P700m4 Reverse Issues

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay, feeling like a rookie still. What is that?

It's what we call guys in our line of work who don't actually know whats wrong with something. They just throw parts at it unitl something fixes the issue.

It's become more of an issue lately because Honda's troubleshooting is lame and usually just tells us to try this part and see what happens, then try something else if the issue returns. But if you take some time to understand how a system or product operates you can diagnose the problem and be confident the fix you recommended is correct and is going to alleviate the issue.
I had a feeling it was something like that. The buggy is still under the original one year warranty and then my extended warranty kicks in after that. I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought I should put that out there as well. I just want to be confident in the fix, whatever it is, if I am out and about so it does not become a problem again. That said, we are seriously considering upgrading for the reasons I mentioned above, but what a hassle and expense going through all I went through accessorizing a new rig to get it where we need it to be by winter.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a feeling it was something like that. The buggy is still under the original one year warranty and then my extended warranty kicks in after that. I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought I should put that out there as well. I just want to be confident in the fix, whatever it is, if I am out and about so it does not become a problem again. That said, we are seriously considering upgrading for the reasons I mentioned above, but what a hassle and expense going through all I went through accessorizing a new rig to get it where we need it to be by winter.
Man did you nail it on the head! I talked with the tech yesterday and he said
It's what we call guys in our line of work who don't actually know whats wrong with something. They just throw parts at it unitl something fixes the issue.

It's become more of an issue lately because Honda's troubleshooting is lame and usually just tells us to try this part and see what happens, then try something else if the issue returns. But if you take some time to understand how a system or product operates you can diagnose the problem and be confident the fix you recommended is correct and is going to alleviate the issue.
Man did you hit the nail on the head! I talked with the tech yesterday and he said they didn't know what the issue was so when they called Honda, they were unsure as well but told him to change out the ECM (even though they did not thing that was the issue they wanted him to try it). It wasn't the issue. So, they had him trying another part yesterday. Haven't heard back how that went. I'll let you know when I find out.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally . . . resolution!!! After nearly six weeks in the shop they finally figured out the problem. Honda Tech nailed it when he told me they were hanging parts. I was unfamiliar with the term and he said, "It's what we call guys in our line of work who don't actually know what's wrong with something. They just throw parts at it until something fixes the issue." As it turns out, that is exactly what happened. After several other more extensive experimental, but unsuccessful tries, they finally removed and replaced the "Gear Position Switch" and that ultimately fixed the issue. I brought the buggy home yesterday and took it for a long ride. It performed perfectly and if anything, shifted into reverse more smoothly than before and every time. Hopefully the issue is fixed now. Thanks for all your input and for hanging in there with me on this. I hope the resolution is something you can use in the future if necessary. In the meantime, my wife and I have discussed at length upgrading to the Honda 1000 Forrest. We are looking for more power, better compression on steep downhill, power steering and more clearance and it appears it has all that and more. I am going to clean my rig up and sell it. It's only a year old and only has 395 miles on it so it should not be an issue, especially with all the add-ons I've done (winch, spare, chains, window, roof, back with sliding rear window, rear view mirrors, soft doors, jack, rough radio, etc.) I believe my extended warranty is transferable as well so I should not have a problem, especially coming into summer, finding a buyer. If any of you out there have any personal experience with the 1000 Forrest I would love to hear. Thanks again, all! I will keep you up to date.

Reactions: Buggyman and Jerryg
widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Man did you nail it on the head! I talked with the tech yesterday and he said

Man did you hit the nail on the head! I talked with the tech yesterday and he said they didn't know what the issue was so when they called Honda, they were unsure as well but told him to change out the ECM (even though they did not thing that was the issue they wanted him to try it). It wasn't the issue. So, they had him trying another part yesterday. Haven't heard back how that went. I'll let you know when I find out.
You were right HT. They finally found the right part. They removed and replaced the Gear Position Switch.

Reactions: Buggyman
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally . . . resolution!!! After nearly six weeks in the shop they finally figured out the problem. Honda Tech nailed it when he told me they were hanging parts. I was unfamiliar with the term and he said, "It's what we call guys in our line of work who don't actually know what's wrong with something. They just throw parts at it until something fixes the issue." As it turns out, that is exactly what happened. After several other more extensive experimental, but unsuccessful tries, they finally removed and replaced the "Gear Position Switch" and that ultimately fixed the issue. I brought the buggy home yesterday and took it for a long ride. It performed perfectly and if anything, shifted into reverse more smoothly than before and every time. Hopefully the issue is fixed now. Thanks for all your input and for hanging in there with me on this. I hope the resolution is something you can use in the future if necessary. In the meantime, my wife and I have discussed at length upgrading to the Honda 1000 Forrest. We are looking for more power, better compression on steep downhill, power steering and more clearance and it appears it has all that and more. I am going to clean my rig up and sell it. It's only a year old and only has 395 miles on it so it should not be an issue, especially with all the add-ons I've done (winch, spare, chains, window, roof, back with sliding rear window, rear view mirrors, soft doors, jack, rough radio, etc.) I believe my extended warranty is transferable as well so I should not have a problem, especially coming into summer, finding a buyer. If any of you out there have any personal experience with the 1000 Forrest I would love to hear. Thanks again, all! I will keep you up to date.
You will like the 1000. I have really enjoyed mine since upgrading from my old 700

H

HondaTech

You were right HT. They finally found the right part. They removed and replaced the Gear Position Switch.

Some of us dealer techs actually try to fix things instead of throwing parts. The troubleshooting in our manuals isn't that great, it takes some knowledge and experience to figure this stuff out sometime.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of us dealer techs actually try to fix things instead of throwing parts. The troubleshooting in our manuals isn't that great, it takes some knowledge and experience to figure this stuff out sometime.
Hopefully what they found with mine will help.

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!