P500 rear prop shaft removal??

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
My first repair in 8750 miles-a torn boot on the rear prop shaft....Does anyone have the procedure?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had to do this several months back. Brake caliper and maybe bracket. Rear diff has to slide back, so the bolts on it come out.
My axles stayed in...but I thought I was going to have to pull them after fighting with the diff for a while. Then i let the machine down off the jack, and that gave it just enough bind relief in the rear axles to get the shaft out.

The end at the disc has a spring in that slip collar the small boot is on, and it may come apart, but with your miles, probably worth a repack with grease anyway.

The u joint slides off both the prop shaft and the output shaft, but can take some persuasion to get off. O rings seal the splines.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
rear center prop shaft----wasnt bad, I had to pack the wheel bearings anyway so the rear axels were removed....took about 15 minutes to change the boot. just rolled 10,000 miles and its only repair

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
I had to do this several months back. Brake caliper and maybe bracket. Rear diff has to slide back, so the bolts on it come out.
My axles stayed in...but I thought I was going to have to pull them after fighting with the diff for a while. Then i let the machine down off the jack, and that gave it just enough bind relief in the rear axles to get the shaft out.

The end at the disc has a spring in that slip collar the small boot is on, and it may come apart, but with your miles, probably worth a repack with grease anyway.

The u joint slides off both the prop shaft and the output shaft, but can take some persuasion to get off. O rings seal the splines.
thanks I had already removed the rear axels to repack wheel bearings-removed rear diff bolts and everything camp apart easily. Just rolled up 10,000 miles that was its first repair. Thanks again

T

Tronnie

Apr 20, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
What about shaft coming out of motor...no one or no where tells me how it comes out

J

jimhutch43

Feb 6, 2016
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Had to change the front boot on the propeller shaft. Here is what I did: I have 4 ramps 6 inches high that I use for getting under the SxS. Having the SxS up on them allows me to work on the SxS without jacking it up. I built these out of some used 2x6 I had laying around.
1. remove the center and rear belly pans
2. take the brake caliper off (2 bolts - when you reassemble you should use lock tite on the bolts) the caliper can be slid up and out of the way.
3. take the 3 bolts that hold the rear end to the frame out.
4. now you should be able to slide the rear end back 2-3 inches.
5. I used a small pry bar to push the propeller shaft off the front spline. didn't take much effort.
6. pulled the propeller shaft off the rear end spline. replacing the boot on the work bench was easy.
7. I was able to reuse the clamps holding the boot on.
8. clean the splines and re-grease them
9. the only part that was difficult was getting the boot at the rear end on properly. but about 15 minutes and many cuss words later it was on.
10. I am not a mechanic but I can find my way around a job like this. In total from driving on the ramps to driving off took about 3 hours.
Hope this helps.

I

Idahopioneer18

Oct 2, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Had to change the front boot on the propeller shaft. Here is what I did: I have 4 ramps 6 inches high that I use for getting under the SxS. Having the SxS up on them allows me to work on the SxS without jacking it up. I built these out of some used 2x6 I had laying around.
1. remove the center and rear belly pans
2. take the brake caliper off (2 bolts - when you reassemble you should use lock tite on the bolts) the caliper can be slid up and out of the way.
3. take the 3 bolts that hold the rear end to the frame out.
4. now you should be able to slide the rear end back 2-3 inches.
5. I used a small pry bar to push the propeller shaft off the front spline. didn't take much effort.
6. pulled the propeller shaft off the rear end spline. replacing the boot on the work bench was easy.
7. I was able to reuse the clamps holding the boot on.
8. clean the splines and re-grease them
9. the only part that was difficult was getting the boot at the rear end on properly. but about 15 minutes and many cuss words later it was on.
10. I am not a mechanic but I can find my way around a job like this. In total from driving on the ramps to driving off took about 3 hours.
Hope this helps.
Your tutorial list was spot on and a great asset so I wanted to thank you!!!! I don’t have the replacement boot that goes over the u-joint on the front of the shaft yet but how did you get that boot on? I see it has a metal, or tin, little housing that goes over the shaft... I guess the boot that is on the disk break end must have to come off? Thanks again

Reactions: HUCK
J

jimhutch43

Feb 6, 2016
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Your tutorial list was spot on and a great asset so I wanted to thank you!!!! I don’t have the replacement boot that goes over the u-joint on the front of the shaft yet but how did you get that boot on? I see it has a metal, or tin, little housing that goes over the shaft... I guess the boot that is on the disk break end must have to come off? Thanks again
Sorry to take so long posting this. The notification of your post went to my Spam bin for some reason.
You do not have to take the rear boot off. It will stay on the shaft and then you fit back over the rear housing when you reassemble. The front boot is held on by a, in my case, a reusable clamp. Just carefully bend the little claws up and release the 2 clamps. The forward boot will then slip off over the front. Hope this helps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!