Talon Rear wheel hopping

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Went to Silver Lake Dunes yesterday. Have shocks set on soft and adjusted crossover rings about a 1/4" higher than they were from the factory. Tires set at 13 rear 11 front. When accelerating in the sand I am getting rear rear wheel hopping when spinning in the sand. Should I have tried setting the shocks to a firmer setting to stop this?

Never had a machine that had the power to climb all of the dunes before. First time over steep dune I slowed down to much at the crest and got stuck good. Two guys in RXRs came along and helped us get out. After that made sure to carry more speed and went right over every time.

Reactions: sharp
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would try more damping (higher shock damping setting). Also, lower rear tire pressure. With quads we ran pretty low pressure in sand. Without beadlock rims, you'll have to experiment carefully.

D

DDDonkey

I know my buddies at glamis run like 6 psi in he rear of there X3’s and never lose a bead, I would lower your air pressure.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely the tires causing it. Same problem with snow, but I am surprised the stock tires do that. Normally it's more aggressive tires do that. Was the sand heavy and wet?

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks all you guys except JTW LOL.
The sand was wet and mostly smooth in the morning, rained during the night.

Reactions: JTW
P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks all you guys except JTW LOL.
The sand was wet and mostly smooth in the morning, rained during the night.

I had mine out there and lowered my pressure to 7 all the way around. Zero issue with wheel hop afterwards. Just be mindful of doing donuts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!