park in September may want to keep this inmind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!