P1000 Re-wired the Pioneer 1000-5… ugh

fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought this 2016 1000-5 2 years ago used and the previous owners wiring was questionable at best. It was a rats nest under the hood and wires spliced into wires spliced into more wires. I added a couple light bars that didn’t help the situation. It was time for a change, fix the mess and and protect it from and voltage issues. This is still an ongoing project so I’ll update as I go but this was when I started pulling wires from under the dash:
C6FE5307 A5AD 4F02 AB0B 00F2926BFA2E

I wanted to add a second battery and isolator then decided to do a stinger relay and fuse box.
First the accessories I’m running and why it’s been a nightmare:
Winch
Heater
Windshield wiper
Blower
Radio
Light bar (wire with high beams)
Pod lights on front
Rear back up pod lights (wired to reverse and switch)
Turn signals, horn, hazards.
Plus I’m going to add some interior lights.

Not a small task but I have a little OCD and the wiring has driven me nuts since I’ve owned it. It has a Honda switch panel for the heater and wipers. All of this ran off one battery, some tied into ignition power some not.
ED12400F 7304 45F4 96AF 55A1A3C14DDF

There was 7 wires going in to negative and 5-6 going to positive plus wires spliced into those wires.
Here is the previous switch panel:
E0EAB513 EB43 4DA7 9652 810D3E952A87

None of the lights works on the switches which is really annoying so wanted to fix that and the USB port on the right of the radio didn’t work so I wanted to replace it as well. So I bought a PBR panel to replace it. Here is rewiring the switches:
38973B6E D969 4E2E 8CFC E31FACDFD10C

14E4C5E5 D1A5 4026 9EB7 20F83609E486

Here’s a pile of the wires I removed:
800AE6E6 C53B 40D3 B593 24663C03EDD8

Here is the under hood so far. Waiting for my Battery to show up tomorrow to install, then will mount the isolator and stinger but I’ve added a ground to the frame and it’s all ready.
Here’s what the under hood looks like so far:
78FCE055 A01B 428D 8BA9 C44FF29D1F3A

I had a major problem as I was testing the relay and fuse panel. I hooked the relay up to the battery and ignition power from the #5 slot on the fuse panel to test the fuse panel and make sure everything worked. Everything would turn on with the ignition fine but when I turned off the ignition the dash and accessories still had power. I had to unhook the negative to get the dash and accessories to the shut off. I rechecked all the wiring, tore apart the dash, pulled fuses and wires and cut wires, nothing was fixing the issue. It was backfeeding to the ignition. After hours of research and trying a bunch of different things, I finally figured out the relay was bad. I did the old trick you use on your starter when it fails and tapped the relay with a screwdriver and the damn thing kicked off. Brand new relay. So anyway getting a new one sent Wednesday. FM

I bought every part I could off this forum and appreciate all the info and knowledge I’ve gained.

Here is the dash so far. Waiting on a couple switches.

Hoping to finish this by Wednesday. 1905C304 0D96 4031 8FE7 ADC582C67258

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know your pain, I went through the same exact thing after buying my pioneer used. Ripped out a TON of wire and poorly installed crap. I was surprised he never had a major electrical short with some of the things I found.

I felt a lot better after doing it myself; knowing it was done "right"

fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know your pain, I went through the same exact thing after buying my pioneer used. Ripped out a TON of wire and poorly installed crap. I was surprised he never had a major electrical short with some of the things I found.

I felt a lot better after doing it myself; knowing it was done "right"
It’s has definitely been a learning process. I’ve enjoyed it and just knowing if something messes up I’ll know where to find it.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
By the way, if your ever this way, I am sure I could find a weekend worth of work for you :^) I'll buy the adult beverages.

Seriously, I envy your talent and determination.

s/f Steve

fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By the way, if your ever this way, I am sure I could find a weekend worth of work for you :^) I'll buy the adult beverages.

Seriously, I envy your talent and determination.

s/f Steve
Thanks for the kind words. Definitely more determination than talent. Someone with talent could have done this in much less time than I’ve spent on it. It’s not done either I might tear it apart again. Who knows😆

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Nice work. That new wiring job you did will save you hours of grief later on. Crappy wiring like your buggy was can cause breakdowns, discharged batteries,s and even electrical fires.

I'm curious about the leather or vinyl boots on your DCT and Sub-transmission shifters. Are those aftermarket add-ons or were the earlier Pioneers equipped with the boots when new?

The boots will prevent cold air intrusion during cold winter months.

Reactions: RedLevel and Lady01
fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice work. That new wiring job you did will save you hours of grief later on. Crappy wiring like your buggy was can cause breakdowns, discharged batteries,s and even electrical fires.

I'm curious about the leather or vinyl boots on your DCT and Sub-transmission shifters. Are those aftermarket add-ons or were the earlier Pioneers equipped with the boots when new?

