P500 Paddle Shifters Not Working

B

BigRedMac

Aug 15, 2020
Vermilion, OH
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all, just joined the club...I just changed my starter motor in my 2015 Honda SXS500 a few days ago--it starts, but now the paddles shifters don't work. I checked the battery...charged it; checked the fuses; tried to make sure all connections are tight, but still no joy. I have driven it around in 3rd gear trying to see if that would get the shifting going again, but no. Also had the battery off for 1/2 hour or longer & still no difference. Any advise you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Maybe try using the manual shift tool to put it into neutral and see what it does .

B

BigRedMac

Aug 15, 2020
Vermilion, OH
Ownership

1. 500
Yes...I've manually shifted 3-4 times, backing out of garage, running around yard, still not shifting. Any other ideas?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Yes...I've manually shifted 3-4 times, backing out of garage, running around yard, still not shifting. Any other ideas?
No . That was what I would have tried besides what you have already done . Good luck . Post it when you find it .

B

BigRedMac

Aug 15, 2020
Vermilion, OH
Ownership

1. 500
Normally you have to hold the brake down to start...so yes I do & it starts fine. The Honda dealer insisted it was the battery, but when they checked it 2x it read at full strength. Could it still be the problem?

M

moosewhisperer

Jul 12, 2015
i have the same problem i think it' the computer.ic an shift manualy bit not w ith the paddles.

Y

Yellowgwtrike

Mar 11, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
i have the same problem i think it' the computer.ic an shift manualy bit not w ith the paddles.
I had the exact same problem on my P520 and P500. I figured it out. I had installed a winch on both units. The factory single battery in not enough power to run the electrical system, I installed a second battery, and fyse nlock . This solved the issue. Everything works great now.

Y

Yellowgwtrike

Mar 11, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
On my P500 the dash or instrument panel kept blinking and wouldn't start until I disconnected the positive cable at the battery for a few minutes then it would work for a short while.

M

moosewhisperer

Jul 12, 2015
can it be the computer at fault causing it to not shift?

M

moosewhisperer

Jul 12, 2015
what does it mean when the n on the dash blinks 3 times?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
what does it mean when the n on the dash blinks 3 times?
It has two blink modes for diagnostic codes, long blinks = 10, short blink = 1. Is there a combination of blinks to provide a ##-# or #-#? I would have the battery load tested, they can read good voltage but lack the needed amps. Low battery and clutch adjustment are first two troubleshooting checks. Checking the main 40 A fuse and 15 amp IGJ/IGN fuse is the third step.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
A search also came up with a @Bastardchild post about the micro switches for the paddles. If none of the above helps, just sharing info.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Also check throttle cable and idle. Saw a case where a cable issue was causing high idle preventing a shift. Don’t know if you are the same guy.

Reactions: rustyneversleeps

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!