BOX1

P1000m5 Rear pinion seal help please

catwalking

catwalking

Mar 16, 2016
fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you talking about the one at the very rear with the metal cover?

There's one bolt remove the cover and the sensor connector has a rubber boot it slides off and then you can unplug it.
Thank you so much I got it it unplugged right away

Reactions: joeymt33
P1k

P1k

Oct 7, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7917B74F 2537 4981 8B81 D2E4DBB68BA2
ECE5A470 3F99 4732 8694 83DA5525270E
after you got your new seal put in was it flush with the rear diff case ? This is how mine looks after install does this look correct?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I tried to put the puller on and pulled the cup were apart into two pieces. Good thing I know myself and bought an extra

View attachment 19711

View attachment 19712
@joeymt33 getting ready to tackle this myself, caught my front and right axle seals leaking. I'm going to replace all 3 seals and bearings in the rear differential on my 2016 P1K5D. My guess is the bellows we used early on caused the demise.

Any advice on getting this apart aside from what you already posted in this thread. From what I read both axles and the front prop shaft "should" just pop out with a good tug. Thanks for any insight you can give.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@joeymt33 getting ready to tackle this myself, caught my front and right axle seals leaking. I'm going to replace all 3 seals and bearings in the rear differential on my 2016 P1K5D. My guess is the bellows we used early on caused the demise.

Any advice on getting this apart aside from what you already posted in this thread. From what I read both axles and the front prop shaft "should" just pop out with a good tug. Thanks for any insight you can give.

You do have to remove left and right axles and the sensor and the vent to it then you can undo the four bolts that hold the rear differential in place. Once the rear differential is loose, you can move back to remove the propeller shaft. It was a real bugger just to figure out how to get the differential oriented properly so that it would drop out the bottom. So that means you will also need to remove the skid plate.

One side note, the front of the rear propeller shaft will very easily pop out of the sub transmission so watch that carefully upon reassembly

Reactions: JACKAL
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I assume that you have the shop manual for assistance? There are some special tools needed to replace the bearings. It is also required to freeze some pieces and put them back together. It looked rather difficult and required me to purchase some specialty tools so I just purchased a used complete differential off of eBay. It was a good thing that I did because I had found out that some of the differential pieces were broken inside so it was junk anyway.

If you have access to a vehicle lift, I would definitely use that. That’s not really a job I would want to do laying on my back. I would also have an extra set of hands it comes time to put it back in and line up the propeller shaft and bolt holes.

Reactions: JTW and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I assume that you have the shop manual for assistance? There are some special tools needed to replace the bearings. It is also required to freeze some pieces and put them back together. It looked rather difficult and required me to purchase some specialty tools so I just purchased a used complete differential off of eBay. It was a good thing that I did because I had found out that some of the differential pieces were broken inside so it was junk anyway.

If you have access to a vehicle lift, I would definitely use that. That’s not really a job I would want to do laying on my back. I would also have an extra set of hands it comes time to put it back in and line up the propeller shaft and bolt holes.

Thanks for the info. I bought the bearings as a precaution, just have the see what I have once opened up. I thought I was getting an odd noise back there so decided to drain the differential when only an ounce of black fluid and water came out I assumed the worst. Flushed it out put in new fluid it ran right out upon moving, so disassembly time when part get here.

No I do not have a manual or an auto lift, but I can set it up on a trailer putting it 3 ft off ground. I have looked at the parts diagrams pretty close. I will try to get a copy of at least that part of the manual. Parts won't be in for about 10 days.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I bought the bearings as a precaution, just have the see what I have once opened up. I thought I was getting an odd noise back there so decided to drain the differential when only an ounce of black fluid and water came out I assumed the worst. Flushed it out put in new fluid it ran right out upon moving, so disassembly time when part get here.

No I do not have a manual or an auto lift, but I can set it up on a trailer putting it 3 ft off ground. I have looked at the parts diagrams pretty close. I will try to get a copy of at least that part of the manual. Parts won't be in for about 10 days.

Pics of service manual incoming soon....

Reactions: JACKAL
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!