P1000 Rear Bike Rack Interesting

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The area I bow hunt allows SXS on Named & Numbered roadways. The initial off road track is about 10 miles. Most of the guys have 4X4 pickups and throw an e-bike in the rear. They can't go in as far as I can on the SXS. E-bike access is semi unlimited so they find a way to the same area. That's an additional 4 mile bike ride.

I figured I would give the bike option a try before purchasing an e-bike. My ride is only about a mile in sugar sand with minimal water. I was amazed how quiet the ride was. I Typically walk in with my bow, tree stand and gear that's about 60# . The bike option was awesome.

The negatives
The bike was getting pelted by sand and water. I would never do this with an e-bike so the rear rack option is not really a good idea. Since I have a thick aluminum roof I may weld a couple of removable holders. Will keep you posted

Best of luck !

Rudy

IMG 20220914 171739139

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I bought my wife a Specialized Turbo Levo e-bike 2 years ago. It is a ton of fun!

Here is a picture of our trip to Wyoming where I put a couple of fork mounts on the top of my Pioneer bed. It works pretty well, but keep in mind you have to take the front wheel off to do it this way. But the good news is, that you don't get mud, rocks or worry about catching the front or rear wheel on a tree or other things on the side of the trail.

20220810 164155439 iOS

I have a 1upusa rack that will carry both bikes and slide into the 2" receiver on my Pioneer, but the bikes stick out so much on my little 520, that I will no doubt hit a tree, fence post or rock and break something. That is why I tried this. I either need a small bed extension or a ladder/canoe type rack that fits in the 2" that I can set up just so the rear wheel sits on somethings solid.

Rob

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fantastic setup. Love how you did that. My bike is a Cannondale carbon fiber F-Si. I almost totaled the gears and derailleur on that trip. I'm rebuilding the gears and bearings this week. I did mange to submerge the bike in the swamp multiple times as well. Can you send a pic on how you mounted the fork mount mechanism.

Thanks !

Rudy

IMG 20220914 171747800 HDR

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yikes! That looks pretty bad. I'm sure it will clean up, but make sure you didn't bend the rear derailleur or worse, the dropout on the frame. If needed, you can buy either if they were damaged. If your rear hub was submerged, your bottom bracket likely suffered too. Might want to pull that and make sure it's all in good order too.

I have a full carbon mountain bike too, even the wheels.

I'll get you a picture of how I mounted mine on the top of the bed. Nothing special other than a thick backer to make sure the bolts didn't pull through from the bottom.

You have thru-axles too. So its not too difficult to put the front wheel back on. Most e-bikes will be like that too. You will need to know if boost/non-boost and the diameter of your new bikes thru-axle before you order a fork mount. I did see a more universal fork mount, just not sure how it would work.

Rob

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If noise is not an issue a Coleman Ct200u-ex will fit in the bed of a 1000-5

IMG 20211109 130332

Reactions: toddvdh
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
And here’s a shot of the bottom side or I put them back and played on

Reactions: toddvdh and rudyeng
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Typically walk in with my bow, tree stand and gear that's about 60# .

How do you carry all that on a bike?

Hope the new mounting idea works for you. Roof clearance could be a problem on a 1000-5. Your bike looks a fright!

advertisement
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Op you should look at converting your current bike to an ebike, i’m not impressed with factory ebikes and what you get for the price. I’m in the process of converting my Trek Roscoe 6.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update:
I purchased an e-bike this week. I went with the Radrunner 2. They had it on sale for $ 1,299. Not bad for a 750w e-bike. I looked at the top brands but could not justify $5k+++.

I need to come up with a solid mounting system. I will probably make it bed mounted with some type of roof brace.

Reactions: Robobrainiac

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!