Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got mine on this weekend. rode it a little to let it settle and I need to adjust camber. Was thinking it would be quick and easy like the front but couldn't get the rear a arm to drop from the brackets by just taking the bolts out. Didn't have time to start digging into it more. Am i missing something? Guessing the shock will need to come out as well, gonna be a few weeks before i have a chance to mess with it again

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm hoping I get to tackling this task this weekend.

Any advice before I jump in to the job? The SATV instructions are not overly detailed.

Any thing I need to do the job that isn't included with the kit? Fasteners to replace? Things to be careful of? Special tools? Torque specs? What MUST come off and what can I not fully disassemble to make the job easier?

Any lessons learned on setting camber?

It would be nice to get the job done at one time! My machine is at my place up north and I don't necessarily have as complete a set of equipment up there as I do at home. I'd like to be prepared ahead of time and get the job done in one trip.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got mine on this weekend. rode it a little to let it settle and I need to adjust camber. Was thinking it would be quick and easy like the front but couldn't get the rear a arm to drop from the brackets by just taking the bolts out. Didn't have time to start digging into it more. Am i missing something? Guessing the shock will need to come out as well, gonna be a few weeks before i have a chance to mess with it again
Yeah I just adjusted my rears. Had to unbolt the shock.

D

DDDonkey

The rear arms are easier to install in than the front arms. To make your life a little bit easier if you have the arms with you I would pre-grease them and look over the instructions on the super ATV website. Everything can be done with the basic hand tools, if you have an impact it will help out by speeding things up. There is also a YouTube video on the front and rear a-arms installs.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm hoping I get to tackling this task this weekend.

Any advice before I jump in to the job? The SATV instructions are not overly detailed.

Any thing I need to do the job that isn't included with the kit? Fasteners to replace? Things to be careful of? Special tools? Torque specs? What MUST come off and what can I not fully disassemble to make the job easier?

Any lessons learned on setting camber?

It would be nice to get the job done at one time! My machine is at my place up north and I don't necessarily have as complete a set of equipment up there as I do at home. I'd like to be prepared ahead of time and get the job done in one trip.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!
Front or rear, or all 4?

There is a picture floating around somewhere with a good starting point for the front camber settings. havent seen one for the rear though. Nothing too difficult. If your doing a arms id suggest looking into extended brake lines. The stock ones will be tight. @jak9922 makes some awesome ones. Like @DDDonkey said. basic hand tools (17mm, 14mm, and 10mm i believe) dont recall OEM shock bolt size. Mine is a 19mm. Impact is always helpful of course. May need to adjust tie rods after doing the front to get the toe right. I put in steering stops and hate the loss of turning radius, some people done use them but you need to be careful if you choose not to.

go ahead and get new ball joints for the front if you haven't already. Hit or miss about getting the old ones out without breaking.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m doing the rears.

You tube - I hadn’t thought of that - that’s a good suggestion. I’ll take a look.

I’ve got basic impact tools, so I’ll be using those.

I was concerned with removing the half shafts and knuckles and any potential complications that might make. Hopefully you tube will give some good tips!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m doing the rears.

You tube - I hadn’t thought of that - that’s a good suggestion. I’ll take a look.

I’ve got basic impact tools, so I’ll be using those.

I was concerned with removing the half shafts and knuckles and any potential complications that might make. Hopefully you tube will give some good tips!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need to remove the knuckle or axle. i used a bungee to hold it up once i had top and bottom arm off. used another bungee to hold the shock up as well.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What the easiest way to adjust the rear camber? I Put them on this afternoon, but my camber is still way positive. I had put a few extra turns in before I installed them, but it needs more.

Is there any 'easy' way? Can I just pull the bottom two fasteners and move the whole assembly out of the way and turn it out easily without having the whole thing fall apart on me?

I guess I just need to try it, but any advice before I do would be great. I'm done for the night, so I'll give it a go in the morning.

Thanks.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What the easiest way to adjust the rear camber? I Put them on this afternoon, but my camber is still way positive. I had put a few extra turns in before I installed them, but it needs more.

Is there any 'easy' way? Can I just pull the bottom two fasteners and move the whole assembly out of the way and turn it out easily without having the whole thing fall apart on me?

I guess I just need to try it, but any advice before I do would be great. I'm done for the night, so I'll give it a go in the morning.

Thanks.
Two full turns is about 1° - I recently adjusted mine . After riding where the suspension was settled I took measurement and just adjusted 2 tuns for every degree I was off of -1°. Measurement turned out right

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two full turns is about 1° - I recently adjusted mine . After riding where the suspension was settled I took measurement and just adjusted 2 tuns for every degree I was off of -1°. Measurement turned out right
OK thanks - that will be helpful!

When you adjusted them, did you just remove the 2 lower bolts? Did you have to disassemble anything else? Did you loosen anything else up to make it easier?

I'm trying to imagine the process - jack the back up, pull the lower control arm bolts, jack up the knuckle to get the arm to move so I can get the joint out of the frame to turn the adjuster?

