Re-gearing the Talon

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm in the process of deciding which tire i'm going to order for my Talon, i'm going to do a 30x10x15, however I do not want to lose power, the Talon doesn't really have enough as it is. With a Jeep I had years ago, I put 37's on it, and regeared it to 4.56's, and that solved my power issue, and got RPM's back to stock +/- 200rpm on the highway. Is it possible to do something similar on the Talon?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm in the process of deciding which tire i'm going to order for my Talon, i'm going to do a 30x10x15, however I do not want to lose power, the Talon doesn't really have enough as it is. With a Jeep I had years ago, I put 37's on it, and regeared it to 4.56's, and that solved my power issue, and got RPM's back to stock +/- 200rpm on the highway. Is it possible to do something similar on the Talon?
Not without spending a ton of money on portals or the unobtanium IGR thingy. Nobody makes aftermarket ring and pinions for these things like they do for automotive apps.

This is the only drawback of the Honda trans vs belt. With a belt car you can just change the weights and springs to get where you need to be with larger tires. Not so much on the talon...

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah I kinda figured. Portals won't survive what I do (nor do I want the lift in any way) and the IGR thing seems way over complicated. Was just hoping for a different ring and pinion.

Reactions: JenElio
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not without spending a ton of money on portals or the unobtanium IGR thingy. Nobody makes aftermarket ring and pinions for these things like they do for automotive apps.

This is the only drawback of the Honda trans vs belt. With a belt car you can just change the weights and springs to get where you need to be with larger tires. Not so much on the talon...
I wonder WHY some knowledgeable person/business has not made replacement ring/pinions. Seems there would be a good market for them?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
and the IGR thing seems way over complicated
No, you drop it off, they put it in, you pick it up and go ride and you’ve got a good 30% reduction and the climbing gearing that you need….👍😎

Reactions: TripleB and JenElio
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
No, you drop it off, they put it in, you pick it up and go ride and you’ve got a good 30% reduction and the climbing gearing that you need….👍😎

Anyone smart enough to calculate stock machine, stock tires, and IGR and 30's and see how they compare?

Reactions: JenElio
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone smart enough to calculate stock machine, stock tires, and IGR and 30's and see how they compare?
Reduction Boss may be the ones….🤔

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish someone made ring and pinions for the pioneers and talons. I wouldn't mind it if they were loud even. I think rings and pinions would be easy

Reactions: McCarthy
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd like those numbers for 32's too. If I'm going to the expense of IGR, I'd just as soon step up to 32's since I'm satisfied with the way mine runs on 30's now.

In other words: what IGR ratio would I need to end up with stock gearing (on 28's) with 32's.

The IGR would have to be low range only, I don't want to lower high range.

Reactions: IDIOT and McCarthy
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think the reason no one makes ring and pinions is simply a matter of cost vs sales.

Cars/trucks generally have axles provided by a supplier, and such axle is generally designed to accommodate a wide range of gearing choices for different manufacturers needs. An example would be a DANA 44, which has been available with gearing all the way from 3: something to well into the 5's with old jeeps. Maybe even further in each direction.
The carrier handles the breaks (changes in thickness needed for different gearing set ups), but the housing stays the same.

Now take something like my 700 and most any atv diff I've seen, and the internals have very little room to grow. In short, you'd probably need a whole new diff housing and all the money involved in making it to make significant changes, while still fitting it into the existing space.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
30" tires will turn about 7% slower than 28's
32" tires will turn about 14% slower than 28's

However, it's not just the gearing difference that causes the power loss. Stock Talon wheels and tires are pretty light and the additional rotating mass that come with most "better than stock" tires and wheels is also contributing to the equation. So if you put 30's on and 7% reduction or 32's and 14% reduction and they weigh more than stock, you will still feel a power loss, especially in the higher gears.

The suggested compensation is to go about ~50% more reduction to make up for the additional rotating mass. So for 30's, 15% gear reduction (the minimum I think you will find) is recommended. For 32's, 20-25% reductions is recommended.

You may hit the rev limiter before the speed limiter lose some top speed with 15% and you will most definitely hit the rev limiter before the speed limiter with 25% reduction.

H

HondaTech

Modifying the ring/pinion would throw to much stuff off. The speed sensors expect to see certain things and would probably freak out.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!