BOX1

P500 Radiator Fan not Engaging

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I switched the fuse with the spare and the fan still did not come on when I turned the key. I thought it normally comes on with ignition, or does it only engage when the engine is hot?
As others have said, it only comes on when the temp trips the control switch. I don't know where the control switch is on the 500, for the 1000-5 it is under the drivers seat. If you run a wire from the hot side of the switch and another from the wire that goes to the fan you can connect a simple toggle on/off switch to those 2 wires which will allow you to turn the fan on with the switch. I am also putting a digital temp gauge in mine so that I'll always know what the water temp is.

Old Gasser

Reactions: 100Acre
O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Googled temperature sensor and an Air Temp Sensor showed up. Learn something every day. P500 - Intake temperature sensor. Also found a related sensor reset thread. P1000 - Fan relay

View attachment 82718
I recommend you bite the bullet and pop for a model specific service manual. Mine is only for the P 1000 so I can't look at a wiring diagram to see how the fan is actuated. It could be a solid state controller like the P 1000 or it could be a screw in thermostat the closes the ground circuit when the temp gets high enough. Only the wiring diagram will tell you that.
Old Gasser

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recommend you bite the bullet and pop for a model specific service manual. Mine is only for the P 1000 so I can't look at a wiring diagram to see how the fan is actuated. It could be a solid state controller like the P 1000 or it could be a screw in thermostat the closes the ground circuit when the temp gets high enough. Only the wiring diagram will tell you that.
Old Gasser
Here is a link to a factory manual for $55. I think this is where I got my P 1000 manual and it is the factory manual.
2018 Honda Pioneer 500 / SXS500M2 side X side Part# 61HL503 service shop repair manual

Old Gasser

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: Mudder
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered a service manual from Helm the other day. Still waiting.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I unplugged the fan and ran a couple of speaker wires from the battery to the plug male prongs. It didn't come on. next I'll let it run a while to warm up then I'm wondering if the wires I'm using are too thin or I don't have a good connection...?It's a hard space to work in with all the other wires and accessories in the way and my big hands..

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just letting it run for a while to heat up. I hope I got my wires correct. Also not sure if they're too large of a gauge of wire?
I still haven't received my service manual from Helm yet....
55510901327  32567247 8D1C 43D0 A43D F556C208FBBE
55510902341  2142613C F981 475C A1CD 0AE2598AD4A1
55510911286  9722AF60 895C 43CB B5E3 A6F68097566D

Reactions: trigger
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's plenty hot and with the wires on the correct points, the fan still will not engage. So, I'm assuming its either bad wiring or a bad fan. I wonder if thats still covered under warranty?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
You likely know this, so no offense meant. If fan jumpered and not working, likely fan. A try to test non fan demand circuits, ..Put a volt meter or 12v lighted circuit tester on the fan power plug contacts , see if it gets voltage when engine monitor temp bars verify high operating temp of coolant. (Can’t get mine above two bars sitting still, no fan demand voltage needed, so cannot verify for you). Hope its not PCM, lead C3 of 5 leads. If have testor, also check 12v to ground on both sides of 15 amp FAN fuse, using small fuse test points on visible top while installed. Gremlins or fan motor, neither is good. Good luck.

A9C9F210 1AB7 4861 B169 12FA565188F8

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You likely know this, so no offense meant. If fan jumpered and not working, likely fan. A try to test non fan demand circuits, ..Put a volt meter or 12v lighted circuit tester on the fan power plug contacts , see if it gets voltage when engine monitor temp bars verify high operating temp of coolant. (Can’t get mine above two bars sitting still, no fan demand voltage needed, so cannot verify for you). Hope its not PCM, lead C3 of 5 leads. If have testor, also check 12v to ground on both sides of 15 amp FAN fuse, using small fuse test points on visible top while installed. Gremlins or fan motor, neither is good. Good luck.

View attachment 82920
I'm certainly no mechanic and I'm slowly learning but all of what you said is still Chinese to me. I typically learn by doing although it's all a little intimidating at 1st.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Understand. Just a tip to test fuses while installed if you get a voltmenter, (Harbour Freight freebies will work). Red hot lead on small metal dot. black lead to ground, set testor to DC volts, if 12v on both metal dots, then fuse is good. Sometimes easier than pulling fuses in small spaces.

Maybe someone will know how many temperature bars on dash display will result in a voltage supply to fan motor. When you have that many bars showing, test red wire on fan supply plug for 12v, when the tester black lead is on a firm grounding. That should troubleshoot electronics circuit that sends power to fan on demand.
4B07EC7C A9B6 4B10 B4E4 544395168D80

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So I unplugged the fan and ran a couple of speaker wires from the battery to the plug male prongs. It didn't come on. next I'll let it run a while to warm up then I'm wondering if the wires I'm using are too thin or I don't have a good connection...?It's a hard space to work in with all the other wires and accessories in the way and my big hands..
OK so let me get this straight you found the plug coming from the fan closest to the fan and unplugged it and ran wires from the battery to that plug and the fan never ran ? if so the fan is not working.
The same test could be done simply by just unplugging the fan and using a jump box or even a 12 volt automotive charger and some wire rather than going to that PITA battery box.
I assume the fan can be spun by hand easily with little to no resistance.

Are you in a hot climate and did the fan run a lot normally before this ??? maybe it is just worn out.
even if the fan is broken it should still be getting a signal and power to come on when the temp limit is hit.
I'd hook my volt meter to the vehicle side of the fan plug and run the machine until it gets warm and see if I'm getting 12 volts switched on if not you'll have to go back further to find the problem, control, temp sensor, maybe wiring.

At some point that wire will have to have 12 volts switched on to run the fan and you want to make sure that is working as well, if it does get 12 volts then get a new fan.A bad thermostat will cause it to overheat but the fan should still come on if it is working.

my fan ran after a short run around the yard doing some work with only two squares on the temp gauge and temp outside was around 77F at the time.

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Caution about running heavy wire directly off battery, especially when those plug connections are so close to each other, a touch to ground could give a lesson in welding. Better to test off a fused supply in future. Just trying to keep Bayleafs P500 safe. LOL.

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Caution about running heavy wire directly off battery, especially when those plug connections are so close to each other, a touch to ground could give a lesson in welding. Better to test off a fused supply in future. Just trying to keep Bayleafs P500 safe. LOL.
Very good tip, I watched someone almost catch their boat on fire trying to see if it was wiring or the horn. they ran a heavy single strand wire like that from battery in back to dash and they dropped it and hit a grounding strip. It arced like crazy ruining the grounding strip and the wire got so hot it melted all the insulation and nearly caught some plastic it was touching on fire. In his moment of panic he grabbed the wire and burnt his thumb and index finger.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very good tip, I watched someone almost catch their boat on fire trying to see if it was wiring or the horn. they ran a heavy single strand wire like that from battery in back to dash and they dropped it and hit a grounding strip. It arced like crazy ruining the grounding strip and the wire got so hot it melted all the insulation and nearly caught some plastic it was touching on fire. In his moment of panic he grabbed the wire and burnt his thumb and index finger.
The lord was watching over me.

Reactions: russknight
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!