P500 radiator relocate

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
has anyone relocated their radiator? I ride trails along river bottoms close to where I live and sometimes there are deep holes that are full of mud and water. I have had a couple of issues with the temp light coming on under full power after running a little ways. if I slow down and clean out the radiator it stops. I have a winch mounted on the front so a shield wont work. I was thinking of mounting it on the back of the roll cage. any ideas or suggestions?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
has anyone relocated their radiator? I ride trails along river bottoms close to where I live and sometimes there are deep holes that are full of mud and water. I have had a couple of issues with the temp light coming on under full power after running a little ways. if I slow down and clean out the radiator it stops. I have a winch mounted on the front so a shield wont work. I was thinking of mounting it on the back of the roll cage. any ideas or suggestions?
Wow!!! That's the wildest mod I've heard of. I know that I haven't a clue, but good luck with that one.

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow!!! That's the wildest mod I've heard of. I know that I haven't a clue, but good luck with that one.
most of the guys I ride with have done something like this but I am the only pioneer out there. the 4 wheelers have radiator relocated up top and snorkels. one guy has a Yamaha rhino with his radiator mounted on the back of the cage. I was curious if the water pump on the Honda would push coolant up there or if anyone had done this and the issues they had.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
most of the guys I ride with have done something like this but I am the only pioneer out there. the 4 wheelers have radiator relocated up top and snorkels. one guy has a Yamaha rhino with his radiator mounted on the back of the cage. I was curious if the water pump on the Honda would push coolant up there or if anyone had done this and the issues they had.
Interesting. I've never seen nor heard of it. I hope somebody comes along with helpful information for you illinois, and again, good luck with that.

K

KDRegan

Feb 7, 2016
Kinston Alabama
I am waiting on my husband to do mine on my 700-4... He got one off eBay that came off a maverick that he will have to mod to make fit correctly. As soon as I can get him working on it I will post pics.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
http://hondasxs.com/media/img_20160302_215752075.2187/full still trying to get a pic uploaded this is before I put the rear rack back on. it shows the radiator and snorkel mount.

Are you planning to have full cab?
I would probably locate it a bit lower and come up with a box cover and use it as alternative to a heater. I will be a bit noisy , when fan kicks in.

Or may even put it on the roof , this will help to reduce the fan noise.

When I was installing heater, I've had a leak and the pressure created by water pump was very strong, so should not have a problem with mounting on the roof.

Even going further, install vent into roof, radiator on top and enclose it with vented box enclosure , and you will get, heater from radiator on demand and noise isolation.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like this

1458059714110 1729491091

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't plan on a full cab. I ride a lot in 50 degree or warmer weather. I put it even with the top of the seat back.also I didn't want the rollcage to touch the corners of the radiator. The cap is just behind the hard top to allow me to fill the coolant. I am planning on adding an aftermarket recovery tank. The fan is on the back to pull heat away from the cab. The front has an expanded metal guard to protect it, I used the existing tabs on bottom and sides to mount the guard.
IMG 20160222 165921251

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I plan to add a small waterproof box below the radiator with a small air compressor.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Got it now....my bad
sounds like you need a swamp buggy

VWmonsterbus1339538327

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
....... BOAT.....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
..... I would of found another way...left radiator
where it was...
screened nose cone....that's
Removable. ...radiator are ugly
looks better under hood.....

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
that seems to be what I have now is a small swamp buggy lol. the mud is soupy it is liquid but has a viscosity similar to drillers mud, when it dries it crumbles into a fine powder that seems to get on and in everything. I don't notice much noise from the fan it blows the hot air back away from the cab. I get more noise from the intake of the snorkel being close to my head. I have notice a small increase in throttle response with the snorkel. next on the list is a power programmer and a pipe if they ever make one. I have been in water up over the dash, drove down washouts in fields, drive in creeks. this thing climbs through just about anything that the big 4 wheelers do I am very impressed with it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!