P1000 Rattles be gone..

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
We finally took Whiskey out for the inaugural trail run. No trailering was required - we just loaded Whiskey with a cooler, Quad the dog, and headed out. The weather was great and the trail was a bit rocky. After a few miles in Bulldog Canyon, I noticed a few metal-on-metal rattles coming from Whiskey's bed and rear door latches. I tried adjusting the rattles out of the latches with a 10mm closed-end wrench, but still they were too much. I really like a quite ride. After arriving back home 30 some miles and a few hours later, I got to the task of working out the latch rattles. I've included a few pictures of the remedy that I stole from fixing a rattling door latch on our Ford super-duty few years ago. It was just a matter of a few layers of black electrical tape, and a couple rubber bushings I was saving from a previous project.

Reactions: Stixato and Kasi
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Out in Bulldog Canyon...

Reactions: Tot and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Rear door latch rattle fix...

View attachment 8567
Very nice views thanks for the rattle solution. Do you happed to have a source for those rubber bushings in the bottom picture by the latch loop. I was out this AM and noticed the exact same rattling, my scenery was much more mundane though. But I did top her out at 66mph for the first time and noticed it cruises at 55 like a champ.

pgiannetto65

pgiannetto65

Dec 19, 2015
Nice pics and thx for info

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Very nice views thanks for the rattle solution. Do you happed to have a source for those rubber bushings in the bottom picture by the latch loop. I was out this AM and noticed the exact same rattling, my scenery was much more mundane though. But I did top her out at 66mph for the first time and noticed it cruises at 55 like a champ.
I'm trying to remember where those bushings came from, but no luck yet. It was a few years ago that I acquired them. They are thin enough to stretch around the latch and stay in place. I'll post the source as soon as I recall.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Thanks! I was wondering what the top speed was! I only hit 48 mph on the trip at just over 5k rpm. I like running through her 6 gears in manual mode.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Looks like you have some great scenery where you ride,I'm jealous. I thought It was a piece of bicycle inner tube on the bed latch when I first saw it.

advertisement
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Looks like you have some great scenery where you ride,I'm jealous. I thought It was a piece of bicycle inner tube on the bed latch when I first saw it.
That would probably work as well. Anything rubbery to keep metal from metal at the latch.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
I had the same rattle. I just asjusted the 2 bed latches and made it tighter. Rattle gone
I tried that on the trail, and could never get it completely gone from the passenger side. I recon you're probably better at the fine adjustment, than this AZ amateur..:=).

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I tried that on the trail, and could never get it completely gone from the passenger side. I recon you're probably better at the fine adjustment, than this AZ amateur..:=).
I fixed it on the first day. Weird rattles drive me crazy. Bed doesnt exactly close back smoothly but when i slam it... Its shut and locked. No rattle

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Also to me. The doors need to be shimed on both side of the hinge like with maybe some washers to support them better and get rid of the wiggle

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Also to me. The doors need to be shimed on both side of the hinge like with maybe some washers to support them better and get rid of the wiggle
Wiggle. Yes, they do that a bit, but so far I don't hear it much (I don't think anyway). I'll have to look at the hinges closer tomorrow and see if there might be enough space for a little shimin' like you mention. The tighter the better..

Reactions: Scooterchris
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode mine for the first time today also and noticed the bed rattles a lot. I've got to fix it.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
When I got mine home last night the first thing I did was adjust the bed latches and door stoppers.
I was very disappointed when adjusting the bed latch. I found there was more noise coming from the bed sides because one of the mounting nuts were stripped, and the sides were not tight. They had about 3/4 " of vertical travel. I was able to put a bushing on the upper screw to eliminate the up down travel and noise. I will have to put a nut on behind the stripped one to get it tight.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
When I got mine home last night the first thing I did was adjust the bed latches and door stoppers.
I was very disappointed when adjusting the bed latch. I found there was more noise coming from the bed sides because one of the mounting nuts were stripped, and the sides were not tight. They had about 3/4 " of vertical travel. I was able to put a bushing on the upper screw to eliminate the up down travel and noise. I will have to put a nut on behind the stripped one to get it tight.

View attachment 8601
Can you post a picture of this nut your talking about please

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Can you post a picture of this nut your talking about please
Here are a few pics of what I was talking about.

First, the bolt in the center of the pic is the one that had stripped out.
This next pic is how it looked from the backside before repair. This nut was stripped out.
The pic is actually of the other side of the bed, but same idea.

This pic shows the addition of a nut and lock washer on the end of the bolt. There is just enough to sticking out to work with. Worked great to get nice and tight.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!