Sorry for the simplistic questions.. and thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK thanks - that will be helpful!

When you adjusted them, did you just remove the 2 lower bolts? Did you have to disassemble anything else? Did you loosen anything else up to make it easier?

I'm trying to imagine the process - jack the back up, pull the lower control arm bolts, jack up the knuckle to get the arm to move so I can get the joint out of the frame to turn the adjuster?

Sorry for the simplistic questions.. and thanks for the advice.
So I had recently removed my lift and ridden for a bit to settle in the suspension. I measured the camber just below -4° and decided to put 5 full turns in each. I wanted to just remove the bottom 2 bolts but my skid plate prevented me from having enough room to drop them down so I unbolted the bottom A arms and made the adjustments.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I had recently removed my lift and ridden for a bit to settle in the suspension. I measured the camber just below -4° and decided to put 5 full turns in each. I wanted to just remove the bottom 2 bolts but my skid plate prevented me from having enough room to drop them down so I unbolted the bottom A arms and made the adjustments.
OK - thanks. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to just remove those 2 bolts.

I've got the HL lift kit and HL arms up front. So my camber was crazy bad. I'm anxious to get my tires more straight. It didn't look to bad with the stock tires, but with the 32 Terrabites, it looks silly.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow!

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes you can just remove the bottom bolts but you may need to pull the shock bolt too.
Wasn't a terrible job. But nothing (for me) ever goes as smooth as I'd like it to!

In the end, I tinkered around with it over the course of the weekend while stopping for frequent and sometimes long NCAA tournament breaks (Go UofM and MSU).

I got it together and had about 4 degrees positive camber. I made adjustments to both sides and did have to pull the shocks to get the lowers down to adjust. I ended up turning the adjusters farther out than I really wanted. I turned them all the way in, and then counted turns out to be consistent. I think I ended up turning them out 20 full turns! Didn't feel like there was a ton of material left threaded in. It still had some visual positive camber when I set it down, but after riding and letting is settle, it's about -1 degrees.

So next time I have a chance, I'll take a couple more turns out and hopefully get it straight. It does look a lot better with the tires nearly straight!

Thanks, Ragnar, for the approx on degrees per turn. That got me close quickly!

One question on the bushings. When I greased them, the bushings just push out. So I put them in the vise and clamped them back in. The grease came back out the check valve on the zerk fitting on 3 of 4 bushings. That bothers me a bit. The other one wouldn't stay together, so I took the fitting out, let the grease out that way, and put it back together.

I wonder if the grease is where it needs to be? I'm more use to grease coming out the other sides.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks all for the help!!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wasn't a terrible job. But nothing (for me) ever goes as smooth as I'd like it to!

In the end, I tinkered around with it over the course of the weekend while stopping for frequent and sometimes long NCAA tournament breaks (Go UofM and MSU).

I got it together and had about 4 degrees positive camber. I made adjustments to both sides and did have to pull the shocks to get the lowers down to adjust. I ended up turning the adjusters farther out than I really wanted. I turned them all the way in, and then counted turns out to be consistent. I think I ended up turning them out 20 full turns! Didn't feel like there was a ton of material left threaded in. It still had some visual positive camber when I set it down, but after riding and letting is settle, it's about -1 degrees.

So next time I have a chance, I'll take a couple more turns out and hopefully get it straight. It does look a lot better with the tires nearly straight!

One question on the bushings. When I greased them, the bushings just push out. So I put them in the vise and clamped them back in. The grease came back out the check valve on the zerk fitting on 3 of 4 bushings. That bothers me a bit. The other one wouldn't stay together, so I took the fitting out, let the grease out that way, and put it back together.

I wonder if the grease is where it needs to be? I'm more use to grease coming out the other sides.....

Any thoughts?

Mine were hard to take grease at first but after a couple rides I am able to see grease coming out the ends when I put it in.

Reactions: Remington
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Any thoughts?

It helps to loosen the a arm bolts before greasing. Some of us also ground some small grooves in the sleeve to help the grease get to the ends.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It helps to loosen the a arm bolts before greasing. Some of us also ground some small grooves in the sleeve to help the grease get to the ends.
Now that you say that, I recall seeing that in some other threads. That sounds like a good idea.

How did you do it? Just 1 slot down a bearing? Any pictures available?

I think I remember reports that the bushings wear sorta fast?

It would be nice to increase the longevity of the bushings if possible.

Thanks!

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that you say that, I recall seeing that in some other threads. That sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Thanks!
I did a couple down the length and continued it against the end to help grease get to the outside of the bushing. I have a sharp cornered diamond wheel on a bench grinder I used. If you run it dry, the sleeve will almost weld itself to the bushing.

Reactions: JTW
B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a couple down the length and continued it against the end to help grease get to the outside of the bushing. I have a sharp cornered diamond wheel on a bench grinder I used. If you run it dry, the sleeve will almost weld itself to the bushing.

I imagine you didn't slice the bushing all the way thru? Just a shallow slot? Any fear that the bushing will split where you added the slot? How deep did you make the slot? Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!