The boots will prevent cold air intrusion during cold winter months.
It’s just a couple universal shift boots off Amazon. They are ~ $10 a piece and the stainless plates I cut out around them. I just made a template with cardboard around the shifters, traced it on to a couple pieces of stainless scrap I found at work and cut them out. Drill a few holes and add some stainless self tapping screws. I have a full cab and heater, this cut out all the wind blowing through the shift gates. Works really well for stopping air but it kinda looks like hell and you can’t see the shift pattern. I think it was a good trade off.

Reactions: RedLevel
fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s just a couple universal shift boots off Amazon. They are ~ $10 a piece and the stainless plates I cut out around them. I just made a template with cardboard around the shifters, traced it on to a couple pieces of stainless scrap I found at work and cut them out. Drill a few holes and add some stainless self tapping screws. I have a full cab and heater, this cut out all the wind blowing through the shift gates. Works really well for stopping air but it kinda looks like hell and you can’t see the shift pattern. I think it was a good trade off.
Also, make sure to leave all the excess boot in tact until you know it’s got enough slack to make all the shifts, then screw down the bracket over the boot, then trim the excess boot off with a razor blade. This did take me 3 boots in 2 separate orders to make the 2 boots.🤨

advertisement
Paul_H_L11

Paul_H_L11

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2021
Covington, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought this 2016 1000-5 2 years ago used and the previous owners wiring was questionable at best. It was a rats nest under the hood and wires spliced into wires spliced into more wires. I added a couple light bars that didn’t help the situation. It was time for a change, fix the mess and and protect it from and voltage issues. This is still an ongoing project so I’ll update as I go but this was when I started pulling wires from under the dash:
View attachment 279675

I wanted to add a second battery and isolator then decided to do a stinger relay and fuse box.
First the accessories I’m running and why it’s been a nightmare:
Winch
Heater
Windshield wiper
Blower
Radio
Light bar (wire with high beams)
Pod lights on front
Rear back up pod lights (wired to reverse and switch)
Turn signals, horn, hazards.
Plus I’m going to add some interior lights.

Not a small task but I have a little OCD and the wiring has driven me nuts since I’ve owned it. It has a Honda switch panel for the heater and wipers. All of this ran off one battery, some tied into ignition power some not. View attachment 279679
There was 7 wires going in to negative and 5-6 going to positive plus wires spliced into those wires.
Here is the previous switch panel:
View attachment 279680
None of the lights works on the switches which is really annoying so wanted to fix that and the USB port on the right of the radio didn’t work so I wanted to replace it as well. So I bought a PBR panel to replace it. Here is rewiring the switches:
View attachment 279682
View attachment 279683
Here’s a pile of the wires I removed:
View attachment 279684
Here is the under hood so far. Waiting for my Battery to show up tomorrow to install, then will mount the isolator and stinger but I’ve added a ground to the frame and it’s all ready.
Here’s what the under hood looks like so far:
View attachment 279686
I had a major problem as I was testing the relay and fuse panel. I hooked the relay up to the battery and ignition power from the #5 slot on the fuse panel to test the fuse panel and make sure everything worked. Everything would turn on with the ignition fine but when I turned off the ignition the dash and accessories still had power. I had to unhook the negative to get the dash and accessories to the shut off. I rechecked all the wiring, tore apart the dash, pulled fuses and wires and cut wires, nothing was fixing the issue. It was backfeeding to the ignition. After hours of research and trying a bunch of different things, I finally figured out the relay was bad. I did the old trick you use on your starter when it fails and tapped the relay with a screwdriver and the damn thing kicked off. Brand new relay. So anyway getting a new one sent Wednesday. FM

I bought every part I could off this forum and appreciate all the info and knowledge I’ve gained.

Here is the dash so far. Waiting on a couple switches.
View attachment 279688

Hoping to finish this by Wednesday. View attachment 279678
Scotch-Lok connectors are an electrical failure waiting to happen. They always fail in a year or two.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your machine snorkeled? The stock 2016 air intake will allow water to enter if you hit puddles. The 2017.5 and later have a different intake cover and a block off plate. This would be a good time to update yours while you are working under the hood if it's still stock.

The wiring looks good.
Tim

fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your machine snorkeled? The stock 2016 air intake will allow water to enter if you hit puddles. The 2017.5 and later have a different intake cover and a block off plate. This would be a good time to update yours while you are working under the hood if it's still stock.

The wiring looks good.
Tim
Not snorkeled. Probably something I’ll look at. Any brand or style to look at without cutting a hole in my hood.

Reactions: RedLevel
fuzz_nut98

fuzz_nut98

Feb 17, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Done with wiring other than I’m going to send key power directly to the radio and have the switch hooked to battery power. I’d like to be able to leave the radio on without the key on. Sometimes I’ll shut it off to run in the house or something and when I start back up the radio has to reboot and gain Bluetooth signal with my phone again.
15C94AF1 77E9 4F13 B4B2 1E66783FF10B

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!