P700 Rear Locker Brainstorming

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been doing alot of thinking on this and like I said earlier this would be my main reason for looking at the 1000. I have been curious if you could add some type of coupler in the rear drive shaft, that could be quickly unhooked or unpinned. Then just drive the rig around in for 4 wheel drive and use the front differential to pull you around. Then when you want to off road, just hook up the rear driveshaft. Just a thought.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
It wouldn't be as easy as just removing an axle. The problem is your wheel hub is held onto the knuckle by the axle. In other words, there is nothing to keep the wheel from falling off without the axle there to hold it on. Read this thread if you want a little better understanding of how all the parts work together-

P700 - SuperATV Rhino axle install

Now if you're really serious about this (willing to ruin an axle) I have an idea of how you can do it. If you completely remove and disassemble the axle and cv joints you could then reinstall the half of the cv that goes into the diff and the half of the other cv that goes in the hub. Essentially, you would have only the outer halves of the cv joints installed. No inner halves to flop around, and no axle. Your diff would still be sealed up and your wheel still secured to the rig.

I'm not recommending you do this because I'm really not positive this would be a good OR SAFE solution, just an idea that may work. I would feel terrible if you guys did this and it caused someone to get hurt so be careful whatever you do!!!!!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think @Tflynn has a good point, and this is probably not the best way to do it. One other thing to consider if you do it this way is that you are only going to have 1 rear tire breaking because the 700 uses the rear diff for the brakes. Even if there is away to open up the rear differential this could be a problem with the way it is setup. I guess I'll just live with it the way it is and if I break an axle or wear out the tires, I'll worry about it then.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think @Tflynn has a good point, and this is probably not the best way to do it. One other thing to consider if you do it this way is that you are only going to have 1 rear tire breaking because the 700 uses the rear diff for the brakes. Even if there is away to open up the rear differential this could be a problem with the way it is setup. I guess I'll just live with it the way it is and if I break an axle or wear out the tires, I'll worry about it then.
Very good point about the brakes I hadn't thought of that.

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yea I mean we're def thinking, I just wish there was an easy way out and there's not. I'm, currently crunching numbers and thinking I'm just going to sell the 700-4 and the Rincon and pick me up a 1000-5 in the September when the Louisiana tax free holiday rolls around and just have one machine instead of 2...

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't really ever use the Rincon anymore so it's def the route I'd go

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright guys I need to update the thread! I did what i said i was going to do and sold the Rincon and 700-4. I ended up finding an immaculate 2016 1000-5 with only 200 miles on it for $14k. I think I did good and still have money left over from selling my other 2 machines. The only downside is that it's red, Id rather have silver or camo but it foes have the roof, windshield, and bedliner already so its good to go...

IMG 1037

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next up is going to be some sorr of sound absorbing mat for the underside of the roof, heat shield under the seat, winch, light bar on roof, light bar on front bumper, and backup light bar, I will also look for silver or camo panels or other options as I really do not like the red

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next up is going to be some sorr of sound absorbing mat for the underside of the roof, heat shield under the seat, winch, light bar on roof, light bar on front bumper, and backup light bar, I will also look for silver or camo panels or other options as I really do not like the red
The good news is you can completely swap out all the panels for whatever color you want for around 300 bucks.

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: swsebek
H

HondaTech

The Big Red is solid as well. Those parts wouldn't get you anywhere.

K

kengineer

Apr 7, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Without getting into the rear end, with all that Honda goodness and design, if there was a way to mount one rear wheel on a bearing plate or clutch, it would make it a lot easier. Maybe something between the current wheel hub and wheel?

I like to borrow components that already exist as opposed to making my own when possible, so I am thinking of a front spindle assembly from a car that accepts the current wheel flange on one face and the wheel on the other.

Find some cheap, common, spindle maybe, even a trailer hub with mounting plate, drill, bolt, maybe scab a plate to accept the current pattern, and in my dream, use one with the same bolt pattern as existing wheel for the outboard end.

The kiss of death with this type of cobbling is to select something off a 1963 rambler cause you found one in your shed, you doom the project because when it fails, you end up hunting parts for your new orphan.

Tie Down Engineering 5-Lug Hub/Spindle End Unit for Build Your Own Trailer Axle System — 1750-Lb. Capacity Per Hub, Model# 80117 | Northern Tool + Equipment

One side would be wider, and it may damage something if you went airborne, try it and let us know!

M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok. I removed a rear axle. The axle can be disassembled with out damaging it. After removing the boots you can use a pick and remove a retainer ring. the cup and spline separate from the axle. you can leave the cup and spline in the diff ( keeping the diff sealed) I recommend cleaning all the grease out of the cup. Now you need to remove the other spline to put your hub back on. Do this by removing the boot and use a mallet to knock it off the axle. The axle has a pressure fit c clip on the end. It comes off fairly easy. Again clean all the grease out and reassemble the hub and put tires back on.

So here is the down and dirty about doing this. 1st the good news you definitely are not tearing up the grass it works! 2nd rear brake works fine since front brakes always normally do the major stopping anyway. Now the bad news when you hit the gas better do it slowly because the 1 wheel peel will definitely ruin your lawn and driveway and eat the tire. Also as you go fast the machine likes to squat in the one corner and causes you to steer the wheel to compensate.so now your steering wheel is cocked to the right as you are driving straight but that's not all if you let off the gas the machines weight will shift forward, causing the front wheels to grip and sends you turning right. What I'm saying is now you have a drivability issue at high speeds. But it drives fine under 14mph.

I reassembled my axle and put it back to normal and bought a set of turf tires that were less aggressive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!