Recommended GPS apps/mapping for Lake City, CO area

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
In a few weeks may be a bit late. Was there in Silverton second week of September in '18 and snow had already started to fall some and had ice on buggy early in the morning. Carry cold weather gear for sure!
I’m riding with some relatives of my inlaws that have done this camp for 20 years. They have advised me to bring cold weather gear also. They have seen some snow over the years, but quite infrequently. Camp is at 9600 feet on BLM land. Current 10 day weather forecast calling for highs in the mid 60’s and lows in the 40’s. Hopeful that the good weather forecast holds

Last edited:
C

Col Goose

Mar 15, 2021
Littleton, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rode Lake City trails last month. Have found Gaia to be the best GPS tracking system I've used. It's somewhat difficult to use via your phone. Purchased an IPad mini, 64G, with cellular and it's perfect. As mentioned above, COTREX is a great site for reference when riding CO trails.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Back home in Wisconsin from my Lake City trip. Gaia maps worked great. Didnt use the fan over-ride, but was glad I had it just in case. Took some altitude meds that did the job. Thanks to the forum members for their advice. Going to make this trip an annual event.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pics or it didn't happen!
How did Silverton being jerks and closing the loop instead of just town affect you?
I wondered if that would happen or if we'd still be able to make the full loop riding across the base of the mountain. That's just a s***ty thing to do. :(

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Pics or it didn't happen!
How did Silverton being jerks and closing the loop instead of just town affect you?
The Silverton closure did not affect our ride. We started at Lake City, went over Engineer Pass, visited Odom Point, and Animas Forks, went over Cinnamon Pass and back to Lake City. There is a 3.5 mile section of Hwy 149 that is temporarily open seasonally to UTV traffic to allow you to return to Lake City. I believe it closes at the beginning of October. Lake City was very UTV friendly. I posted pix in the Shots from the Trail thread. Heres one of them:
99A45806 148C 4531 9FE9 652F69A6D58A

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!