P500 Redline Oil

M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
Hello all,

I read over choices of oil and have not come across Redline Oil. It's kinda expensive but has the JASO rating. I have not changed the oil so I don't have a problem paying more for oil. I am trying to lessen the "jerk" while shifting. My wife does not like to ride with me because of the hard shifting, she thinks I am doing it on purpose. Even though I don't meet the mileage for an oil change I figure two years is long enough. Hope it shifts smoother, any thoughts? Mainly used on trails in the National forest, never deep mud Boggs. I have 27" GBC Mongrels

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all,

I read over choices of oil and have not come across Redline Oil. It's kinda expensive but has the JASO rating. I have not changed the oil so I don't have a problem paying more for oil. I am trying to lessen the "jerk" while shifting. My wife does not like to ride with me because of the hard shifting, she thinks I am doing it on purpose. Even though I don't meet the mileage for an oil change I figure two years is long enough. Hope it shifts smoother, any thoughts? Mainly used on trails in the National forest, never deep mud Boggs. I have 27" GBC Mongrels

Some of that hard shift goes away with some ride time. I would recommend the Honda oil for the first oil change, that's what I did. Don't know if Redline is synthetic or not but it's not recommended until the second change. Everything is still seating properly. You can change the gear oil in your differentials though and that might help.
@joeymt33 is our resident oil guru...he'll know more than me.

Reactions: joeymt33
M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
Some of that hard shift goes away with some ride time. I would recommend the Honda oil for the first oil change, that's what I did. Don't know if Redline is synthetic or not but it's not recommended until the second change. Everything is still seating properly. You can change the gear oil in your differentials though and that might help.
@joeymt33 is our resident oil guru...he'll know more than me.
Thanks for reply. Yes Redline is full synthetic oil. I will check and see how much mileage I have on the current oil. This is not the break in oil.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for reply. Yes Redline is full synthetic oil. I will check and see how much mileage I have on the current oil. This is not the break in oil.

Maybe some of the P500 experts can tell you if adjusting the clutch will smooth it out. I "think" the adjustment is fairly simple like the older ATVs. There's is an external screw to adjust. Just loosen the lock nut and follow the owners manual directions.

As for a good synthetic oil. My choice is HP4S from Honda. Not saying it's better than the other oils but Honda won't give you a hard time on oil choice if you show them the receipt where you bought their oil.

Reactions: trigger
M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
Maybe some of the P500 experts can tell you if adjusting the clutch will smooth it out. I "think" the adjustment is fairly simple like the older ATVs. There's is an external screw to adjust. Just loosen the lock nut and follow the owners manual directions.

As for a good synthetic oil. My choice is HP4S from Honda. Not saying it's better than the other oils but Honda won't give you a hard time on oil choice if you show them the receipt where you bought their oil.
Thanks. I hope to lessen the "jerk" during shifting. I mean it will give you whip lash. Feels like a bucking horse.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
P500 guys, can an adjustment help this issue....

M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
P500 guys, can an adjustment help this issue....
Oil change today. Drained oil and then started to remove oil filter. I decided to make sure the Redline oil is correct. The Redline is JASO MB and not MA. Not sure of the difference but I decided against using it. Going to Honda shop for oil later today.

C

Chooglin

This is the procedure for the clutch adjustment. I have found that it shifts best , if you go a little more than the 1/4 turn !
IMG 0971
When you put the cover back on the oil filter , DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM , some have snapped these bolt trying to tighten them to much !

M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
This is the procedure for the clutch adjustment. I have found that it shifts best , if you go a little more than the 1/4 turn !
View attachment 37207
When you put the cover back on the oil filter , DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM , some have snapped these bolt trying to tighten them to much !
Thanks for help. New Honda synthetic oil. Adjusted the clutch. So far it's a noticeable difference. Shifts smoother for sure. I guess it could be a combination of both new synthetic oil and clutch adjustment. Hitting the trail tomorrow.

M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
So after some concern with the specs of the Redline oil I decided not to use. On one of the bottles I read an area where is said, use for JASO MB. Well I know the Honda recommends MA and not MB. I returned the oil today. Well once I looked better the Redline was in fact JASO MA. I did a whole lot of running around for synthetic oil and I had oil I could have used all along. Oh well maybe next oil change I will give the Redline oil a try.

On a good note the P500 is shifting way better. Our ride in the woods went well.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!