sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking to get into loading. I would like a turret press. What do you guys have and use? Likes and dislikes.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you aren't looking to go the automatic route, I have had great success with the LEE turret press. I use it for handgun and rifle rounds both with great success, from .38 & .44 mag to .300 win mag rifle. Quick and easy caliber changes with a turret plate. Have had it for 20 years or more, never has failed me.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you aren't looking to go the automatic route, I have had great success with the LEE turret press. I use it for handgun and rifle rounds both with great success, from .38 & .44 mag to .300 win mag rifle. Quick and easy caliber changes with a turret plate. Have had it for 20 years or more, never has failed me.

I second that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't speak to the turret press, but have been using Hornady classic press with quick change collars. Simple, solid and and quick die changes.
Be warned, reloading will cause your gun safe to become over crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jshell3

I've owned about everything Lee makes. Not had much trouble out of any of them. The turret is more work, pulling the lever 3-4 times per round.
I have a progressive that I use now. Every pull produces a round, but it's not without its faults. Like I'm way way fast on it when it's all set and running right, but the first time a primer misfeeds (and it's particular - CCI only) then you've got to go back and UNDO a lot to start again. PITA and makes you question your finished rounds, (which ain't good) :mad:

Unless you're competition shooting, and need high quantities, I would suggest going with the auto indexing turret. It's not given me any issues.
I sold mine when I went to the progressive... and honestly, I kinda miss it.

Reactions: Corona1
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of questions for you
1. How many different calibers are you planning wanting to load
2. Rifle or pistol
3. Quanity of given caliber you want to load monthly

I have a Dillion 650 progressive press - I load 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 ACP and 223 Rem on it and it worked good for all those rounds. The owner of Dillion Precision just past away but Dillion has always had a you break it and we replace it policy for 99% of their items and I have had a few pieces replaced over the last 15 years. - long story - short I was at Dillion precision and had a broken part (that I had called about previous Friday) they had already mailed me one but gave me another while there - even when I asked to pay for it since they had already sent me one - nope the guy told me to keep it as a spare.

I know there are other good companies that make good presses but You can not go wrong with Dillion Precision.

If you have never reloaded I recommend not starting with a auto indexing progressive press like the 650 - Dillion makes other manual indexing presses that I would recommend depending on the questions above.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to load 270 first as I don't have a good factory load I'm pleased with. Then 243 for my kids. Then likely 45 and 9 mm. I would like a manual index press and am looking at the Lyman t-Mag 2. I have looked a Lee too, but have read quite a few complaints of breaking due to not being solid cut piece of metal.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking to get into loading. I would like a turret press. What do you guys have and use? Likes and dislikes.
I personally use a RCBS single stage press but I have heard really good things about the Dillon. I have a friend that has one and he can crank out rounds like a production line but his set up was really expensive.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Listen to Ragnar406,everything he said is spot on.RCBS or Lee will make you happy

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
For pistol you can't beat a Dillon - fast and does a good job.
Rifle - well a lot depends on if you want to crank out rounds or do high precession - Reg old single stage is often better for precession but if you just want standard hunting loads a Hornady or RCBS turret will do nicely. Shop around however as prices vary greatly!

Reactions: JTW
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this is an old thread but wanted to ad my two cents. If I were loading for a pistol or an AR type rifle I'd use a progressive loader. For any other rifle a single stage or turret press, personally I use a single stage RCBS Rockchucker that's ancient, I also weigh every powder charge for my rifle loads. Years ago my buddy loaned me his Dillon RL 550B to load 44 mag with, they are fine loaders. Later I was given a new in the box Lee 1000 (I think) progressive loader and honestly it's not bad. I load 44 and 40 S&W on it.

Reactions: JTW
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the REDDING T7 for my rifles in 30-06,300 win mag, .308, 6.5 creedmor, 6.5 SAUM. 7 mm mag. i shoot in PRC class and hunting rounds, but if you are shooting in F class I suggest staying with a single stage press. My Turret has about a .005 run-out vs a .0010 in a single stage c-frame.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!