Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2

Then drill holes, slightly larger than 10mm.

Next I bolted these to the frame, after running a tap through the threads.

Now I can hold up a piece of metal and determine the proper angle. In this case I needed a 20 degree cut on my tube.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I want this lower mount bar to protrude out about 2" past the bed. This lower bar will need to be notched to accept the down tube. I got a $60 harbor freight notcher and it seems ok I guess. So I set the notcher to 20 degrees, rigged up my 1.75" hole saw and gave it a whirl-

Although it's a harbor freight notcher, it still beats using a grinder to try to notch tube. The notch will be rather rough at first but after you clean it up with a grinder and flapwheel it looks pretty good

Now I can weld these short lower tubes to the plates I cut and drilled earlier.

And finally bolt them to the frame-

Reactions: trigger and eastenn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
At this point I held up the down tubes to see where everything would go and at long last tack them up!

Notice the welding jacket draped over the bed on the other side to protect everything from spatter. Now the other side-

Still lots more to do, but it's starting to look like something now!

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Looking good. Just a heads up a good muffler shop could bend your 90 that's what I use to do.

Reactions: Tflynn
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
That's the exact notcher I use, except hooked to drill press.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's looking great, now you can mount you a spare tire back there.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Another thing I was thinking, the "lower bars" pictured in post 22 would make a good foundation for a tube bumper too. Just have to notch the pipe sideways instead of up and down. Not sure what aftermarket bumpers go for but the tube I used is about $2.50 per foot

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Ha @Tflynn I just noticed looking at your pics again, It looks like you borrowed my post hole digger, got one that I've done the exact same thing too...lol

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
More progress today-

I thought it would be cool to mount a D-ring shackle on the rear of the cage so I made a little whatchamacallit to mount the shackle to on a mill

Now that this piece is ready to be installed I guess I need to move on with the cage. Next step was to tack in the cross pieces and "bumper" portion. I'll let the pictures do the talking-

And lastly, the cross tube that will be used to mount the spare-

Now the cage is ready to be removed and i can finish welding the joints (which I have done as of the time I'm writing this). All that's left now is to add the spare tire mount, then paint!

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Looking good, guess I need to get to welding.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
More progress today-

I thought it would be cool to mount a D-ring shackle on the rear of the cage so I made a little whatchamacallit to mount the shackle to on a mill
View attachment 10597
View attachment 10598

Now that this piece is ready to be installed I guess I need to move on with the cage. Next step was to tack in the cross pieces and "bumper" portion. I'll let the pictures do the talking-

View attachment 10599

View attachment 10600

View attachment 10601

View attachment 10602

And lastly, the cross tube that will be used to mount the spare-

View attachment 10603

Now the cage is ready to be removed and i can finish welding the joints (which I have done as of the time I'm writing this). All that's left now is to add the spare tire mount, then paint!
Nice work!

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
@d_b, your cage is awesome! The only thing we all want to see is that thing in action!!
Yea so would I, however just started calving so I have very little time. Couple hours a night to weld right now works. lol. Love that D-ring hell I've seen less on D-9's lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!