P1000 Rattles be gone..

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We finally took Whiskey out for the inaugural trail run. No trailering was required - we just loaded Whiskey with a cooler, Quad the dog, and headed out. The weather was great and the trail was a bit rocky. After a few miles in Bulldog Canyon, I noticed a few metal-on-metal rattles coming from Whiskey's bed and rear door latches. I tried adjusting the rattles out of the latches with a 10mm closed-end wrench, but still they were too much. I really like a quite ride. After arriving back home 30 some miles and a few hours later, I got to the task of working out the latch rattles. I've included a few pictures of the remedy that I stole from fixing a rattling door latch on our Ford super-duty few years ago. It was just a matter of a few layers of black electrical tape, and a couple rubber bushings I was saving from a previous project.
Nice pics, i been there many times with my RZR not with the new honda yet most of my riding has been in the peralta and superior az area so far looking forward to seeing you on the trails soon.

Reactions: peezul
C

Catdoz1

Feb 8, 2017
Orlando
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used heat shrink on the bed latches and door hinges. Worked great.

C

Catdoz1

Feb 8, 2017
Orlando
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cut a piece of heat shrink for the door latches and adjusted the bump stop put. I used 1" heat shrink double up for the bed latches.

IMG 7575 IMG 7576 IMG 7577

Reactions: JACKAL
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the bed latches I just adjusted both sides and the doors don't rattle if you close it fully. On mine if you barely close it it feels like it is latched but if you close it firmly there is no rattle at all. When some one gets in on the passenger side I know if the door is closed right within the first 10' of moving.

Reactions: TheHoover
D

Dasmoeturhead

After reading this I spent approximately 2 minutes wrapping the latches with electricians tape, and the rattles are gone. Will it last forever? No it wont, but the tape is cheap and easy to do. Thanks to the OP for posting this. It made me address this irritating problem. Wow! What a pleasant quiet ride. :)>

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
After reading this I spent approximately 2 minutes wrapping the latches with electricians tape, and the rattles are gone. Will it last forever? No it wont, but the tape is cheap and easy to do. Thanks to the OP for posting this. It made me address this irritating problem. Wow! What a pleasant quiet ride. :)>
Have to wonder why Honda is overlooking such a inexpensive and trivial detail such as this. Nobody likes a rattling ride that sounds like it's falling apart.

Reactions: russknight
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My passenger side bed hinge rattled terribly at idle. I removed the hinge bolt and added a washer. That fixed it.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Adjusted my U bars, just need a slight push on the release lever to have the catch fully engage. Crazy rattles all gone.

advertisement
J

JaceF8

Dec 8, 2020
North FL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also to me. The doors need to be shimed on both side of the hinge like with maybe some washers to support them better and get rid of the wiggle
Can you show a picture of what you mean by this? I'm chasing rattles right now.

J

JaceF8

Dec 8, 2020
North FL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For the bed latches I just adjusted both sides and the doors don't rattle if you close it fully. On mine if you barely close it it feels like it is latched but if you close it firmly there is no rattle at all. When some one gets in on the passenger side I know if the door is closed right within the first 10' of moving.
You adjusted the bed latches or the rear door latches? Either way what did you adjust? I don't see any adjustment other than the rubber stopper.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!