Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When I get a new machine including my Pioneer 1000-5 I always bring some extra fuel and run the machine until it is completely out and stalls so I know better what actual range I have on my machine vs what the fuel gauge says. I have noticed that the gauge is very cautious and goes to empty with many miles remaining once the indicator warns me. I average about 160 miles per tank. Yes the mpg's vary by type of terrain, and how much 4x4 and 4x4 diff lock is used but its a general idea that I seek out.

I have never had an issue once I add fuel after stalling it because it is out of fuel so I am curious what really went wrong on this case.
Not even sure how old the OPs machine is, but running a brand new bike out of fuel to determine range is significantly different than running and older machine out of fuel. The latter has had years to accumulate water and other nasties in the tank. That's stuff you don't worry about with a new bike, so I would not expect any issues after doing what you did (other than you should never run a fuel pump dry, as the fuel actually acts as a lubricant).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not even sure how old the OPs machine is, but running a brand new bike out of fuel to determine range is significantly different than running and older machine out of fuel. The latter has had years to accumulate water and other nasties in the tank. That's stuff you don't worry about with a new bike, so I would not expect any issues after doing what you did (other than you should never run a fuel pump dry, as the fuel actually acts as a lubricant).
Not sure about a Pioneer but the Talon's fuel pickup is fixed, it always picks up from the tank's lowest point, a small depression in the bottom of the tank.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not sure about a Pioneer but the Talon's fuel pickup is fixed, it always picks up from the tank's lowest point, a small depression in the bottom of the tank.
View attachment 308015
That's odd. So it sucks up all the water and debris that has settled to the bottom of the tank even when the tank is full? In every automotive application I've seen, the fuel pickup is *above* the bottom of the tank (to avoid doing just this).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's odd. So it sucks up all the water and debris that has settled to the bottom of the tank even when the tank is full? In every automotive application I've seen, the fuel pickup is *above* the bottom of the tank (to avoid doing just this).
I thought the same until I realized the Talon pumps are fastened to the 'lid' of the tank and don't move. Again, I don't know how the Pioneers are mounted but I suspect the same. A swinging pickup arm on an off road vehicle would be a high wear point I think.

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
A swinging pickup arm on an off road vehicle would be a high wear point I think.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've never seen a swinging pickup arm in any vehicle fuel tank

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!